The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5380
I mean come on, it's a decent gesture of goodwill, but let's not make it out as if he's playing for peanuts - he's still going to make more in one year than 99.9% of people across the globe make in an entire lifetime.
Reply 5382

2 words

Vontaze Burfict

I was desperate for the Seahawks to pick him up in the 7th last year (though we didn't do too badly with Bobby Wagner) - 1st round talent but a poor end to his college career and a poor combine. Possible character issues

Sound familiar?

He only went on to lead the Bengals in tackles with 127 (15th in the league) as an undrafted rookie.
Original post by munn
2 words

Vontaze Burfict

I was desperate for the Seahawks to pick him up in the 7th last year (though we didn't do too badly with Bobby Wagner) - 1st round talent but a poor end to his college career and a poor combine. Possible character issues

Sound familiar?

He only went on to lead the Bengals in tackles with 127 (15th in the league) as an undrafted rookie.

Yeah I don't buy much into the combine, Bleacher Report also has a list of best performing athletes for each drill and only a handful actually went on to produce anything of note. The way I see it, the main purpose of the combine is to add to a players hype, or allow a relative unknown to gain media attention.
Looking forward to the draft from a Rams perspective. I'd love us to pick up a combination of Vaccaro, Johnathan Cooper, Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen with our 2 first rounders. Either way, I trust Fisher to make the right choices. He's got a great track record in the draft.
If I were a fan of any of the bengals, browns and ravens I would be throwing a parade and celebrating absolutely terrible move.
Reply 5387
I don't even rate flacco. All this nonsense about the ravens becoming the most stable AFC team over the next 5 years in my eyes is nonsense. Wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't top their division next year.
Original post by ..DT..
I don't even rate flacco. All this nonsense about the ravens becoming the most stable AFC team over the next 5 years in my eyes is nonsense. Wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't top their division next year.

Considering their division has the Steelers in, that's not exactly a crazy wild card prediction.
Reply 5390
Original post by The Troll Toll
Considering their division has the Steelers in, that's not exactly a crazy wild card prediction.

Steelers are getting old. In theory the ravens should win it this year.....
Original post by ..DT..
Steelers are getting old. In theory the ravens should win it this year.....

lol and the ravens aren't
lol comparing rosters when minicamp hasn't even started
lol theory
lol the 49ers just beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl IN THEORY
Reply 5392
Your taking it out of context. If a team has just handed out the record contract in the NFL, their owners + management team + player + fan base will firmly expect the team to do no less than win their division this year. I was simply stating that I don't think they will. It's not crazy, like you said, but it goes against what a lot of people expect.

lol
lol
lol ... :s-smilie:

///
Wes welker close to a new deal for us again. Dustin Colquit is being paid more with his new contract then Wes Welkers last contract...
Reply 5394
Original post by ..DT..
Your taking it out of context. If a team has just handed out the record contract in the NFL, their owners + management team + player + fan base will firmly expect the team to do no less than win their division this year. I was simply stating that I don't think they will. It's not crazy, like you said, but it goes against what a lot of people expect.

lol
lol
lol ... :s-smilie:

///

No you'd expect them to make the playoffs and then expect them to win a game or two. And the Ravens have been pretty good at that - they're the only team to have won a playoff game in each of that last 3 seasons... and in fact they're on a run of 5 straight seasons with at least one playoff win (and they've also made the conference championship more than any other team in the past 5 years).

Anyway the Steelers are fully in decline at the moment so I fully expect the Ravens to win the division again, the Bengals aren't quite there yet to make a challenge either
Nah, this is totally the Browns' year. (I jest. It is never the Browns' year. Poor Cleveland.)
Reply 5396
Original post by munn
No you'd expect them to make the playoffs and then expect them to win a game or two. And the Ravens have been pretty good at that - they're the only team to have won a playoff game in each of that last 3 seasons... and in fact they're on a run of 5 straight seasons with at least one playoff win (and they've also made the conference championship more than any other team in the past 5 years).

Anyway the Steelers are fully in decline at the moment so I fully expect the Ravens to win the division again, the Bengals aren't quite there yet to make a challenge either

Kinda contradicted yourself there, but I'm glad you agree that most people think the ravens will win their division next year.
Reply 5397
Original post by ..DT..
Kinda contradicted yourself there, but I'm glad you agree that most people think the ravens will win their division next year.

Not really, what I'm saying is you expect a playoff team to make the playoffs and make some noise, not necessarily win the division, particularly in a division that has sent at least two teams to the playoffs for the past 5 years running and is regularly deemed "the toughest division in football". Just look now at the NFC West which seems to be winning that mantle - there wouldn't be much argument right now if I suggested that both the 49ers and Seahawks each win 12+ games next year, but only one of them can win the division. That doesn't necessarily mean people are going to say the other team failed.

Anyway I'm saying what *I* personally expect. *I* think the Steelers are in decline, but I've also been saying that for about 5 years now and year after year they tend to prove me wrong. If they finish with a 10-6 record, get a wildcard berth and win a playoff game for the 6th year in a row nobody is going to be saying "Boy the Ravens sure messed up giving Joe Flacco a big contract".

He's beginning to prove himself as a playoff pro - 95.6 career QB rating in the playoffs - 103.7 over the past 3 years with 17 TDs to just 2 interceptions in 8 games over those 3 years. It's those numbers that win you the big contracts, not regular season numbers
As a Ravens fan I agree that Flacco's regular season play is not worthy of a $120 million contract, yet he always does enough to get us into the playoffs. Then he's absolute money. There isn't another QB like him in the playoffs. This is where he earns the money, we can pretty much guarantee a playoff win every year, and probably more.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Its a pretty smart contract actually Flacco gets guaranteed money and no doubt 3 years they will restructure again and more guaranteed money for Flacco.

Just imagine what money Rodgers is going to command this season.

Latest