The Student Room Group

GCSE exams in May/June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I have 19 exams, 20 if I decided to resit a maths exam we did in november. They are:
2 Biology, 2 Chemistry, 2 Physics, 2 (maybe 3) Maths, 2 Spanish, 1 Drama, 2 History, 2 Geography, 3 English.

Best revision technique? Err well I don't know about anyone else but my school recently became a 'thinking school' where we use 'thinking maps'. They're basically snazzy ways of organising notes so they're easier to learn. Here's the website for more information: http://thinkingmaps.com/
Original post by Hannie Rose
Are you doing AQA? I'm finding it easy too, it's definitely not the challenge I was expecting.

Yep I'm doing AQA and Edexcel's spec is a lot harder:I think I seen the differentiation of x^2e^x on one of their papers which is (2x+x^2)e^x but its way more advanced than anything on AQA, that is C3(A2) content.They even had you calculating the solid formed by integration, you don't even do integration on AQA.
Original post by madfish
My parents went there tonight! Their pizzas <3 ahh it is the local GAA club :biggrin:

Jealous! Their pizzas are awesome. :biggrin: And the desserts... *salivates*

For like 5 years all I ate was chicken goujons... still love them!
Original post by BC95
Latin
History
Eng Lit.
Economics

Oh wow those look tough enough!

I'll be studying Eng.Lit next year :biggrin:
I'll have 24 exams in total!

iGCSE AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics (6 papers)
iGCSE Edexcel Maths (2 papers)
iGCSE Edexcel French (3 papers including speaking)
iGCSE English language and literature (2 papers, coursework option)
OCR RS short course (2 papers)
OCR Modern World History (2 papers)
Edexcel Geography (3 papers)
WJEC Latin (4 papers)

With my mocks being in January, I did a lot of revision over the Christmas holidays, but not enough! Since then I've been doing half an hour or so of revision just here and there, but my proper revision is starting this week, February half term.

To be honest I'm using different revision techniques for every subject, but one I find very useful is to write key words, phrases and facts on revision cards (about 50p for a pack of 50 from wilkinsons!) with LOTS OF COLOUR - coloured pens, highlighters, anything!

To anyone else studying for iGCSEs, especially sciences, you will be aware how difficult it is to remember all the information, as it is just down to end of course exams. But the key thing is to not panic, starting now will ensure all those facts are in the back of our minds somewhere come May/June!

I suggest to anyone struggling with revision or even having difficulty planning revision the site www.getrevising.co.uk. It's quick to sign up and costs nothing, but by spending a bit of time entering the dates of your summer exams, and those days and times you can or cant revise, they will instantly generate a revision timetable for you! They also offer online revision methods such as flash cards and mind maps, which not only can you save for your own use, but you can access hundreds of other resources, made by students in the exact same position as you!

Glad to help anyone out!
Reply 105
Original post by aasvogel

Science all the way braaaa :wink:
Additional Mathematics Linear
Physics 3
Biology 3
Chemistry 3
English Literature Unit (Not too sure about how the exams are laid out)
Spanish (Not too sure about how the exams are laid out)
Economics 1 (Resit)
Economics 2
Economics 3
Astronomy (Linear)
History 2
History 3
Original post by madfish
Science all the way braaaa :wink:

Aw now! Harda beat a bitta Maths + languages :biggrin:.

I'd get fed up of Science after a week! :tongue:
Reply 108
Aw now! Harda beat a bitta Maths + languages :biggrin:.

I'd get fed up of Science after a week! :tongue:
How come? :O I love science :love:
Original post by madfish
How come? :O I love science :love:

I love reading about Science and all that craic! (reading a Science book atm) but I dunno... just find the subject in school boring! Like I know I won't do anything scientfic in life and if anything interesting comes up in textbooks (like the history of Science (which I like)), I've already read about it... :frown:
Original post by charlyspencer
I'll have 24 exams in total!

iGCSE AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics (6 papers)
iGCSE Edexcel Maths (2 papers)
iGCSE Edexcel French (3 papers including speaking)
iGCSE English language and literature (2 papers, coursework option)
OCR RS short course (2 papers)
OCR Modern World History (2 papers)
Edexcel Geography (3 papers)
WJEC Latin (4 papers)

With my mocks being in January, I did a lot of revision over the Christmas holidays, but not enough! Since then I've been doing half an hour or so of revision just here and there, but my proper revision is starting this week, February half term.

To be honest I'm using different revision techniques for every subject, but one I find very useful is to write key words, phrases and facts on revision cards (about 50p for a pack of 50 from wilkinsons!) with LOTS OF COLOUR - coloured pens, highlighters, anything!

To anyone else studying for iGCSEs, especially sciences, you will be aware how difficult it is to remember all the information, as it is just down to end of course exams. But the key thing is to not panic, starting now will ensure all those facts are in the back of our minds somewhere come May/June!

I suggest to anyone struggling with revision or even having difficulty planning revision the site www.getrevising.co.uk. It's quick to sign up and costs nothing, but by spending a bit of time entering the dates of your summer exams, and those days and times you can or cant revise, they will instantly generate a revision timetable for you! They also offer online revision methods such as flash cards and mind maps, which not only can you save for your own use, but you can access hundreds of other resources, made by students in the exact same position as you!

Glad to help anyone out!

Gah iGCSE combined science.... doing the CIE one (University of Cambridge international examinations)....

How are you revising the Combined sciences (unless your doing them separate)?
Original post by RaptorInRupture
Gah iGCSE combined science.... doing the CIE one (University of Cambridge international examinations)....

How are you revising the Combined sciences (unless your doing them separate)?

Im taking the AQA Level1/2 certificates in each of the three sciences, AQA's equivalent of iGCSE!

To revise them, I'm taking each specification and writing it out in note form (if you can memorise these, it should be exactly what is on the mark schemes, right?). Our teachers have given us the normal AQA revision guides with an insert summarising the additional information not included in normal GCSE, as an AQA revision guide for our course has not been published yet - a little annoying!
I've got hack of a lot of exams.!

- Igcses
2 English
2 Maths
3 History
3 Biology
3 Physics
3 Chemistry
4 Geography
2 Business
3 ICT
1 Music

-> 26 exams..

The thing is I haven't started my revision yet :colondollar:
Reply 113
I have:

Biology Unit 2
Chemistry Unit 2
Physics Unit 2
English Literature Unit 1
English Literature Unit 2
Geography Unit 2
History Unit 1
Religious Studies Unit 4
Spanish Unit 1
Spanish Unit 2
Drama Unit 1
English Language
Coursework moderation:

English language and literature Unit 3, Geography Unit 4, History Unit 4, Drama Unit 2, Spanish Unit 3+4, Additional Science Unit 4.

So very unprepared...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 114

English Lit is great, do you know which book you will study ?
Original post by BC95
English Lit is great, do you know which book you will study ?

The Great Gatsby and The Catcher In the Rye (already read).

I do remember walking into an English.Lit class a couple of years back and seeing Sherlock Holmes on the board so I hope that crops up. :confused:
Maths C2 AS
Maths S1 AS
English Lit Poetry
English Lit Modern Prose
History Sources
History Germany/Medicine
Geography People and the Planet
Geography Decision Making
German Speaking
German Listening
Biology B2

Possible English Language Unit 1 resit

11, possibly 12. Dear me.
I have around 15/16, I think. I've got some mock exams next week, so I'm revising for them at the moment, and then after that I'm going to start making all my revision notes, especially ones for the sciences, as they require the most revision and factual information to be learnt. When I've done all of that, I'll start learning the notes, but hopefully I will have picked stuff up and refreshed my memory on stuff when making the notes.

I'll be so glad when they are over, but I'm sure this work will pay off...
What are you studying?

I'm planning on studying Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Economics.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm planning on studying Maths,Further Maths,Physics and Economics.

Wow those subjects are my worst nightmare... 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest