The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Baron
To be honest I have always assumed it is to accommodate Cesc. I certainly prefer Iniesta being central. He is more natural in that position and it means they can have an extra pure attacker on the field, be it Villa, Tello or Alexis.

But what do I know, i'm just some punk posting on TSR :tongue:

Your assumption is correct. It definitely is to accommodate Cesc. Its annoying as well how much Roura keeps playing Sanchez ahead of Tello.
Original post by Malevolent
Your assumption is correct. It definitely is to accommodate Cesc. Its annoying as well how much Roura keeps playing Sanchez ahead of Tello.

Maybe he's thinking that Sanchez is more experienced than Tello. But yeah, Tello's a great asset to have. He's not only direct but more often than not he beats the defender and he's also a good finisher, although tonight he was a bit erratic. How's Pedro been this season? Surely he should be played more often too. I remember last season when there was a front three of Pedro-Messi-Tello, Barca would tear teams apart with ease.
(edited 11 years ago)
Jordi Amat :coma:
Reply 1323
CR7 <3 loving the Clasico :biggrin:
Just got banged. Di maria and ronaldo just didn't rate barcelona at all.

Xavi was poor and messi was poor. Just seems like messi had no space in the match when his usual self just manages to find the space.
Brilliant performance by Madrid. Solid and disciplined defensive performance coupled with lightning counter attacks. Ronaldo was exceptional, it's incredible to think people used to say he didn't play well in big matches. If they play like that at Old Trafford, they'll beat United.
Tactics all wrong again from Barca, surely they should of changed things after the Milan loss.
I hope madrid beat united but i've got a feeling that united will just keep 10 men behind the ball and madrid won't be able to score, hope they do though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Madrid will definitely score at OT. I'd put money on it. Di Maria v Evra :awesome:
****ing Pepe lol.

Original post by IWantSomeMushu
****ing Pepe lol.

He's a joker, don't see why alba was angry tbh. Probably because his team is getting banged 3-0, sore loser or what. :lol:
Lol at busquetts fall though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1330
Original post by jam277
He's a joker, don't see why alba was angry tbh. Probably because his team is getting banged 3-0, sore loser or what. :lol:
Lol at busquetts fall though.

Maybe because he's swinging his arms around like a ****ing windmill?
Original post by Jordan_1
Maybe because he's swinging his arms around like a ****ing windmill?

No, that was to busquetts. Not to alba, no need for aggro over it. Did it cos his team was losing, sore loser. Not that pepe is any better.
Lol. Barcelona not looking so good now, just how cities passing game is not as effective now. Milan, Madrid and whose next...
Would love to see Spain playing now after teams knowing how to counter this way of football.
Reply 1333
Original post by jam277
No, that was to busquetts. Not to alba, no need for aggro over it. Did it cos his team was losing, sore loser. Not that pepe is any better.

Yh, usually pepe is the masively guilty but here, alba was the prick.
Original post by 419
Yh, usually pepe is the masively guilty but here, alba was the prick.

Tbh it happens when you're getting battered by your closest rivals at home, look at when marcelo went two footed on fabregas in the spanish super cup last year.
Reply 1335
Original post by cleveradam
Lol. Barcelona not looking so good now, just how cities passing game is not as effective now. Milan, Madrid and whose next...
Would love to see Spain playing now after teams knowing how to counter this way of football.

Well that's obviously not the case seeing as Barcelona are still going to win the la liga and aren't out of the CL just yet...

Barcelona have been playing poor lately, it has nothing to do with the 'passing game'.

And Spain will still dominate most of the teams they play.
Original post by Jordan_1
Well that's obviously not the case seeing as Barcelona are still going to win the la liga and aren't out of the CL just yet...

Barcelona have been playing poor lately, it has nothing to do with the 'passing game'.

And Spain will still dominate most of the teams they play.

They'll probably get knocked out of the CL, but bar that barca haven't really been weakened. They're probably about to match the madrid points total but you probably won't see a barca team as good as 10-11 or 08-09 in the CL again but they'll still show levels of performance like that at times.

Barca have been beat using this tactic quite a few times as well, it's not like someone just figured out how to beat barcelona over two legs like they're invincible. Roura's pretty tactically inept though, villanova/guardiola would have never let this happen at home.
Villanova is missed and missed badly. It must be extremely frustrating to be so far away and unable to rectify a situation. Roura can't take much blame, yes he isn't great but as sad on commentary, last year he was compiling DVD's, now he's managing Barca temporarily at the business end of the season.

Is it just me or is Fabregas the elephant on the pitch? It seems he's being accomodated in the middle of the park (on the left hand side of it) and Iniesta who is far superior and better performing centrally is being shoved up front? Why doesn't Fabregas and Iniesta swap roles?

Ronaldo is dominating the Clasico's in a way that Messi was. Messi is present but RM seem to handle him sufficiently and allows Ronaldo that space and freedom. He's clearly relishing these matches whereas before maybe he felt in insuperior to Lionel.

I can expect big changes from both sides for Saturday although Barca would really need to win and respond after this defeat.

BTW, why were both sets of players huddle in the centre circle prior to the match? Was it a remembrance of some sort?
Reply 1338
Original post by Aky786UK

Is it just me or is Fabregas the elephant on the pitch? It seems he's being accomodated in the middle of the park (on the left hand side of it) and Iniesta who is far superior and better performing centrally is being shoved up front? Why doesn't Fabregas and Iniesta swap roles?

It's you doing what people love to do these days, over analysing things. How can Fabregas been an elephant when the same tactics has led to Barca opening up a 16 point gap in the league? Things didn't really change much when Villa came on either. One defeat doesn't mean there's problem with Barca's tactics, they're just out of form and Messi seems to be going through a difficult spell for the first time since he became the player we know. This along with Xavi in especially not playing to well led to Madrid's dominance.

I rather just applaud the Madrid players for their brilliant performance and game plan excusion rather than overanalysing Barca to find fault in their system.
I didn't watch the game due to some current housing problems but I've said before. Fabregas is too good to be left on the bench but he doesn't fit well with 3 other central midfielders. Tello needs to be starting or Villa so to stretch the other teams. I can bet without even watching the game there was hardly any attacks coming down the wing that it was all central?

Latest