The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham-Accomodation and Halls?

Hi,

Iv applied to Nottingham and got in, but don't really know how the whole accommodation system works. like do you pick your specfic halls( like university park or the other ones) or do they just put you into anyone at random. if not what hall is the best? and then just general info on the Nottingham housing system would be great

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You basically apply for the type of accom you want (self-catered, catered, en-suite, shared en-suite, shared bathroom etc) and they "randomly" select a halls that match what you want. But if you get an offer for accom in a hall you don't like or whatever you can ring and have it changed, but it'll be another random pick, cos that's what my boyfriend did :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
It really depends on the kind of person you are as to which hall you choose. The main choice is whether to go catered (you get 3 meals every day) or you go self-catered (you buy and cook your own food, usually living in a flat with other people and sharing a kitchen).

I'd suggest that if you're more of a social person, enjoy being around people, go catered because you'll have the opportunity to meet hundreds of new people and hall events are great - it's like a bit of a community! (Obviously I'm slightly biased, I was in catered, hehe :smile: ) There are 12 catered halls on University Park - Hugh Stewart and Cripps have a reputation for being the 'public school' halls, and I think Florence Boot and Nightingale are meant to have some of the nicest rooms, but the best way for you to find out is go on an open day. Oh, and also you get a lunch card loaded with money which you can use Monday-Friday at all the cafes on campus :smile:

If you're looking for a more independent experience then look into self-catered (Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park, St Peter's Court). The upside is that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want, so you're not restricted to hall times and menus for eating. This is also better if you're vegan/have lots of allergies, but catered halls are generally OK for vegetarians. I've heard the cost of living generally equals out at about the same as catered halls as well.

I notice you asked about the housing system too - so, in about January of your first year you get together with a few friends (between about 3-8, it varies!) and you organise with a letting agent to go and view houses. Once you've decided which house you like best, you sign a contract with the landlord, and moving in is just before the start of first term in second year. No need to worry though, they talk you through it all in your first year, everyone's in the same boat and it's quite fun really :smile: Main student area is Lenton, some people live in Beeston and Dunkirk where the prices are usually cheaper.

If you've got any more questions please feel free to ask (I'm a Nottingham 2nd year).

P.S. Congrats on getting it! Deffo the best uni :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello remanda! Thank you for all that you've said above. It's a great help, but could you please make it a bit more step-by-step like?

I have applied to Nottingham and got it, but the thing is that I am from Romania, and i've never been to UK. I am a boy. It has always been my dream to study there, so i've done my best here and in the LNAT (yes, i've applied to Law) and managed to squeeze in. But i am absolutely clueless about he UK accommodation and cater system. So if you could make a kind of step-by-step "tutorial", it would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Reply 4
Original post by remanda
It really depends on the kind of person you are as to which hall you choose. The main choice is whether to go catered (you get 3 meals every day) or you go self-catered (you buy and cook your own food, usually living in a flat with other people and sharing a kitchen).

I'd suggest that if you're more of a social person, enjoy being around people, go catered because you'll have the opportunity to meet hundreds of new people and hall events are great - it's like a bit of a community! (Obviously I'm slightly biased, I was in catered, hehe :smile: ) There are 12 catered halls on University Park - Hugh Stewart and Cripps have a reputation for being the 'public school' halls, and I think Florence Boot and Nightingale are meant to have some of the nicest rooms, but the best way for you to find out is go on an open day. Oh, and also you get a lunch card loaded with money which you can use Monday-Friday at all the cafes on campus :smile:

If you're looking for a more independent experience then look into self-catered (Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park, St Peter's Court). The upside is that you can eat whatever you want whenever you want, so you're not restricted to hall times and menus for eating. This is also better if you're vegan/have lots of allergies, but catered halls are generally OK for vegetarians. I've heard the cost of living generally equals out at about the same as catered halls as well.

I notice you asked about the housing system too - so, in about January of your first year you get together with a few friends (between about 3-8, it varies!) and you organise with a letting agent to go and view houses. Once you've decided which house you like best, you sign a contract with the landlord, and moving in is just before the start of first term in second year. No need to worry though, they talk you through it all in your first year, everyone's in the same boat and it's quite fun really :smile: Main student area is Lenton, some people live in Beeston and Dunkirk where the prices are usually cheaper.

If you've got any more questions please feel free to ask (I'm a Nottingham 2nd year).

Cheers for all that remanda. based on that i rekon ill go for catered halls. sounds like its better craic. thanks for the help!!!
Reply 5
Hi Rhademes!

Firstly, congratulations on getting in! I suggest that for all the official details on accommodation you check out this - that'll give you a lot of the information you need.

Personally, I found the application process quite straightforward - the uni should contact you and let you know when you should be applying, especially as an international student. As you've got an offer of a place, you'll be guaranteed accommodation for your first year.

The way Nottingham's accommodation works is that all first-year students live in halls of accommodation: you choose either catered halls, where you have all your meals provided, or you choose self-catered which means that you buy and cook your own food, and live in a flat with a few other students. So the first step is to decide which of these you would prefer. You then need to decide which type of room you would like (again, see the link above for the different types, e.g. single study/large single study/en-suite, etc. Try this link) There are LOADS of options, so do some good research into it! If you're studying law, then your lectures will probably be on University Park campus, so I expect the most covenient for you would be either catered halls on UP (there are 12 to choose from) or Broadgate Park (self-catered). They're all between 10-20 minutes' walk from anywhere on campus!

Your next step will be to apply online - as I said, the uni are quite helpful about this! Applications open on 1st March and close on 1st August, but the sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get the choice you want. As far as I remember, you list a few options in order of preference, and then once they've allocated the rooms they'll make you an offer, which you need to accept. That's all it is really - after that, all you have to do is start paying your fees. If you need help financing your accommodation then contact the uni.

Hope that's helped - good luck! If you have any more questions then fire away :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Fionn Dok
Cheers for all that remanda. based on that i rekon ill go for catered halls. sounds like its better craic. thanks for the help!!!

You're welcome :smile: Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by remanda
Hi Rhademes!

Firstly, congratulations on getting in! I suggest that for all the official details on accommodation you check out this - that'll give you a lot of the information you need.

Personally, I found the application process quite straightforward - the uni should contact you and let you know when you should be applying, especially as an international student. As you've got an offer of a place, you'll be guaranteed accommodation for your first year.

The way Nottingham's accommodation works is that all first-year students live in halls of accommodation: you choose either catered halls, where you have all your meals provided, or you choose self-catered which means that you buy and cook your own food, and live in a flat with a few other students. So the first step is to decide which of these you would prefer. You then need to decide which type of room you would like (again, see the link above for the different types, e.g. single study/large single study/en-suite, etc. Try this link) There are LOADS of options, so do some good research into it! If you're studying law, then your lectures will probably be on University Park campus, so I expect the most covenient for you would be either catered halls on UP (there are 12 to choose from) or Broadgate Park (self-catered). They're all between 10-20 minutes' walk from anywhere on campus!

Your next step will be to apply online - as I said, the uni are quite helpful about this! Applications open on 1st March and close on 1st August, but the sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get the choice you want. As far as I remember, you list a few options in order of preference, and then once they've allocated the rooms they'll make you an offer, which you need to accept. That's all it is really - after that, all you have to do is start paying your fees. If you need help financing your accommodation then contact the uni.

Hope that's helped - good luck! If you have any more questions then fire away :smile:

Hello remanda! Thank you very much for your answer! It helped hugely. I might have some more questions later on, but i'll do my best to get on by myself, after all it's a once in a lifetime experience.
Thanks for your support!
Hi!

I am also going to be an international student and I was just wondering if the 1 August deadline for applying is for the term/semester beginning in September?
Reply 9
Hello! I'm an international student as well and I'm heading over to read law this year. Just wanna ask if there's anyone living at broadgate park? Would you recommend it? There seem to be really bad reviews about it online saying that it's dirty and unsafe etc. how true is that? Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by violetillusion
Hi!

I am also going to be an international student and I was just wondering if the 1 August deadline for applying is for the term/semester beginning in September?

Yes it is for students starting this September.
Original post by Lawsg
Hello! I'm an international student as well and I'm heading over to read law this year. Just wanna ask if there's anyone living at broadgate park? Would you recommend it? There seem to be really bad reviews about it online saying that it's dirty and unsafe etc. how true is that? Thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at moving into Broadgate park in September. I visited it and it's probably one of the nicest, if not the best, self-catered accommodation at Nottingham.
The city centre of Nottingham can be quite nasty but the accommodation itself is most probably not unsafe or dirty.
Reply 12
Original post by remanda

If the process of applying is random how is it that Cripps and Hugh Stewart have a reputation for being "public school". I only ask because I went to an offer open day last Friday and we were shown Cripps Hall, which I loved. It is so central to everything, library, the English department and the student union bar. I was hoping to get either of these halls but I would rather be in a place where I fit in.
Reply 13
Original post by herothing11
I'm looking at moving into Broadgate park in September. I visited it and it's probably one of the nicest, if not the best, self-catered accommodation at Nottingham.
The city centre of Nottingham can be quite nasty but the accommodation itself is most probably not unsafe or dirty.

Sounds good! Do you have any idea if the larger room is really that must larger to justify the additional 300 pounds or so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont know which accommodation to apply for! :/
Reply 15
Original post by smithstefan1995
Dont know which accommodation to apply for! :/

You mean catered/non catered and size of room and stuff?
Reply 16
Hey guys! I just received a letter of acceptance for Nottingham yesterday, for an exchange in Architecture. The problem is that my first option was the Uni of Bath, but I didn't get in and I have great doubts about my second option, Nottingham. The thing is I have friends in Birmingham and from what they've told me, Nottingham is a very unsafe city, as they were talking about all kinds of thiefs and other 'bad guys'. I would like to hear some opinions from actual students in this uni before I make my decision. How is life on campus? What would you say about the centre or going out at night there? I wanna come there and be able to go out in a bar or something and return home safely.
Also, could someone tell me how is life in the Broadgate Park accommodation hall?
It would really help a lot if you guys could give some honest opinions about the city! Have a nice day!
Original post by nushi
You mean catered/non catered and size of room and stuff?

Yeah haha like its all good saying I want the super size luxury en suite catered but is that all really needed haha?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
oh sorry, in the meantime I noticed I could have asked that on another thread. I could still use an answer about the Broadgate Park :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by smithstefan1995
Yeah haha like its all good saying I want the super size luxury en suite catered but is that all really needed haha?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I was there on Friday and we were shown a room in Cripps which is really centrally located, right next to the library and very close to the English department. The room was quite big and the one they showed us shared a bathroom with one other room. I was thinking about a shared catered room because I don't want to have to worry about cooking and cleaning up and of course a shared room is much cheaper and I can think of a lot better things to spend my money on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending