The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd like to see the All-22 film of that first play.
Is he that good though? Im Coming to the conclusion we should just pay Wes. We need him in this offense dont low ball him a poor contract.

Also bears wr \ st Johnny Knox has had to retire. Sad news.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
Is he that good though? Im Coming to the conclusion we should just pay Wes. We need him in this offense dont low ball him a poor contract.

Also bears wr \ st Johnny Knox has had to retire. Sad news.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i

Jake Ballard is a solid tight-end. Great ctaching skills and can block too. He was proving quite a weapon for NY before he got injured and we snagged him. He has starter potential. Seeing as he is now behind Gronk and Hernandez, we officially have the most loaded TE set ever.
Original post by Authority_Song
Jake Ballard is a solid tight-end. Great ctaching skills and can block too. He was proving quite a weapon for NY before he got injured and we snagged him. He has starter potential. Seeing as he is now behind Gronk and Hernandez, we officially have the most loaded TE set ever.

Oh okay as long as its not a blocking only tight end im happy with that. Seen the Dennard case ? Could we possibly be needing another DB... Something seems amiss in the case.
Ballard was very good, who knows how he is now.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Ballard was very good, who knows how he is now.

Oh take it you may be a Giants fan? Mind shedding some info on what hes good at what hes not? Is he a better receiver then blocker or can he do both. Kinda curious as I haven't seen nearly enough of him to know what he was like.
Oh take it you may be a Giants fan? Mind shedding some info on what hes good at what hes not? Is he a better receiver then blocker or can he do both. Kinda curious as I haven't seen nearly enough of him to know what he was like.

Not really a fan of any team. I don't break down tape on anyone or anything, I just watch football like everyone else and that means I don't really have informed opinions on blocking tight ends (the only difference is I don't pretend to). As far as catching he has good hands, ran good enough routes for Eli to target him a lot, not that bad after the catch for his size. He's big and strong enough to be a good blocker, but I don't know if he is or not. He had a bad injury though, and that's why everything could have changed.

I think he generally played in a classic TE position, never really removed as an X receiver like Hernandez often is. He fits very well into the Pats depth chart (assuming he's not a cripple) as Gronk's backup. It's way harder to back up Hernandez but this draft is deep at TE apparently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Troll Toll
Not really a fan of any team. I don't break down tape on anyone or anything, I just watch football like everyone else and that means I don't really have informed opinions on blocking tight ends (the only difference is I don't pretend to). As far as catching he has good hands, ran good enough routes for Eli to target him a lot, not that bad after the catch for his size. He's big and strong enough to be a good blocker, but I don't know if he is or not. He had a bad injury though, and that's why everything could have changed.

Ahh okay cheers! Hopefully the injury won't have affected him too badly.
Wes Welker looks like he will be let go... Real sad this is but the writing was on the wall. Honestly believe if he hadn't have dropped it in the Superbowl we wouldn't be having this talk. I think Hernandez becomes the new slot guy, Edelman is not a slot guy hes better on the outside. Best of luck to him and I'm a little scared to see what our offence is like without WW.
Alfonzo Dennard been found guilty of assaulting a cop. Greaaaaat

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
Wes Welker looks like he will be let go... Real sad this is but the writing was on the wall. Honestly believe if he hadn't have dropped it in the Superbowl we wouldn't be having this talk. I think Hernandez becomes the new slot guy, Edelman is not a slot guy hes better on the outside. Best of luck to him and I'm a little scared to see what our offence is like without WW.

As great as Welker has been during the regular season for us, his postseason drops I think will have forced the Patriots hand. They're not keen on paying big money and with Hernandez, Gronk, Edelman, Woodhead and Vereen there are plenty of people who can make up for the loss of Welkers catches. Anyway, regardless of who Tom Brady is throwing to he will find open men and be able to move the ball like he has done all his career.

As for Dennard, I've been reading a few things that say an offence like his is usually probation to 180 days in lockup. I'd imagine being a famous professional athlete he can get away with probation. You'd hope so seems as other players seem to be able to get away with murder (Literally - Donte Stallworth).
Original post by Colinthepod
As great as Welker has been during the regular season for us, his postseason drops I think will have forced the Patriots hand. They're not keen on paying big money and with Hernandez, Gronk, Edelman, Woodhead and Vereen there are plenty of people who can make up for the loss of Welkers catches. Anyway, regardless of who Tom Brady is throwing to he will find open men and be able to move the ball like he has done all his career.

As for Dennard, I've been reading a few things that say an offence like his is usually probation to 180 days in lockup. I'd imagine being a famous professional athlete he can get away with probation. You'd hope so seems as other players seem to be able to get away with murder (Literally - Donte Stallworth).

Ray Lewis *cough cough* :wink:

I agree when it comes to post season he just doesn't wow. I think we might run a 3 tight end set more next season. Ballard and Gronk big targets while Hernandez covers the slot, depends on if Ballard has recovered though. Little worried about our O-line no doubt there will be teams who will pay Vollmer LT money which kinda sucks for us but Dante Scarnnachia has been a wizard at making some 7th rounders and such into decent players on our o line.

I say go for someone like Amendola if the Rams don't resign him and someone who is a vertical downfield threat. Not sure who the Patriots should draft though so many potential players i like the sound of though the Combine will help eliminate some probably.

I think we should look at the Nnamdi Asomugha situation. Surely he wants to win a championship after playing for a dismal Raiders and Eagles...
Ray Lewis *cough cough* :wink:

I agree when it comes to post season he just doesn't wow. I think we might run a 3 tight end set more next season. Ballard and Gronk big targets while Hernandez covers the slot, depends on if Ballard has recovered though. Little worried about our O-line no doubt there will be teams who will pay Vollmer LT money which kinda sucks for us but Dante Scarnnachia has been a wizard at making some 7th rounders and such into decent players on our o line.

I say go for someone like Amendola if the Rams don't resign him and someone who is a vertical downfield threat. Not sure who the Patriots should draft though so many potential players i like the sound of though the Combine will help eliminate some probably.

I think we should look at the Nnamdi Asomugha situation. Surely he wants to win a championship after playing for a dismal Raiders and Eagles...

I think Vollmer will get the tag.

Amendola would seem to be a pretty good fit for the Pats but it does worry me that he will be asking for too much money. Someone I'd rather see suit up for us is Percy Harvin and he seems more up BB's street than Amendola.

As for the draft there are a good amount of wideouts coming out so if there is not any movement before hand on that front I'd guess at a WR first or second round pick. As much as our D improved this year I do feel its still a work in progress and a fair few draft picks should go there.

As for Nnamdi, I don't think I'd take the risk. Alright he was great at the Raiders, but it seems like it may be down to the system he was in. He was by no means a shutdown corner in Phillie. I'd much prefer to keep Aqib Talib than take a shot at Nnamdi.

Lets just pray Ed Reed comes over.
Original post by Colinthepod
I think Vollmer will get the tag.

Amendola would seem to be a pretty good fit for the Pats but it does worry me that he will be asking for too much money. Someone I'd rather see suit up for us is Percy Harvin and he seems more up BB's street than Amendola.

As for the draft there are a good amount of wideouts coming out so if there is not any movement before hand on that front I'd guess at a WR first or second round pick. As much as our D improved this year I do feel its still a work in progress and a fair few draft picks should go there.

As for Nnamdi, I don't think I'd take the risk. Alright he was great at the Raiders, but it seems like it may be down to the system he was in. He was by no means a shutdown corner in Phillie. I'd much prefer to keep Aqib Talib than take a shot at Nnamdi.

Lets just pray Ed Reed comes over.

I think Vollmer will as well. Hes crucial, whilst his health may be poor hes a great tackle and can go RT and LT. Asomugha in Phillies system was never going to work, was destined to fail from day one. They tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. I would gladly take the risk on Asomugha. Still very good at press coverage imagine him and Talib as our outside corners with Dennard playing the slot. McCourty and Elam/Kenny Vaccaro/ Kenny Phillips/ Reed and we start to look like a pretty good secondary! Improve the pass rush with someone like Desmond Bryant who could come cheap and our Defense looks better then average.

We need to get 2 good WR though Amendola shouldn't ask for much too many injuries and someone from the draft possibly because this years WR's are darn stacked. I'm glad i don't have a number one pick this year because there's no real elite talent. Their all very good spread from possibly first to second rounds.

You mean the Combine? :tongue:

Saw that its insane!
You mean the Combine? :tongue:

Saw that its insane!

Haha getting slightly ahead of myself, the perils of multi-tasking!
Original post by Tokyoround
Haha getting slightly ahead of myself, the perils of multi-tasking!

Same im excited for the Draft!
Tavon Austin just ran a 4.25 holy ****... I want this guy even more on the patriots now...
Some of the WR at the combine today... Some serious talent available in the first 3 rounds id say. :drool:

Latest