Scroll to see replies

Original post by danny111
Silver Linings Playbook - 9
Django - 8
Zero Dark Thirty - 8
Life of Pi - 8
Beasts of the Southern Wild - 7
Argo - 7

There is something I didn't like about Argo. Don't know what though. Beasts of the Southern Wild I just saw and I felt like I missed something, although it was beautiful in places.

Was just wondering what the range was really and 9 through to 7 seems like quite a close spread to me. 7's respectable.
Original post by Hugo Rune
Was just wondering what the range was really and 9 through to 7 seems like quite a close spread to me. 7's respectable.

Because they are "good" films. A film should in my eyes at least be a 7 if it is nominated for an Oscar. The academy people can't get it that wrong. There are probably exceptions, but don't you think? I mean a 6 already I vote a better than average romcom if it entertained me. On a scale of 1 to 10, 5.5 is the average and since you can vote 0.5's 6 just means slightly better than average and 5 slightly worse.

Btw of all the films I rated on IMDB, my average is 6.940 and IMDBs is 6.937. Quite high I think, but may have to do with the fact that I don't tend to watch bad films or don't finish them and then often don't vote.
Because they are "good" films. A film should in my eyes at least be a 7 if it is nominated for an Oscar. The academy people can't get it that wrong. There are probably exceptions, but don't you think? I mean a 6 already I vote a better than average romcom if it entertained me. On a scale of 1 to 10, 5.5 is the average and since you can vote 0.5's 6 just means slightly better than average and 5 slightly worse.

Btw of all the films I rated on IMDB, my average is 6.940 and IMDBs is 6.937. Quite high I think, but may have to do with the fact that I don't tend to watch bad films or don't finish them and then often don't vote.

I'd only give a film a 7 if I thought it was a 7 tbh. 'The Academy' probably do usually do have a selection of good to excellent movies each year but just because the critical or award consensus of a film is a certain mark doesn't mean I should have to agree. Django Unchained was a bit of a mess to me and thinking back to it I would probably score it a 5 (maybe a 6). It might be a "wrong" opinion to have but I'm certainly not going to up it due to it being nominated for Oscars. I like my "wrong" opinion :biggrin:

Agreed, both numbers will be higher due to more people watching better films. A lot of people on IMDB will probably be using the top 250 list as a source of a film to watch so it kinda makes sense I guess.
Original post by Hugo Rune
I'd only give a film a 7 if I thought it was a 7 tbh. 'The Academy' probably do usually do have a selection of good to excellent movies each year but just because the critical or award consensus of a film is a certain mark doesn't mean I should have to agree. Django Unchained was a bit of a mess to me and thinking back to it I would probably score it a 5 (maybe a 6). It might be a "wrong" opinion to have but I'm certainly not going to up it due to it being nominated for Oscars. I like my "wrong" opinion :biggrin:

Agreed, both numbers will be higher due to more people watching better films. A lot of people on IMDB will probably be using the top 250 list as a source of a film to watch so it kinda makes sense I guess.

Well I don't vote just by how much I was entertained, but I do try to judge the film in terms of how it was made and acting. But I agree, as I posted before on here I think, you usually vote 1 too high or 1 too low just after watching a film because you didn't have time to reflect.

And yes that is probably true.
Reply 8425
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Dead Poets Society

:frown:

I loved this film :smile:
It was such a great film though wasn't it?
Original post by Sem193
I loved this film :smile:

It was such a great film though wasn't it? And then the end - :frown:
Severe lack of To the Wonder at my local Multiplex tomorrow :frown: Hopefully it's on limited release for just a week and not longer.
Reply 8429
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
It was such a great film though wasn't it? And then the end - :frown:

It was! Daily events in my life have me thinking about some of the scenes in the film. It's also full of actors who I've never seen young so it was it nice to see them as young guys in the film. Yeah, the end :frown:

I really want to watch Cloud Atlas but it's not showing in the cinema here :angry:
Seen 500 Days of Summer and M this week.

500: Light hearted and enjoyable.

M: Terrific film. Great plot and I really did enjoy it. Wasn't quite expecting to do so that much.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Seen 500 Days of Summer and M this week.

500: Light hearted and enjoyable.

M: Terrific film. Great plot and I really did enjoy it. Wasn't quite expecting to do so that much.

M as in the 1931 film? If you liked that you should try to get ahold of one of the "Dr. Mabuse" crime films.
M as in the 1931 film? If you liked that you should try to get ahold of one of the "Dr. Mabuse" crime films.

Aye the 1931 one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply 8433

I've not had the chance to see M yet, but have you seen Metropolis? :awesome:

Yea I always wanted to see that one, never got around to it. And I mean the old Dr. Mabuse films, one from 1922 and two from 1933. There have been others later but don't know how good they are. These old ones were also directed by Fritz Lang who did M.
Original post by Abiraleft
I've not had the chance to see M yet, but have you seen Metropolis? :awesome:

Not just yet. Is that one decent as well? I briefly read something about it in my course book but can't quite remember what.
A French film, Le serpent, with Yvan Attal.

Interesting thriller. 7/10
Reply 8437
Not just yet. Is that one decent as well? I briefly read something about it in my course book but can't quite remember what.

Yeah, it's brilliant. :yep:

Though it has possibly the worst ending of any great film that I've ever seen. :sad: Deserves so much more. There are rumours that there's a different cut of it that still hasn't been found (it was slashed by the studio following its original release, and is only now being pieced back together to resemble something close to the original), but I'd say there's a good chance of that just being wishful thinking. :p:
Original post by Abiraleft
Yeah, it's brilliant. :yep:

Though it has possibly the worst ending of any great film that I've ever seen. :sad: Deserves so much more. There are rumours that there's a different cut of it that still hasn't been found (it was slashed by the studio following its original release, and is only now being pieced back together to resemble something close to the original), but I'd say there's a good chance of that just being wishful thinking. :p:

I've give it a watch some night. Thanks :h:
can some1 reccomend me a good foreign thriller/drama/crime movie as good as Une Prophet/Rundskop(Bullhead)

cheers :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest