Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RisingAngel-007
I cannot wait for MAN of STEEL!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! The trailer looks amazing :smile:
Original post by Deshi
Thoughts on How to Train Your Dragon?

I enjoyed it but think it would have been much better watching it on the big screen.

I love that film. :love:

Watched Hotel Translyvania and Pulp Fiction last night. Former wasn't all that good. The second was alright but think I might have to watch it again to fully appreciate it.
Reply 8402
Saw Inglorious Basterds last night. Didn't like the fact that they played out Hitler to be a complete idiot and jackass. There's a difference between being evil and just plain stupid :erm: But other than that, loved Waltz :smile:
Original post by Revent
Saw Inglorious Basterds last night. Didn't like the fact that they played out Hitler to be a complete idiot and jackass. There's a difference between being evil and just plain stupid :erm: But other than that, loved Waltz :smile:

Hitler was somewhat stupid. If he had let the German generals run the war they might have won. He was too crazy I think. Most likely they would not have attacked Russia and Europe would have been Germany in the West and Russian in the East for a few years until they started a war.
Reply 8404
Original post by danny111
Hitler was somewhat stupid. If he had let the German generals run the war they might have won. He was too crazy I think. Most likely they would not have attacked Russia and Europe would have been Germany in the West and Russian in the East for a few years until they started a war.

Yeah, probably, but they definitely did overplay his stupidity. He didn't just magically become the leader of Germany because he was completely incompetent you know :tongue: Typical Americans though :lol: Reminds me of Eurotrip for some reason with all those European stereotypes overplayed A LOT. :lol:

Hmm...looking for other good films to watch now. Suggestions? :smile:
Original post by Revent
Yeah, probably, but they definitely did overplay his stupidity. He didn't just magically become the leader of Germany because he was completely incompetent you know :tongue: Typical Americans though :lol: Reminds me of Eurotrip for some reason with all those European stereotypes overplayed A LOT. :lol:

Inglourious Basterds is a pantomime, and as such Hitler is made into a pantomime villain. The film never once tries to be real, so there's no reason for a realistic portrayal. I don't think it takes anything away from the film, it's clear from the start of both IB and DU that Tarrentino isn't going for the gritty realism and thoroughly researched approach.

Its certainly much easier to defend than many other Hollywood interpretations of foreign characters (or lack thereof).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8406
Original post by Svenjamin
Inglourious Basterds is a pantomime, and as such Hitler is made into a pantomime villain. The film never once tries to be real, so there's no reason for a realistic portrayal. I don't think it takes anything away from the film, it's clear from the start of both IB and DU that Tarrentino isn't going for the gritty realism and thoroughly researched approach.

Fair enough :tongue: Had to google pantomime though :colondollar: I guess that makes sense then :lol:
Original post by Revent

Silver Linings Playbook is my favourite movie that I saw recently. Some other Oscar nominated films, Django, Zero Dark Thirty. Others I saw recently, Perks of Being a Wallflower and Mr. Brooks was also pretty good.
Reply 8408
Saw Argo. Thought it was rather average, really, and not as good as either The Town or Gone Baby Gone. I can see why it might win Best Picture at the Oscars, but it wouldn't be anywhere near my Best of the Year list. :no: The main positive for me was that it was fairly engaging throughout and well directed in some places. Did anyone else feel uncomfortable with the way the film portrayed the Iranian public? Like Zero Dark Thirty, I thought it was very much a one-standpoint film.

Original post by Revent

What sort of film are you looking for? :smile:
I saw Sin Nombre last night. It felt like it was trying a touch too hard to mimic City of God (gangsters and corruption of youth etc.), but all the train scenes were really amazing (and got me wondering about the logistics of shooting on top of a moving train, must be difficult). A little too much emphasis on rape though - rape seems to be the lazy trope to show who are the really bad guys are in too many films. The ending was really abrupt too, would've loved another hour or so to complete the journey.

Well worth a watch! Action packed but didn't really have a message or observation to push it into being a truly poignant film.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8410
Original post by Abiraleft
Saw Argo. Thought it was rather average, really, and not as good as either The Town or Gone Baby Gone. I can see why it might win Best Picture at the Oscars, but it wouldn't be anywhere near my Best of the Year list. :no: The main positive for me was that it was fairly engaging throughout and well directed in some places. Did anyone else feel uncomfortable with the way the film portrayed the Iranian public? Like Zero Dark Thirty, I thought it was very much a one-standpoint film.

What sort of film are you looking for? :smile:

Anything good really :tongue: I'm open to films that aren't necessarily big titles :lol: It's just that I like to watch my films in the cinema :smile:

Silver Linings Playbook is my favourite movie that I saw recently. Some other Oscar nominated films, Django, Zero Dark Thirty. Others I saw recently, Perks of Being a Wallflower and Mr. Brooks was also pretty good.

Oh I loved Silver Linings! Was a great film! :yep: Don't plan on watching Zero Dark Thirty though :erm: Mr Brooks looks good though, will check it out :smile:
Reply 8411
Amour. :love:

See what I did there? :getmecoat:

But yeah, lovely little film. Beautifully tragic. Must catch up on Haneke's other works!
I have seene 5/9 Oscar-nominated films now, about to see a sixth, Beasts of the Southern Wild. My order right now:

Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
Argo

I caught it recently and didn't think it was that bad. Solid drama/thriller and would rate it better than The Town (not seen Gone Baby Gone). Thought it was well scripted and directed for the most part but agreed, it probably wouldn't make a 2012 top 5 for me (it was one of the better films I've seen that are up for the Best Picture Oscar however). There were a few Hollywood-ised parts I could've done without, but can't have everything :tongue:

With respect to how the Iranian public were portrayed, I wasn't uncomfortable at all. Argo spoilers:

Spoiler

I have seene 5/9 Oscar-nominated films now, about to see a sixth, Beasts of the Southern Wild. My order right now:

Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
Argo

Interesting order :beard: What ratings would you give to SLP and Argo?
Original post by Hugo Rune

Interesting order :beard: What ratings would you give to SLP and Argo?

Silver Linings Playbook - 9
Django - 8
Zero Dark Thirty - 8
Life of Pi - 8
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 7
Argo - 7

There is something I didn't like about Argo. Don't know what though. Beasts of the Southern Wild I just saw and I felt like I missed something, although it was beautiful in places.
But yeah, lovely little film. Beautifully tragic. Must catch up on Haneke's other works!

I've seen Hidden and The White Ribbon. Both top quality films but Hidden leaves you with nothing but questions, which is something I like in a film.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I've seen Hidden and The White Ribbon. Both top quality films but Hidden leaves you with nothing but questions, which is something I like in a film.

I think Haneke is a superb film maker. You should check out The Piano Teacher and Funny Games too. Both dark and excellent.

Btw - there's an English language version of Funny Games called Funny Games US which is a very rare case of an English language re-make being as good as the original. But that's probably because Haneke made it himself!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8418
Potential double bill tomorrow of Wreck-It Ralph and Beautiful Creatures.
Dead Poets Society

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest