The Student Room Group

Shortsighted but don't want to wear glasses for aesthetic reasons

I'm short sighted with a prescription of -.50 and -1.00 but unfortunately have a very strong astigmatism of -2.75 with an orientation of 170-180. I've been stupid and forgot to order my contact lenses in good time, I can't get my contact lenses until the 23rd.

I have to meet up with a guy I'm currently seeing and its either I wear glasses, which look very unflattering on me or not wear glasses. I guess not wearing glasses would make me squint and unable to see properly. Not sure what to do.

Is it advisable to go out not wearing glasses on such a prescription? I'm not exactly blind but it's also not a good eye sight. Has anyone ever done it?

Scroll to see replies

tha's ignorant

you can get nice glasses, or contacts, why deprive yourself of clear eyesight?
Reply 2
WEre you the driver of the fiesta that crashed into specsavers?
Reply 3
Original post by Cringe

It was actually Vision Express; hence the joke, should've gone to Specsavers.
Maybe you should've done the same. Cringe.
Reply 4
Original post by + polarity -
tha's ignorant

you can get nice glasses, or contacts, why deprive yourself of clear eyesight?

Did you read my OP properly? I ran out of contact lenses and will not be able to get a new pair for another 3 weeks.

Unfortunately glasses just don't suit me.
Reply 5
Original post by Cringe

Haha, only considering doing it once, when I meet up with him. But I don't know if it's advisable
Reply 6
Original post by babygirl110
I'm short sighted with a prescription of -.50 and -1.00 but unfortunately have a very strong astigmatism of -2.75 with an orientation of 170-180. I've been stupid and forgot to order my contact lenses in good time, I can't get my contact lenses until the 23rd.

I have to meet up with a guy I'm currently seeing and its either I wear glasses, which look very unflattering on me or not wear glasses. I guess not wearing glasses would make me squint and unable to see properly. Not sure what to do.

Is it advisable to go out not wearing glasses on such a prescription? I'm not exactly blind but it's also not a good eye sight. Has anyone ever done it?

Wear the glasses.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum

Cringe
Reply 8
Original post by meenu89
Wear the glasses.

Yeah it seems the sensible thing to do. I just look horrible in them
Did you read my OP properly? I ran out of contact lenses and will not be able to get a new pair for another 3 weeks.

no, haven't you seen my sig?

tbh you could probably go without glasses if you won't be reading much, but I would recommend them as being able to see things clearly is important
Reply 10
I think it would be worse to have to admit that you can't see anything because you were too embarrassed to wear your glasses. At least take them with you, just in case.
Reply 11
1. What is wrong with wearing glasses? I guess unless you got ugly glasses, but why would you do that...
2. you are hardly shortsighted at all so nothing that bad will happen if you don't wear them, but won't it be really annoying not being able to read stuff far away etc?
Reply 12
If he's worth your time, he won't care if you're wearing glasses or not. I'm short sighted and hate my glasses but my boyfriend finds them pretty cute, or at least pretends he does.
Reply 13

You obviously haven't tried on enough pairs of glasses...
Reply 14
This is a slightly shallow thread. I mean if you need to wear glasses, wear them. Just because you have a negative view on glasses doesn't mean others do.
Reply 15
Original post by redferry
1. What is wrong with wearing glasses? I guess unless you got ugly glasses, but why would you do that...
2. you are hardly shortsighted at all so nothing that bad will happen if you don't wear them, but won't it be really annoying not being able to read stuff far away etc?

Yeah it would be annoying. It's my astigmatism that's a problem, the shortsightedness itself is not bad. Apparently the astigmatism distorts the view even more, making it blurry, it's because the eyes are doing a lot of adapting, trying to see. Opticians can explain what I'm trying to describe really well.
Original post by tehforum

nah it was a specsavers- see the picture:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2284175/Should-gone-Specsavers-Moment-driver-crashes-car-opticians-window.html
Reply 17
Original post by TheAJK
This is a slightly shallow thread. I mean if you need to wear glasses, wear them. Just because you have a negative view on glasses doesn't mean others do.

Yes, I am a shallow being, it's human nature :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah it would be annoying. It's my astigmatism that's a problem, the shortsightedness itself is not bad. Apparently the astigmatism distorts the view even more, making it blurry, it's because the eyes are doing a lot of adapting, trying to see. Opticians can explain what I'm trying to describe really well.

Yeah I know, I have astigmatism too. And -3.75 vision. I feel your pain.
I'm sure you could find some glasses to suit you though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending