The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily.Hart
I live in a premium single room (shared bathroom and kitchen) with a sink in my room and I love it. We have 5 bathrooms between 12 of us so it's definitely worth the £800 less you pay for for the room, you don't need an en suit... The majority of GMS is alot older but it's generally not too bad.

So do you live in GMS? What's the block name called? And are there 12 in your flat, or is that for the whole block?
:smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Hunter_scfc
I am a fresher at University of Leicester and i thoroughly recommend living in Beaumont Hall. In terms of quality it is pretty average, but it is student accommodation after all, but the social side makes it worth while. So many people in John Foster always tell me how jealous they are when they find out i live in Beaumont. The social side off the halls will defiantly make first year the best possible. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me :smile:

I loved the looo of Beaumont on my open day! What have you chosen, i.e standard/premium, shared/ensuite and catered/selfcatered? :smile:

I really cant decide whether to go premium single with washbasin and shared bathroom. Or the extra 300 a year for standard ensuite!

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the way im 100% going catered!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matty12345
I loved the looo of Beaumont on my open day! What have you chosen, i.e standard/premium, shared/ensuite and catered/selfcatered? :smile:

I really cant decide whether to go premium single with washbasin and shared bathroom. Or the extra 300 a year for standard ensuite!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am premium single catered. I really wanted an ensuite and i was annoyed when i didn't get it but in truth it isn't a problem and i am glad i saved money. The ensuite rooms are bigger and it is easier for a shower but i've never had a problem with the showers/had to wait. I thought i wouldn't like sharing but it really isn't a problem either.

As for catered the food ranges from good to average. But after a long day at University it is easier just to go for dinner without preparing it and plus you don't need to worry about not having enough money as you're guaranteed 2 meals a day. It is also great for the social side. We often go dinner in a group of 20 and it is a chance to catch up and chill with people. I'd defiantly recommend Beaumont despite its flaws.
Reply 744
Original post by rosiesaurus
Hi guys, I could really do with some help choosing where to live:smile:
I literally can't afford anything other than self catered basic/premium, and I definately want to live at Oadby.
Preferably, I'd like to live along some kind of corridor - I don't really like the look of the converted houses - and I'd rather share with more than 4 people (Although I'm not that fussed)
Can someone please tell me what's available?
From the outside, I really liked the look of Bowder, but apparently thats all ensuite?
Oh and please quote if replying :smile:

I'd do the maths on self vs catered first, for most people catered will work out quite a bit cheaper, as you miss 8 weeks of rent.
Original post by roh
I'd do the maths on self vs catered first, for most people catered will work out quite a bit cheaper, as you miss 8 weeks of rent.

I know I definately want to be self catered, i'm a fussy eater, and i want the experience of cooking and budgeting :smile:
Reply 746
I know I definately want to be self catered, i'm a fussy eater, and i want the experience of cooking and budgeting :smile:

Oh right, sorry sounded like you meant you couldn't afford anything else.

Fraid you'd have to look at converted houses, Bowder and the Coppice are ensuite, but these really are very sociable, don't worry about that side of things and some have 20 or 30 odd people in.
Original post by roh
Oh right, sorry sounded like you meant you couldn't afford anything else.

Fraid you'd have to look at converted houses, Bowder and the Coppice are ensuite, but these really are very sociable, don't worry about that side of things and some have 20 or 30 odd people in.

Oh, I thought the houses would be smaller than that, they only had a couple open on the open day, they were for 4 people:smile:
Which ones are the larger ones?
And what are the self catered nonensuite stuff like at GMS? Can't remember the names, but they're near the sports centre i think?
Reply 748
Oh, I thought the houses would be smaller than that, they only had a couple open on the open day, they were for 4 people:smile:
Which ones are the larger ones?
And what are the self catered nonensuite stuff like at GMS? Can't remember the names, but they're near the sports centre i think?

The only one in JoFo is 12 so that's guaranteed. I forget but places like Kent House in GMS and those up at the sports centre both have around 15 or so in I think. There are smaller ones such as Warden's Lodge and the Gatehouse (both Beaumont) but Beaumont and Digby both have bigger ones such as Southmeades too.
Is it only Opal Court that does studio flats?
Reply 750
Original post by Newtothis83
Is it only Opal Court that does studio flats?

Few in Nixon too.
Reply 751
Hi, Can anyone tell me which accommodation they think would be best for me please?
I'm trying to choose between Beaumont and GMS.... I want an en suite .....I would prefer to be self catered but is self catered significantly less sociable? I really want to be somewhere with a nice atmosphere where people go out frequently and is really sociable?... Thanks :smile:
Reply 752
So I went to the Uni and have given my application for Accom. I decided to put GMS Self Catered Premium Ensuite, and second I put Opal Court Premium Ensuite. I hope I get Bowder Court tbh, it is the best accom ive seen at Oadby after JoFo, I did put JoFo down like 3rd or something. If I get Bowder Court id be happy, does anyone know what I can do if I don't get the accomodation I want? For example, GMS is so big and has so many blocks, what if I dont get the one I want ? Btw to all people asking about opal court, it is quality! It doesnt get promoted much because its not part of the uni accomodation but there are so many freshers there as well as international students and hte rooms are much nicer! plus if u have lectures at 9am, it wont be a hassle to get to the uni as its only a 2 min walk away. I know all this from my gf staying at opal court in her freshers and shes had no problems whatsoever. But its up to you really :smile: Now its time for results!!
Reply 753
Hey . I'm just looking at accommodation for Leicester. Unfortunately I didn't have time to see it on the open day and I'm a bit worried about leaving till after the next open day! From this it looks like Beaumont is the place to be? I don't think I can afford an en suite but would at least like a washbasin! Where's the best place for a premium single? Not catered! Also, how many people in each flat etc? Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to choose the wrong one!! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 754
Original post by emilywoop
Physiotherapy. Although I'll be living and be taught at Leicester, I'm actually a Coventry student :frown:. Its a bit weird, but its better than living in Coventry :wink:
What about you? I think i might ring up as well, as I havnt actually heard from Leicester yet, only Coventry :frown:

Hi, sorry to comments on such an old post but I've been trawling the threads trying to find someone doing the same course as me!! I haven't been able to firm yet because not all my unis have got back to me but I definitely want Leicester! what accommodation did you choose? I don't know what's best for physio at all! Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 755
Hello, I'm an international student and am trying to pick an accommodation. Having a hard time because I don't get to visit them. I am planning to go for self-catered premium ensuite. Most probably GMS because I heard it's more sociable? But I'm not too sure whether it will be worth it to pay so much extra for my own shower. Haha. I see a lot of people saying that JoFo is more expensive, does that mean that the price for premium ensuite in GMS differs from that of JoFo's?

If say I go for a single room, normally how many people shares a bathroom? Really hope that you all can give me some advices =)
As far as I can tell, the prices are the same.
Here's a link to accommodation fees. JoFo, GMS and Beaumont and Digby are all under the Oadby student village umbrella so I don't see why it would be more expensive.

When I was in a single room, the bathroom was shared between 5 people, but I was in Mary Gee and not the main student village so take that as you will. :smile:

Hello, having been at the university for four years I can honestly say that you will get enough experience of cooking and budgeting after the first year when you move in to a shared house! Go catered, trust me!
Reply 758
where do most of the freshers stay?
I have noticed alot of people have been saying JoFo is quite expenisve but on the fees list it says under oadby student village that all the prices for the differnet types of room but not for the differnet accomodations sites e.g. Digby, GMS and JoFo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending