The Student Room Group

Promiscuity: Give it up or play along

I'm a 19 year old fresher who is naturally very outgoing and flirty. Since coming to university I've noticed I get hit on a lot and I flirt back. It never usually results to anything but some nights it does. This doesn't happen often (4 in total) and to me it's just a bit of fun. All the guys I do know pretty well and it's never awkward afterwards. I still talk to them on a daily basis. I only ever feel guilty afterwards when I know people are talking and gossiping about it (more anxious and paranoid) but I forget about it quickly.

I'm not looking for a serious relationship or anything but how do most people think this might affect any long term relationship I might get into later in life? Thoughts/opinions or am I just being too paranoid?

I know that when I do find someone i'd settle with that I would definitely stop but for now I enjoy the single life :colondollar:

Does this lifestyle need to come to an end? If not when is a good time to give it up? Does anyone else feel the same way ?

Many thanks :smile:

ps- I know i'll get negs and called every S word under the sun but I'd really appreciate it if you didn't. I'm really not and I'm actually quite sensible when it comes to it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's your life end of the day. You do what you think is right for you as its a decision you should be making with yourself, not TSR.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 19 year old fresher who is naturally very outgoing and flirty. Since coming to university I've noticed I get hit on a lot and I flirt back. It never usually results to anything but some nights it does. This doesn't happen often (4 in total) and to me it's just a bit of fun. All the guys I do know pretty well and it's never awkward afterwards. I still talk to them on a daily basis. I only ever feel guilty afterwards when I know people are talking and gossiping about it (more anxious and paranoid) but I forget about it quickly.

I'm not looking for a serious relationship or anything but how do most people think this might affect any long term relationship I might get into later in life? Thoughts/opinions or am I just being too paranoid?

I know that when I do find someone i'd settle with that I would definitely stop but for now I enjoy the single life :colondollar:

Does this lifestyle need to come to an end? If not when is a good time to give it up? Does anyone else feel the same way ?

ps- I know i'll get negs and called every S word under the sun but I'd really appreciate it if you didn't. I'm really not and I'm actually quite sensible when it comes to it.

Safe, consensual sex between adults is not wrong or something you need to feel ashamed about. It's your life; yes, there are people who will judge you for it, but it's really none of their business. The same thing really applies to any future partners - as long as you don't have any STIs, you don't have any obligation to disclose your full sexual history if you don't want to.

As for if/when you should 'give up' having casual sex, the answer is that you should do what feels right for you. You may well get into a relationship soon and decide that you want to stop then, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't settle down until much later, if at all.
Reply 3
Original post by abhiksetia
Uni life is what you want it to be, you'll never get these 3-4 years again, and if you enjoy the single life, so be it - have a blast. Some people want to do the whole relationship gig - like I do, I want to continue dating the girl I have been, but it may or may not be feasible long distance. As long as you're having fun, who cares really.

And your're not an s or whatever.

And it won't affect you for anything serious later on, trust me. When the right guy comes along, you'll obviously know if you want to date him or not, and if you do, the single life automatically stops. Till that time comes though, enjoy your life at Uni, do what makes you happy, forget what other people think. Most of them making derogatory comments are probably going to be jealous anyway.

Original post by whatsername2009
Safe, consensual sex between adults is not wrong or something you need to feel ashamed about. It's your life; yes, there are people who will judge you for it, but it's really none of their business. The same thing really applies to any future partners - as long as you don't have any STIs, you don't have any obligation to disclose your full sexual history if you don't want to.

As for if/when you should 'give up' having casual sex, the answer is that you should do what feels right for you. You may well get into a relationship soon and decide that you want to stop then, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't settle down until much later, if at all.

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to opinions because I don't tend to trust my own opinion. These are rather comforting :smile: Although I get a lot of people saying the same, they love to (as a joke) call me out for being a s**t which is getting unsettling. Need to tell them to stop this I guess

Original post by ZRO
It's your life end of the day. You do what you think is right for you as its a decision you should be making with yourself, not TSR.

Of course I'll make the decision for myself but i'd still like feedback and opinions, especially if other people feel the same way. Like I said I cannot trust my own judgement on most things and just wanted to know if i've gone too far.
Reply 4
Another question: To those so against casual relationships and such, can I just get your answers as to why?

Just something i've always wanted to know
Another question: To those so against casual relationships and such, can I just get your answers as to why?

Just something i've always wanted to know

I think sex should be an intimate expression of affection, not some cheap natural high. Promiscuity devalues a precious spiritual experience, for me.
Reply 6
I think sex should be an intimate expression of affection, not some cheap natural high. Promiscuity devalues a precious spiritual experience, for me.

It's never really been like that for me. Do you think this is because I just haven't met the right person yet or ever been in love?
Reply 7
Jealousy. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about what other people think. :smile:

Thanks, I don't usually but it sometimes worries me how i've never felt so spiritually about sex ? :frown:
Reply 8

1. ignore all the guys that will inevitably say 'you're a slag no-one will date you'
2. You'll be fine, if a guy likes you enough it wont bother him, in a way you just filter out the douchebags that actually give a **** about that sort of thing :smile:
3. Although it will be offputting if a guy likes you and you keep getting with and going home with other guys in front of him, that **** is pretty crushing.
Reply 9
It's never really been like that for me. Do you think this is because I just haven't met the right person yet or ever been in love?

It is probably because you are logical not emotional about it, which is a perfectly fine way to be.
Thanks, I don't usually but it sometimes worries me how i've never felt so spiritually about sex ? :frown:

Its a different feeling ofcourse when you're in a relationship and really care for someone, but the flings and casual relationships are their own thing.

Spirituality pertaining to sex is more mythical than anything else in the modern age to be honest.
You'll be bored of it by end of first year, just carry on.
Reply 12
Original post by redferry
1. ignore all the guys that will inevitably say 'you're a slag no-one will date you'
2. You'll be fine, if a guy likes you enough it wont bother him, in a way you just filter out the douchebags that actually give a **** about that sort of thing :smile:
3. Although it will be offputting if a guy likes you and you keep getting with and going home with other guys in front of him, that **** is pretty crushing.

I know this , i've been fully informed but how are we ever to know if a guy (say in your big social group of friends) likes you if they don't say anything? In that case i've kind of messed it up already :/

It is probably because you are logical not emotional about it, which is a perfectly fine way to be.

but won't this be problematic when I do eventually end up in a relationship ?
Reply 13
Its a different feeling ofcourse when you're in a relationship and really care for someone, but the flings and casual relationships are their own thing.

Spirituality pertaining to sex is more mythical than anything else in the modern age to be honest.

silly question but how so? Could you elaborate on this point please :smile:

Original post by scrotgrot
You'll be bored of it by end of first year, just carry on.

Let's hope so
silly question but how so? Could you elaborate on this point please :smile:

Let's hope so

Do carry on though, if you worry about it you won't have any fun doing it anyway, which would be a shame, if you're going to be promiscuous you might as well enjoy it.
Im not anti casual relationships but sleeping around has never interested me I cant enjoy sex unless im in love with the person, I have to have to love the guy or I simply just dont want sex so thats why I dont personally want to/havent done it, Sex for me is an expression of love although i fully understand im old fashioned in having this view.

I do not have an issue with people who have one night stands casual sex the only issue I have is when these actions hurt somebody i.e if one of the people has a boyfriend or a girlfriend or is seeing somebody then Im totally against it and do thing it is a slutty thing to do but if your both 100% single then its fine.

I dont think it will affect a long term relationship as long as you dont end up getting a reputation for yourself, sleeping around is fine but I think if you were taking different guys back everynight of the week then it be an issue. I can only talk from a girl perspective but my boyfriend slept around before he got with me hes had a fair few one night stands and causl relationships and it hasnt stopped me falling for him
Reply 16
I know this , i've been fully informed but how are we ever to know if a guy (say in your big social group of friends) likes you if they don't say anything? In that case i've kind of messed it up already :/

Its generally pretty obvious, if he is at your beck and call and tries to tend to your emotional needs, puts in that extra effort compared to your other friends, then he likes you.

but won't this be problematic when I do eventually end up in a relationship ?

Not really if you love someone then the sex will always have emotion attached :smile: all the people saying sex is special just feel the need to be attached to that person to do it in the first place.
just make sure you dont get hurt op, espcially seeing as ur having sex with guys you talk to regularly

but my problem is i get attached way too easily and then end up getting hurt :frown:
Reply 18

This, and the first two replies on the thread are what you want to listen to.

As for number two, the right guy genuinely wont care or judge. And not only if hes had loads of girls himself. For example;

Im my bf's first, my bf is the 7th guy for me.

The only thing my bf cared about was that i had used protection, other than that he did not care. He understood people live their lives before they meet the one they are with and people have sex and enjoy it. This is what the right guy will be like.

And if a guy who was a virgin can take that attitude there is no excuse for any guy whos had several partners expecting a girl to be a little pure innocent princess. So dont bother with them.
Reply 19
Original post by A100whoo
just make sure you dont get hurt op, espcially seeing as ur having sex with guys you talk to regularly

but my problem is i get attached way too easily and then end up getting hurt :frown:

I didn't think I'd get hurt tbh. But the last one won't leave my mind. He was a friend of a friends who I've been wanting to meet for a while. We ended up sleeping together that night and now I regret it because I really wanted to be friends with him because he's really fun to be around. We spoke a lot before hand and a few times afterwards but now he doesn't speak to me anymore which makes me regret doing it.

I've decided to chuck the lifestyle to avoid getting seriously hurt and the anxiety is killing me.
Thanks for all your help guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending