The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
For Gold, is it to do with the number of ways that the bonds of the molecule can vibrate/stretch/bend etc? Or am I way off the mark with this thought?
Finally. Gold is done, Tried counting every atom in the molecule but missed one, so ended up going through every number till i got it
Reply 1302
Original post by EvilRaptorMudkip
Finally. Gold is done, Tried counting every atom in the molecule but missed one, so ended up going through every number till i got it

how do you do it? if you dont want to say, can you pm the answer please.
Reply 1303

Yeah, I'm stuck on gold too. I realise it's something to do with IR Spectroscopy and Nanoputians, but I've not study this so no idea really - could you PM me a few hints please?
Original post by ltigers
how do you do it? if you dont want to say, can you pm the answer please.

how have you attempted to work it out so far?
Have you found what the numbers relate to?
The formula for working that out?
The overall amount of atoms on the molecule you're working out, considering that its in skeletal structure?
Reply 1305
The overall amount of atoms on the molecule you're working out, considering that its in skeletal structure?

Can you confirm that it is C33... Or do I just suck at counting carbons?
Reply 1306

i know its an ir spectrum.
I have no idea about anything else..
Reply 1307
Original post by Bello08
Can you confirm that it is C33... Or do I just suck at counting carbons?

Formula is C41H50O2 :smile:
Reply 1308
Can someone please help me with the gold level question?
I know that it is related to the ir spectrum.
its molecular formula is
C41H50O2
This Rg one really has me stumped, if anyone has any advice or the calculation to work it out it would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Acruzen
I've worked out how to do gold, do i need to work out the whole molecule, or just the dioxane bit(where the ? mark is)

Whole molecule
Original post by nihar97
what is the molecular formula of the substance we are looking for in gold
also does the graph in the background have anything to do with it

I am just gonna say that they r not going to put something there that isn't necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1312
ive just done gold! so happy.
edit: use the nanokid for those who are stuck.
This Rg one really has me stumped, if anyone has any advice or the calculation to work it out it would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto this!
Would any kind person be willing to pm me and explain how you're meant to calculate the answer for Rg, because I am really stuck and would like to know how it works.
finally done. Rg took me so long wow
Original post by Acruzen
finally done. Rg took me so long wow

Any advice for Rg? Completely stuck.:mad:
Reply 1317
Original post by ltigers
ive just done gold! so happy.
edit: use the nanokid for those who are stuck.

It's not NanoKid its NanoBalletDancer, NanoKid is a completely different molecule :/
Reply 1318
Now onto gold....
Original post by brendads89
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did it! the volume of the arena is: [50*(365/2)*(365/2)*4pi/3]/2 .... then get it to liters cause it is in cubic meters...for total moles divide by 0.082*273 ... for oxygen moles: multiply by 21% and then by the abundance of each isotope....for the answer multiply by the mass and that should be it....I don't know why but is sounds easier than it is...there are so many ways you can just fail in this question...

Done exactly this but still don't get the right answer?!?! By mass, do you mean the Mr of the molecule?
Never mind, solved using a different method!!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest