The Student Room Group

Why are Muslim's portrayed as terrorist's in today's society?

In my opinion, it was America that carried out the World Trade Center bombings, and Muslim's were the scape goats for it. Thought this is relevant as it is one of the main reasons that Muslims are called terrorists. Secondly, Islam is a religion of peace, therefore surely a terrorist shall not be called or considered a Muslim even though they usually claim to be doing their actions in the name of Islam.

Please stop disliking, we are all entitles to our own opinions.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Danya1
In my opinion, it was America that carried out the World Trade Center bombings, and Muslim's were the scape goats for it. Thought this is relevant as it is one of the main reasons that Muslims are called terrorists. Secondly, Islam is a religion of peace, therefore surely a terrorist shall not be called or considered a Muslim even though they usually claim to be doing their actions in the name of Islam.

trust me, if there was no Muslims in the world, it would be another religion..as much as the media are good at demonising and making a story out of half baked fabrications, the reader enjoys it as much. so we all play a part !
Because the middle eastern and African countries where there is a lot of war and terrorist attacks tend to have Islamic majorities. Some Islamic countries also practice Sharia law or deny rights to certain people which many people see as an act of civil war and government perpetrated terrorism in itself.

Even then most do not see Muslims who live in the west as terrorists, just a select xenophobic few.
If someone keeps telling you something, then eventually you're going to believe it - regardless of whether its true or not. I blame the media. But rizzl8 is right, if Islam didn't exist, then they'd just find another religion to hate on.
You know, I believe it has a lot to do with how the Muslim countries portray their own disturbances and riots. I mean, I'm from South-East Asia, and most of the bombings and the riots and stuff are initiated by the extremist Islamist groups. I completely agree with you, being a Muslim myself, that these terrorists cannot claim to be Muslims, but when you look at the picture as an outsider, it does seem like the Muslims are terrorists. You say you blame America...I say we really don't have any substantial proof against them, do we? Not when we see similar situations going on in our own countries, carried out by these religious groups.

I'm not saying people from other religions don't contribute to the disturbances themselves, but when you look at the statistics...take places like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh for example... Islamist groups steal the limelight.

Islam is about peace, and I think the part that we play is to actually portray that image instead of finding people to blame. Saying that all Muslims are terrorists is just another form of prejudice.
Stupidly, people don't take into account the sheer size of Islam, and how many Muslims there are. If you look at it relatively, the amount of Muslims that commit these terror acts are a very, very minute percentage. I am not condoning these acts of terror when I say this, but, when your country and lifestyle is destroyed it's not hard to believe that people are going to be angry and resort to violent, terrorist groups as a method of 'retribution'.
Reply 6
The way i see it, just because one muslim is a terrorist it shouldn't reflect on muslims everywhere. Just because one christian is a murderer doesn't mean they all are. People have forgotten this and have become paranoid, to the extent they are scared when a muslim man with a backpack walks onto a bus!
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Because the middle eastern and African countries where there is a lot of war and terrorist attacks tend to have Islamic majorities. Some Islamic countries also practice Sharia law or deny rights to certain people which many people see as an act of civil war and government perpetrated terrorism in itself.

Even then most do not see Muslims who live in the west as terrorists, just a select xenophobic few.

Although you make a very good point, I think there are more than a few people who see western muslims as terrorists, it has become a very widespread perception.
Reply 8
Original post by Danya1

I agree with you. 9/11 started it all mainly.
Let me give you an example: 'American terrorists hijack planes and crash them into the twin towers in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates is invading Canada to capture the terrorists'.
Does this make sense? No. It was said that the so called 'terrorists' were identified as Saudi Arabian yet Afghanistan and Iraq were invaded.
Around 3000 people died, right? Everyone is saddened by that but no one looks at the millions of Muslims innocent who have died and are still drying to this 'war on terror' which is not what it is being portrayed to be. Read this: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/06/15/osama-bin-laden-the-innocent-man-closing-the-case/

An no, I already knew about 9/11 being an inside job before reading that.

To people with an open mind (mainly), I know that the media is our main source of news but at least try looking into it from a different perspective. For example, Try RussiaToday instead of CNN or Presstv.ir instead BBC. Keep a balanced outlook, although I mainly go on CNN, Fox News etc for a good laugh.

The other thing is that the Middle East and Africa are very resourceful. Gold, diamonds, oil, heroine, you name it.
Remember how Col Gaddafi was killed? He was trying to unite all African/Muslim countries and asking them to trade in Gold instead of US petro dollars and the countries seemed keen on it. Next thing you know, there are rebels trying to take him down. Really, if you actually look into what this man has done for his people and what he was planning to do, you will see the injustice and cruelty. Now Libya is a real dump!
Same goes for Assad, US funded rebels are trying to take him down when the Syrian people support him! The Western media only shows you the rebels (portrayed as citizens fighting against Assad, I believe).
Likewise, Iran is being constantly pestered with sanctions which is harming their trading and causing adverse effect on the people! A lack of medicine for patients is one thing these sanctions have caused. All due to false allegations against their peaceful nuclear energy program.
The Taliban in Afghanistan are fighting against the invading soldiers to protect their people and land. Wouldn't you do the same?
BUT it's not just Western countries either. Countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Bahrain are also evil for siding with the US. Have you ever noticed how there is hardly anything bad about these countries in the news? Or hardly anything 'war' type going on?

Who's the real terrorist?
Reply 9
Original post by You-know-who
You know, I believe it has a lot to do with how the Muslim countries portray their own disturbances and riots. I mean, I'm from South-East Asia, and most of the bombings and the riots and stuff are initiated by the extremist Islamist groups. I completely agree with you, being a Muslim myself, that these terrorists cannot claim to be Muslims, but when you look at the picture as an outsider, it does seem like the Muslims are terrorists. You say you blame America...I say we really don't have any substantial proof against them, do we? Not when we see similar situations going on in our own countries, carried out by these religious groups.

I'm not saying people from other religions don't contribute to the disturbances themselves, but when you look at the statistics...take places like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh for example... Islamist groups steal the limelight.

Islam is about peace, and I think the part that we play is to actually portray that image instead of finding people to blame. Saying that all Muslims are terrorists is just another form of prejudice.

You can hardly say you know much about what's actually going on when you think there is no proof against America..
come on. it's because of the many high profile terrorist attacks committed in the name of islam. whether that's a fair thing to do or not, it's obviously the reason.
Reply 11
Original post by Mazy95
I agree with you. 9/11 started it all mainly.
Let me give you an example: 'American terrorists hijack planes and crash them into the twin towers in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates is invading Canada to capture the terrorists'.
Does this make sense? No. It was said that the so called 'terrorists' were identified as Saudi Arabian yet Afghanistan and Iraq were invaded.
Around 3000 people died, right? Everyone is saddened by that but no one looks at the millions of Muslims innocent who have died and are still drying to this 'war on terror' which is not what it is being portrayed to be. Read this: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/06/15/osama-bin-laden-the-innocent-man-closing-the-case/

An no, I already knew about 9/11 being an inside job before reading that.

To people with an open mind (mainly), I know that the media is our main source of news but at least try looking into it from a different perspective. For example, Try RussiaToday instead of CNN or Presstv.ir instead BBC. Keep a balanced outlook, although I mainly go on CNN, Fox News etc for a good laugh.

The other thing is that the Middle East and Africa are very resourceful. Gold, diamonds, oil, heroine, you name it.
Remember how Col Gaddafi was killed? He was trying to unite all African/Muslim countries and asking them to trade in Gold instead of US petro dollars and the countries seemed keen on it. Next thing you know, there are rebels trying to take him down. Really, if you actually look into what this man has done for his people and what he was planning to do, you will see the injustice and cruelty. Now Libya is a real dump!
Same goes for Assad, US funded rebels are trying to take him down when the Syrian people support him! The Western media only shows you the rebels (portrayed as citizens fighting against Assad, I believe).
Likewise, Iran is being constantly pestered with sanctions which is harming their trading and causing adverse effect on the people! A lack of medicine for patients is one thing these sanctions have caused. All due to false allegations against their peaceful nuclear energy program.
The Taliban in Afghanistan are fighting against the invading soldiers to protect their people and land. Wouldn't you do the same?
BUT it's not just Western countries either. Countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Bahrain are also evil for siding with the US. Have you ever noticed how there is hardly anything bad about these countries in the news? Or hardly anything 'war' type going on?

Who's the real terrorist?

I agree, and who the terrorist is not really even a question as such, it's pretty straight forward that America is causing more damage in this world than Muslim nations.
Unfortunately, many people are naive and do not realize this, instead they are misguided by the media.
Points to consider when calling Muslim's terrorists are:

The amount of people who have died in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan due to American troops

What was America's true motive when invading Iraq in the 90's (in my opinion, it was oil)

Why are they still in Afghanistan now that Osama Bin Laden is dead

Reply 12
Original post by Danya1
I agree, and who the terrorist is not really even a question as such, it's pretty straight forward that America is causing more damage in this world than Muslim nations.
Unfortunately, many people are naive and do not realize this, instead they are misguided by the media.
Points to consider when calling Muslim's terrorists are:

The amount of people who have died in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan due to American troops

What was America's true motive when invading Iraq in the 90's (in my opinion, it was oil)

Why are they still in Afghanistan now that Osama Bin Laden is dead

I don't even believe that Osama Bin Laden was found in Pakistan. There was no proof.
Oh and excuse the spelling mistakes in my previous post, I was in a hurry. Haha.
Reply 13
In answer to the OP's original question:

Currently ?most? people arrested and convicted of terrorism offences are Muslims, and therefore, to the minds of the general public, ?most? Muslims are terrorists.

We all know it's nonsense, but that is the herd mentality.
Reply 14
Original post by Danya1

Firstly, you thinking something doesn't make it correct or relevant and secondly bin laden claimed responsibility for the 9/11 attacks so I'm not sure how you 'troofers' spin that one.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr Zurkon
Firstly, you thinking something doesn't make it correct or relevant and secondly bin laden claimed responsibility for the 9/11 attacks so I'm not sure how you 'troofers' spin that one.

Hahha, yeah right.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/06...sing-the-case/
Reply 16
Original post by Mr Zurkon

It does as a matter of fact, unlike you, I have done my research and know what I am talking about, on the other hand, you do not.
Reply 17
Original post by Mazy95
I don't even believe that Osama Bin Laden was found in Pakistan. There was no proof.
Oh and excuse the spelling mistakes in my previous post, I was in a hurry. Haha.

There is no proof that he is even dead seeing as they did not post pictures as they were apparently too controversial, and buried him at sea (after making up a new Islamic tradition), but the fact remains, that America has been looking for him in Afghanistan for years now, and now that they claim he is dead what are they still doing there?
Btw, for some one in a hurry, you did type quite a lot :smile:
Reply 18

Oh great, a page of conspiracy theory nonsense, thanks. I bet you think the US government is behind the Sandy Hook shootings too. Or the Illuminati.
Reply 19
Original post by Danya1
In my opinion, it was America that carried out the World Trade Center bombings
hmmmm...

a case of bland paranoia

nothing really serious, of course

however, stay away from those conspiracy theories (for a few months, at least)

that will be 60 quid, thnx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending