Durham
Visit website

Castletalk

Because Hatfield have their own thread :rolleyes:

and also we're Castle! Let the Castle spirit roll on :holmes:

Subject?: Chem
Firming?: Certainly ^^
Visit day?: Mon/tue

I must admit there are probably more societies I want to join at Durham than I have time for. Maybe Castle has a timeturner?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Silverland
Because Hatfield have their own thread :rolleyes:

and also we're Castle! Let the Castle spirit roll on :holmes:

Subject?: Chem
Firming?: Certainly ^^
Visit day?: Mon/tue

I must admit there are probably more societies I want to join at Durham than I have time for. Maybe Castle has a timeturner?

Not much talking going on here :wink: But wooo, castle :biggrin:

Subject: Engineering
Firming: Maybe
Visit day: Not sure yet, still need to book :rolleyes:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by kingkong95

Yeah, there aren't that many here who seem to have got a Castle offer :s-smilie:

So where else are you considering firming then? :]
Reply 3
Yeah, there aren't that many here who seem to have got a Castle offer :s-smilie:

So where else are you considering firming then? :]

Hmm yeah, I'm surprised there aren't more, I thought castle was the most popular college? :tongue:

I'm not really sure yet, Durham is my favourite on paper but the open day in march will be the first time I've visited :smile: If not Durham I think I'll firm Exeter, but I've still got to wait for a response from Bristol before I make any decisions...

So, which societies do you think you'll be joining then? :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm yeah, I'm surprised there aren't more, I thought castle was the most popular college? :tongue:

I'm not really sure yet, Durham is my favourite on paper but the open day in march will be the first time I've visited :smile: If not Durham I think I'll firm Exeter, but I've still got to wait for a response from Bristol before I make any decisions...

So, which societies do you think you'll be joining then? :smile:

It's the most popular for applications, but I think on tsr a lot of people chose a 'safer option' in a college that they'd like but had a greater chance of getting into as Castle is so competitive.

Yeah, I've actually not visited before either, but really Durham's the only one of my offers I want to go to. Still, I'll probably firm after the visit day just because I can. I've already got student finance sorted and such and hopefully I meet the A*AA offer.

There are so many societies I like the look of. The Chemical society will have to be up there, and the Skills exchange society looks good too. Other than those I'll probably try a bit of Croquet (because I suck at nearly every other sport and there must be one I can do), join a CU and maybe one of the theatre/sketch societies. I can't deny that I like the look of the board games, pokémon and chess societies too, but I doubt I'd have time for any more. Heh. Having said all that though, what I'd want to do most of all is get onto the university challenge team some day.
Other than those I'll probably try a bit of Croquet (because I suck at nearly every other sport and there must be one I can do), join a CU and maybe one of the theatre/sketch societies. I can't deny that I like the look of the board games, pokémon and chess societies too, but I doubt I'd have time for any more.

Just want to interject that the Games Society is awesome, and covers a lot more ground than just board games!
Reply 6
It's the most popular for applications, but I think on tsr a lot of people chose a 'safer option' in a college that they'd like but had a greater chance of getting into as Castle is so competitive.

Yeah, I've actually not visited before either, but really Durham's the only one of my offers I want to go to. Still, I'll probably firm after the visit day just because I can. I've already got student finance sorted and such and hopefully I meet the A*AA offer.

There are so many societies I like the look of. The Chemical society will have to be up there, and the Skills exchange society looks good too. Other than those I'll probably try a bit of Croquet (because I suck at nearly every other sport and there must be one I can do), join a CU and maybe one of the theatre/sketch societies. I can't deny that I like the look of the board games, pokémon and chess societies too, but I doubt I'd have time for any more. Heh. Having said all that though, what I'd want to do most of all is get onto the university challenge team some day.

Where else have you got offers for? I would be really happy to go to any of my offers, but I think Durham and Exeter just about take the lead :smile:

For me it'll be the engineering related societies, such as Formula Student or Engineers Without Borders, both of which look awesome :biggrin: And maybe the cycling club, or something more adventurous like climbing/mountaineering, if I have time.

I tried croquet at an Oxford open day once, it's quite fun but I'm not sure it should really be called a sport :wink: And to get on the University Challenge team would be awesome, I hope you succeed :smile:
Reply 7
Where else have you got offers for? I would be really happy to go to any of my offers, but I think Durham and Exeter just about take the lead :smile:

For me it'll be the engineering related societies, such as Formula Student or Engineers Without Borders, both of which look awesome :biggrin: And maybe the cycling club, or something more adventurous like climbing/mountaineering, if I have time.

I tried croquet at an Oxford open day once, it's quite fun but I'm not sure it should really be called a sport :wink: And to get on the University Challenge team would be awesome, I hope you succeed :smile:

I have offers for Bristol, Manchester and York. I'm not thrilled by any of them though really and have already put my mind to Durham. The others just aren't the same for me. No castle for a start :tongue:

Have you decided on which of the days you'll be going to the uni yet?

Yeah. I have dreams of beating the Cam college which rejected me in a final, and having them apologise for rejecting me. Completely insane, but still a dream :h:
Reply 8
I have offers for Bristol, Manchester and York. I'm not thrilled by any of them though really and have already put my mind to Durham. The others just aren't the same for me. No castle for a start :tongue:

Have you decided on which of the days you'll be going to the uni yet?

Yeah. I have dreams of beating the Cam college which rejected me in a final, and having them apologise for rejecting me. Completely insane, but still a dream :h:

They're all good uni's, but I can see they might not have the Oxbridge/Durham appeal :tongue: The more I read the more I think Durham is the right choice for me, shame it's so far away though!

Annoyingly I don't have a choice for the residential any more, Monday/Tuesday is already fully booked so I'm going Tuesday/Wednesday instead. It's a bit annoying because a friend of mine also got an offer for Castle and booked onto the Monday/Tuesday open day, before I was even told I was into castle :/

Haha, I hope you succeed :smile: My friend got into Pembroke, so Durham beating Pembroke would give me bragging rights :biggrin:
Reply 9
They're all good uni's, but I can see they might not have the Oxbridge/Durham appeal :tongue: The more I read the more I think Durham is the right choice for me, shame it's so far away though!

Annoyingly I don't have a choice for the residential any more, Monday/Tuesday is already fully booked so I'm going Tuesday/Wednesday instead. It's a bit annoying because a friend of mine also got an offer for Castle and booked onto the Monday/Tuesday open day, before I was even told I was into castle :/

Haha, I hope you succeed :smile: My friend got into Pembroke, so Durham beating Pembroke would give me bragging rights :biggrin:

Heh. Durham's about twice as close as Cam would've been for me actually, so there's always a bright side I guess.

Ah well. I'm sure some fun people will be there tue/wed also.

Yeah. Pembroke being complete UMS Nazis didn't want me at all, or at least their feedback was along the lines of everything was perfect except we take UMS as everything. Wish I'd have applied to Oxford instead. Oh well
Reply 10

yeh im doing engineering too, 1st choice, going up on the tues and wed
Reply 11
Original post by cgpboy
yeh im doing engineering too, 1st choice, going up on the tues and wed

Awesome :smile: I'm going up on the Tuesday too, what time do you think you'll be getting there?
Reply 12
Awesome :smile: I'm going up on the Tuesday too, what time do you think you'll be getting there?

my train gets in at 13.30ish. how about you
Reply 13
Original post by cgpboy
my train gets in at 13.30ish. how about you

Mine is at 1:45 ish, good to know I'm not the only getting there early :L
Reply 14
Is anyone else going to the Monday-Tuesday open day? :P
Reply 15
So, what did everyone think of Castle then?? I thought it was absolutely brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 16
So, what did everyone think of Castle then?? I thought it was absolutely brilliant :biggrin:

This

just when you think you've seen the most awesome room ever there are like another 5 more! (crypt, hall, hall balcony, keep, gatehouse, Undercroft. I could go on :lol: )

Awesome place, met some great people, and it can only be 100 times better in the sun :moon:
Reply 17
This

just when you think you've seen the most awesome room ever there are like another 5 more! (crypt, hall, hall balcony, keep, gatehouse, Undercroft. I could go on :lol: )

Awesome place, met some great people, and it can only be 100 times better in the sun :moon:

I know, it was amazing! Everything about the college was fantastic, I really hope I get the grades now! Haha, yeah, I bet it looks even better when it's sunny :smile:

Did you get told about the college 'wife' and 'children' thing? It sounds like such a good idea but It's so strange to hear the current students talking about their 'children' :lol:
Reply 18
I know, it was amazing! Everything about the college was fantastic, I really hope I get the grades now! Haha, yeah, I bet it looks even better when it's sunny :smile:

Did you get told about the college 'wife' and 'children' thing? It sounds like such a good idea but It's so strange to hear the current students talking about their 'children' :lol:

I'm glad you liked it too. Really can't wait to join. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but whenever anyone from the other colleges found out myself and my friends had got into castle they were rather jealous :'3

Myself and a few other crept around the castle a bit actually into the off-limits bits thinking that this was our only chance ever to do so (under the guise of lost applicants :teehee: ) and that was good fun. The single room in the gatehouse itself seems the best and I'd love to have that, but any in the castle would be great.

I hadn't heard of the children thing actually at Durham. I heard of a similar thing at Cam though and can't see it being too different. I've forgotten how it works though =p
Reply 19
I'm glad you liked it too. Really can't wait to join. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but whenever anyone from the other colleges found out myself and my friends had got into castle they were rather jealous :'3

Myself and a few other crept around the castle a bit actually into the off-limits bits thinking that this was our only chance ever to do so (under the guise of lost applicants :teehee: ) and that was good fun. The single room in the gatehouse itself seems the best and I'd love to have that, but any in the castle would be great.

I hadn't heard of the children thing actually at Durham. I heard of a similar thing at Cam though and can't see it being too different. I've forgotten how it works though =p

Haha, yeah, I thought that, we are very lucky to have got in! :biggrin: Ahh I wish I had thought of doing that! Although I don't think there was any part of the castle that I wasn't shown on the tour, except I'm not sure if I got to see garden steps/stairs (? can't remember what it was called). I was in a single room in the keep for the open day, but I think I would be just as happy to be in moatside :smile: Not sure about sharing a room though...

Oh right, well I think it's basically a mentoring scheme which gives first years someone familiar to talk to that knows how Durham works :smile: I kept hearing stories of some of the 'proposals' people have done, a lot of them are surprisingly elaborate!

Quick Reply

Latest