The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emre944
I'll be 19-20 years old during my foundation year. After what age are you considered a mature student?

I think you basically count as a mature student if you've applied after your final years of secondary education.
(edited 11 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by Awoodrow2
I think you basically count as a mature student if you've not applied during your A-levels?

I'm an international student so basically we didn't have A-levels during secondary education.
Original post by Emre944
I'm an international student so basically we didn't have A-levels during secondary education.

Well, correct my last post to say "if you've applied after your final years of secondary education"?
Reply 143
Original post by Awoodrow2
Well, correct my last post to say "if you've applied after your final years of secondary education"?

I'll be finishing my last year of high school this June.
I got an unconditional offer for Computer science with foundation :biggrin:!

I'll be 21 but I will have my Psychology Degree finished by then.

I want to read the foundation because I think my maths skills need some polishing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emre944
I'll be 19-20 years old during my foundation year. After what age are you considered a mature student?

You are considered a mature student if you are 21 or older when you begin your course. At 19-20 years old, you're going to be the same age as most people at uni, in fact I'd say you'll meet more people who are older than you, than you meet people who are younger than you.
Original post by Esteta
Hello all,
I got my offer last night to study physics (with a foundation year) at Durham. I'm a mature student and I've never been given an opportunity like this in life before. I'm so happy! Good luck to you all :smile:

Yeah me too :smile: How 'mature' are you? I'll be 26 when I start it. And what sort of background knowledge are you going into this course with? I'm fairly apprehensive as I haven't done anything academic in about a decade (and I'm not even sure GCSE's count as 'academic'), so the learning curve is going to be steep haha
Reply 147
Original post by Calabi-Yau
You are considered a mature student if you are 21 or older when you begin your course. At 19-20 years old, you're going to be the same age as most people at uni, in fact I'd say you'll meet more people who are older than you, than you meet people who are younger than you.

Thank you. I wonder if there's going to be many international students close to my age.
Reply 148
Original post by Calabi-Yau
Yeah me too :smile: How 'mature' are you? I'll be 26 when I start it. And what sort of background knowledge are you going into this course with? I'm fairly apprehensive as I haven't done anything academic in about a decade (and I'm not even sure GCSE's count as 'academic'), so the learning curve is going to be steep haha

I'll be 25 when I start at Durham. I have a little background knowledge not an awful lot to be honest. I'm probably going to purchase an A level book over the next coming weeks and do some pre reading!

I think the learning curve will be really step for both of us! However, we have to make the most of this opportunity Durham have given us and try our best :smile:
Original post by Emre944
Thank you. I wonder if there's going to be many international students close to my age.

I'll be 21 and I'm from Portugal. You are not alone :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Original post by Untuchable
I'll be 21 and I'm from Portugal. You are not alone :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to know. :biggrin:
Reply 151
Hi, I was just wondering what the ratio of exam to coursework is like during the foundation year. Oh and also generally how easy is it to go to a member of staff to ask for some help etc. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by add4
Hi, I was just wondering what the ratio of exam to coursework is like during the foundation year. Oh and also generally how easy is it to go to a member of staff to ask for some help etc. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your programme?
Reply 153
Original post by Emre944
What's your programme?

Hi, I'll be doing business :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by add4
Hi, I'll be doing business :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean Business Finance with Foundation:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2013/info/?id=4912&title=Business+Finance+with+Foundation&ucas-code=N390&degree=BA&year=2013#essentials

You should be able to see how the modules you'll be taking assessed below though I can't seem to access any of the pages given there at the momet.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/modules/
Reply 155
Original post by Emre944
Do you mean Business Finance with Foundation:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2013/info/?id=4912&title=Business+Finance+with+Foundation&ucas-code=N390&degree=BA&year=2013#essentials

You should be able to see how the modules you'll be taking assessed below though I can't seem to access any of the pages given there at the momet.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/modules/

Oh right thanks for that I didn't realise you can view the specific modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by add4
Oh right thanks for that I didn't realise you can view the specific modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 157
Hi, I was just wondering if my course with foundation is 4 years long, what happens in relation to your placement year. The course usually offers a placement year and eventually a masters year if you would like to go onto it. Do these years still count and will you have these opportunity still if you are doing your course with a foundation year first. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What age are most of the people on the foundation course?
What is the chance of getting accepted onto the bachelor program upon completing the year in foundation.
Reply 159
Original post by CupiditasMetam
What age are most of the people on the foundation course?
What is the chance of getting accepted onto the bachelor program upon completing the year in foundation.

If it's a foundation programme with direct progression you should be able to progress to your selected undergraduate programme upon successful completion of the foundation year which if I remember correctly is achieving %50 overall mark. You should be able to find subject specific requirements here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/proglist/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending