The Student Room Group

Tall girls: Do you feel pressured into being skinny?

Anon because I have friends on here

Slightly odd question but do any tall girls (5"8 and above) ever feel as though they have to be a certain size or shape or take on the typical "model physique"

If so where do you think this pressure comes from ?

When I was growing up and I used to watch a lot of fashion shows. I enjoyed watching them but as a 5"11 girl they always made me feel as though I had to be "model like" to pull off being so tall. I've always been insecure about my height until I lost a lot of weight and I started to get compliments. I was just talking to another one of my friends. One is very tall and one is average height who both say taller girls look better slimmer :s-smilie:

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this/ felt this way

Many thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm 6'0 and I don't feel like I have to be skinny but I do feel as if I think taller, bigger girls would look more out of place being larger. I mean, I'm a size 12 which, in my opinion, isn't exactly skinny but I'm not obese either.
A plus size of being really tall is you can eat like a horse... well, I do anyway :biggrin:
Reply 2
Tall girls are hot. :sexface:

Skinny girls are not. :sad:
Reply 3
ewww tall girls :no:
it's a tough one
see, i'm 5'9.5 and quite slim and sometimes think i wouldn't like to gain weight in case of looking manly to some people but sometimes i do want to gain weight so i don't seem lanky and boyish to some people?
us girls put way too much pressure on ourselves and always want to make everyone else have the best opinion of our looks!
just got to put up with what you naturally are
sometimes i am insecure with my height, especially around boys when i'm in heels and i do think knowing how models have to be tall and thin makes me feel better so maybe people can think oh she could be a model and not look at that lanky get aha
Reply 5
Original post by 747-400
I'm 6'0 and I don't feel like I have to be skinny but I do feel as if I think taller, bigger girls would look more out of place being larger. I mean, I'm a size 12 which, in my opinion, isn't exactly skinny but I'm not obese either.
A plus size of being really tall is you can eat like a horse... well, I do anyway :biggrin:

A very tall size 12 looks likes very slim I know this ! :smile:

I used to be a lot bigger but always felt like I overshadowed most people which made me feel uncomfortable. This could be because of my wide frame as well :/

Original post by Dorito
Tall girls are hot. :sexface:

Skinny girls are not. :sad:

So what are tall skinny girls then?

Also, what makes tall girls so hot? I've just always wanted to know! :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I totally agree with this - I'm 5ft 11 (I think).
I've always wanted to try and be skinnier in order to feel less like a giant - I think because many of my friends are skinny and shorter, it can sometimes feel strange towering over them :redface: But I think I've come to terms with the idea of me not losing any weight anytime soon - . I've been on various diets and have never seen them through - I don't have the will power tbh :frown: ahh well :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by 2ndClass
ewww tall girls :no:

whoa what is wrong with tall girls ? Have you not SEEN the victoria secrets fashion show ?! :eek:

Original post by Laura1234567890
it's a tough one
see, i'm 5'9.5 and quite slim and sometimes think i wouldn't like to gain weight in case of looking manly to some people but sometimes i do want to gain weight so i don't seem lanky and boyish to some people?
us girls put way too much pressure on ourselves and always want to make everyone else have the best opinion of our looks!
sometimes i am insecure with my height, especially around boys when i'm in heels and i do think knowing how models have to be tall and thin makes me feel better so maybe people can think oh she could be a model and not look at that lanky get aha

Exactly how I feel! I've infact been called this many times -.- But sometimes I like being slimmer because I actually feel like one of the models (As sad as this sounds)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

I used to be a lot bigger but always felt like I overshadowed most people which made me feel uncomfortable. This could be because of my wide frame as well :/

So what are tall skinny girls then?

Also, what makes tall girls so hot? I've just always wanted to know! :smile:

What size are u now ?
Reply 9
Now this turns into a 'tall girls' bashing session :facepalm:
Quite frankly, as a 'tall girl' and in my personal opinion, I couldn't give two hoots whether certain guys thought tall girls were gross or whatever.
As a tall girl, I didn't choose that I wanted to be tall before I was born, that was what I was given so why do some people think it's ok to go around making tall people feel bad because of their height. And for anybody's looks quite frankly, people can't help the way they are.
Personally, I love being tall :biggrin: I wouldn't have it any other way.
I think some guys should google, Napoleon Complex aka Short Man Syndrome :ciao:
Sorry for my rant, I just hate it when people slate a group of people online for the way that they look, most people are nothing behind a keyboard.
Reply 10
Original post by jojo1995
Yeah I totally agree with this - I'm 5ft 11 (I think).
I've always wanted to try and be skinnier in order to feel less like a giant - I think because many of my friends are skinny and shorter, it can sometimes feel strange towering over them :redface: But I think I've come to terms with the idea of me not losing any weight anytime soon - . I've been on various diets and have never seen them through - I don't have the will power tbh :frown: ahh well :tongue:

Honestly just drinking more water and cutting out junk food will do the trick! I've tried diets and they never worked but getting rid of bad foods and eating healthier foods definitely did the trick :smile:
Reply 11

Yeah I think taller people, like 5'10+ tall can be a dress size bigger than someone shorter but they still look the same size? Guess it's a benefit!
Reply 12
Original post by jojo1995
What size are u now ?

Size 8/10 and 5"10.5 (180 cm)

I like bodycon dresses and heeled so I feel so lanky :frown:
Original post by 747-400
Now this turns into a 'tall girls' bashing session :facepalm:
Quite frankly, as a 'tall girl' and in my personal opinion, I couldn't give two hoots whether certain guys thought tall girls were gross or whatever.
As a tall girl, I didn't choose that I wanted to be tall before I was born, that was what I was given so why do some people think it's ok to go around making tall people feel bad because of their height. And for anybody's looks quite frankly, people can't help the way they are.
Personally, I love being tall :biggrin: I wouldn't have it any other way.
I think some guys should google, Napoleon Complex aka Short Man Syndrome :ciao:
Sorry for my rant, I just hate it when people slate a group of people online for the way that they look, most people are nothing behind a keyboard.

Agreed. Do you think some men feel intimidated by tall girls ?
Reply 13
Size 8/10 and 5"10.5 (180 cm)

I like bodycon dresses and heeled so I feel so lanky :frown:

Agreed. Do you think some men feel intimidated by tall girls ?

DEFINITELY!!
I think it's great though :biggrin:
Really doesn't bother me if a guy is intimidated by me, quite frankly, it puts female equality into a whole new perspective for me.
To be honest, I could never be with a guy who felt intimidated of a girl because of her height. It's almost laughable...
While I would like to be slimmer, it's not just because I'm tall that I feel I should be.

I don't know whether anyone here has looked at plus sized clothes, but they really don't seem to be made for taller girls! There definitely does seem to be an idea that tall girls = skinny girls!

I've always been someone whose struggled with size/weight - I'm glad I'm taller though, someone my size who is much shorter looks much bigger...that said I've been a bit self-conscious about both my weight and my height before.
Reply 15
Honestly just drinking more water and cutting out junk food will do the trick! I've tried diets and they never worked but getting rid of bad foods and eating healthier foods definitely did the trick :smile:

Omg - you did it over a long period of time ? :redface:
I'm fine with how I am - but losing wieght would be nice :smile: any other tips ? because I'm not a huge fan of water drinking... I'm more a green tea girl :biggrin:
Original post by Laura1234567890
it's a tough one

agreed and us girls are under so much pressure about our looks in general.
Reply 17
Original post by elitemodella
agreed and us girls are under so much pressure about our looks in general.

Because us guys aren't. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
I'm 5"9. Yes I do feel the pressure to be skinny, but then again I think most women do in 2013. I reckon I'd feel the same way if I was shorter - most of my friends are concerned with their weight, as young women are, whether they are 5"6 or 5"2.
Some people think size 0 when they say "skinny". I simply think "slim". The ideal is to be slim regardless of height. Some taller girls want to fit into that swimsuit model category. Short girls generally look best when they are overall "petite", Eva Longoria style, and therefore thrive for that ideal.
The beauty image has changed in the past 30-40 years, and it's not just high fashion models. Men have changed their preferences as well - they grew up jerking off to Victoria's Secret models. I read that the average Playboy model today has an underweight BMI, which they didn't 30 years ago. Most of the models in men's magazines are in fact underweight. Men are just as receptible to social conditioning as women are. The idea that men will only be drawn to women who look "fertile" is no longer true - plenty of sex symbols have narrow hips and straight bodies - they do not signalize fertility, yet they are sex symbols.
I will admit that my goal weight is one that would make my BMI "underweight". I don't feel underweight when I'm at that weight - my stomach is flat and my thighs are slim, but I do in fact have to eat and diet unnaturally in order to get there - as most "hot" models out there do too. If I eat a normal, healthy diet and exercise regularly, I will still be a few pounds over what is ideal aesthetically. I know many models - they do not have normal diets. In one way or another, at least occasionally, they will starve themselves. That goes for swimwear and underwear models too.
There is a misconception that "anorexic" means a woman has bones sticking out or a tube with artificial food into her nose. Anorexia is an eating disorder, and plenty of women have it, even if they look just "slim" (or "she has a great body"). I know several women with eating disorders, and they are very popular with men.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dnno man, I like chubby girls. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest