The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Match thread for Tuesday's 2nd leg v Madrid up :yy:
Just wrote this in the other thread but I'll put it here too, as it hasn't been mentioned on the thread yet.

Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir has been appointed by UEFA to referee the game. His only previous game at Old Trafford was a scrappy 2-2 draw with SL Benfica in November 2011 which set United up for elimination in Basel three weeks later. He also refereed us in a 2-1 loss in Bilbao which again, ended our European season. He's best known for ruining games by stopping play for the slightest thing and handing out cards liberally. City vs Kiev (9 yellows and a red); Porto vs City (8 yellows); Barca vs Chelsea (8 yellows and a red) etc.

In other words he's an overly officious, card-happy official who'd stop play for a sneeze. Expect a fractious, disjointed game of football on Tuesday night.
Original post by IanDangerously
Just wrote this in the other thread but I'll put it here too, as it hasn't been mentioned on the thread yet.

Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir has been appointed by UEFA to referee the game. His only previous game at Old Trafford was a scrappy 2-2 draw with SL Benfica in November 2011 which set United up for elimination in Basel three weeks later. He also refereed us in a 2-1 loss in Bilbao which again, ended our European season. He's best known for ruining games by stopping play for the slightest thing and handing out cards liberally. City vs Kiev (9 yellows and a red); Porto vs City (8 yellows); Barca vs Chelsea (8 yellows and a red) etc.

In other words he's an overly officious, card-happy official who'd stop play for a sneeze. Expect a fractious, disjointed game of football on Tuesday night.

That is exactly what real madrid want and totally opposite to what man utd want. Real Madrid are known to go down on little touches, so they will be more used to being touched-go down-get a freekick. So know from the point go they have a slight advantage. Always happens...
Casillas returning would be a huge boost for them, in a similiar way it would be for us if Jones was fully fit considering his performance in the first leg. But the GK suffered a thumb injury so I can't imagine that it's going to be that problematic (if he's fully recuperated) for him to play. I'd imagine a hamstring, calf etc would be much more of an issue. It'd be brave of Mourinho to take him to Manchester and leave on the bench when Lopez is likely to be edgy a tad in a game of that magnitude.

Original post by Tommyjw
Quote from a Tevez article

I found this on Google Images searching for Scholes as it always gives me a warm feeling inside that someone as shy and reserved as Scholes is so widely respected across the footballing world.

I don't know if the text has been imprinted on via Photoshop but a cool picture nevertheless:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1664
Original post by Aky786UK

I don't know if the text has been imprinted on via Photoshop but a cool picture nevertheless:

The worst photoshop I have ever seen lol
^LOL, I thought so but I'm not an expert in deciphering if it was or not. Agree with its message though.
Quotes regarding Scholes

Spoiler

Reply 1667
Original post by Aky786UK
^LOL, I thought so but I'm not an expert in deciphering if it was or not. Agree with its message though.

You agree? I mean, Scholes is good but he isn't THAT good as what's written on the card.
Jones absent from training
Reply 1669
Original post by pinda.college
If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time.
Alan Shearer

Depends what his definition of a tackle is I guess :tongue:
Original post by qasidb
You agree? I mean, Scholes is good but he isn't THAT good as what's written on the card.

If you discard Messi and possibly Villa from that placard then I'd say yes. Scholes, from a technical level was and is still outstanding (although to a lesser degree now).

As well as Giggs has done of late, and the good-will towards him with the new deal and 1,000th appearance, can't let emotion come into it. He'll definitely add composed passing if he plays attacking wise but I feel his defensive duties will be exposed unless he strictly stays in our half because if he goes forward and gets caught out, they've got players who will take advantage.

I'd back Cleverley to play, it's a massive game but one that he needs aswell.
Original post by ledleyking123
Jones will probs make it. Does anyone else think we shouldn't play kagawa he was poor in the away game much rather some width with nani/valencia

Indifferent about Kagawa. But with the hat-trick on Saturday, he's a sure bet to start. SAF rewards top performances. After Hernandez came on and scored that 'hat-trick', SAF said in the post match interview that he's played himself into the starting line-up. I think this will be the case with Kagawa as well.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Indifferent about Kagawa. But with the hat-trick on Saturday, he's a sure bet to start. SAF rewards top performances. After Hernandez came on and scored that 'hat-trick', SAF said in the post match interview that he's played himself into the starting line-up. I think this will be the case with Kagawa as well.

He did have a lot of chanes in the first 20 mins or so.. he kept breaking through - but not being able to finish them..

maybe with the confidence from the weekend, he actually will this time?
Original post by fallen_acorns
He did have a lot of chanes in the first 20 mins or so.. he kept breaking through - but not being able to finish them..

maybe with the confidence from the weekend, he actually will this time?

I wouldn't class them as chances tbh. I'd say they were opportunities to get himself into positions to score or help RVP. It happened that the ball wasn't good into him or he had a bad touch.

I'd rather he start again tbh, the hat-trick has come at a perfect time and his movement might unsettle Madrid. I'm hoping with their focus on RVP, Rooney etc that he might be our Silent Asian Assasin. :smile:
Original post by IanDangerously

Just the sort of referee you don't want against Real I feel. Although going into the closing stages whoever is still chasing will just be getting more and more frustrated. If he's as whistle and card happy as before we could see some fireworks...

So excited for later :teeth:
I want Welbeck to start. He offers something different, pace, he can run with the ball and his link up play is great.
Stay strong boys. We still have two trophies to win this season.
Ref ruined the game, oh well.
Reply 1678
I'm disgusted, the better team lost today
Refs a ****, literally everything was going to plan up until the red card. Welbeck and Giggs both had an excellent games.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest