The Student Room Group

How hard is Engineering?

Would anyone be able to do it if they put in enough effort?

Or would you need a natural non-manifested mind in order to do well? I mean, is maths the sort of subject that you either have it or you don't? (I'm not saying here that there are people who are great at maths and rarely study, I am asking if there are minds that would never be able to do an engineering (or any maths based course) regardless of the work they put in.

Scroll to see replies

by no means impossible but hard enough to actually be worth doing. yes, anyone can do it, all anything is is practice.
Well, engineering isn't maths, so you get some people who are good at engineering but not so great at maths. Although there is a strong mathematical content involved, it's nothing like compared to a maths degree, and if you can reach the entry requirements then you'll probably cope fine providing you do actually work.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Well, engineering isn't maths, so you get some people who are good at engineering but not so great at maths. Although there is a strong mathematical content involved, it's nothing like compared to a maths degree, and if you can reach the entry requirements then you'll probably cope fine providing you do actually work.

Only thing is I'm applying for foundation year entry so haven't had the chance to properly test myself at a standard that would permit me entry onto the 1st year of the course. Thats why I was asking about the whole mathematical mind thing...
Reply 4
What do you actually do in engineering?
It's not always that hard, but its often time consuming. I'm in my third year of an engineering degree and I along with many others are in Uni on weekends (and yes we don't leave everything to the last minute and we are not 'bottom of the class')
I completely dismiss this theory about being good or bad at maths. People who are good at maths are those who progress smoothly fully understanding content as they move on, people who are bad at maths are those who leave gaps in their knowledge and eventually reach a point where they feel out of their depth.

Being good at maths as in being talented is a whole different thing, and not required for pretty much any than being a mathematician.
Original post by bestofyou

Or would you need a natural non-manifested mind in order to do well? I mean, is maths the sort of subject that you either have it or you don't? (I'm not saying here that there are people who are great at maths and rarely study, I am asking if there are minds that would never be able to do an engineering (or any maths based course) regardless of the work they put in.

What type of engineering?
Reply 8
Original post by MORPHEUS24-7
What type of engineering?

Electronics...considering switching to Computer Science though...why?
Electronics...considering switching to Computer Science though...why?

I was just wondering because some engineering degrees have more theory/maths and others are more practical ect. I just wanted to see what areas you are in.

I do Robotics, which is mainly computer science (and AI) but it does have electronics and communications theory in it.

I don't have an A level in maths, and would count myself as not great at maths, I put the effort in to learn and 'deal with' the maths that is involved. So no, I don't think that there are people who cannot do an engineering degree. It's not about what you know, its about what you can learn.
Reply 10

The foundation year will prepare you enough to be able to pass first year of your degree choice, if one fails the foundation year then tbh don't do engineering. Engineering is a hard road there is no one that I know who found it "easy" they will be times when you dislike it but one must be prepared to put in hard work.If you work hard you will achieve what you want in the end compared to someone who was just lazy and will probably drop out or get kicked of the course. It is safe to say engineers are fairly good at maths but its not the only skill needed and its also not the most important.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I was just wondering because some engineering degrees have more theory/maths and others are more practical ect. I just wanted to see what areas you are in.

I do Robotics, which is mainly computer science (and AI) but it does have electronics and communications theory in it.

I don't have an A level in maths, and would count myself as not great at maths, I put the effort in to learn and 'deal with' the maths that is involved. So no, I don't think that there are people who cannot do an engineering degree. It's not about what you know, its about what you can learn.

where do you study the robotics at?
where do you study the robotics at?

UWE Bristol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
UWE Bristol

Wow! Do you get to do anything in the BRL?
Original post by + polarity -
Wow! Do you get to do anything in the BRL?

I actually have a desk in there :smile:

It's not part of the curriculum per se, it's mainly for postgrad and beyond. But a few of us third years can go in

I actually have a desk in there :smile:

:dice:

Do you get to help the lecturers/researchers in there?
Original post by + polarity -
:dice:

Do you get to help the lecturers/researchers in there?

Yeah sort of, my dissertation is helping towards a phd students thesis. Most of the work done there is confidential

Yeah sort of, my dissertation is helping towards a phd students thesis. Most of the work done there is confidential

That sounds amazing. I chose the wrong uni lol
Reply 19
UWE Bristol

Sick...I'd love to get into bionics when/if I ever graduate, I've got a chance to do AI along side. Bound to have a lot of that in Robotics?

When you say that the different degrees have different levels of theory/practicals would this also go for the same degrees at different universities you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending