The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Anthropology

Anyone one here take this A Level?

I studying it with ICS, does anyone know any useful textbooks and/or online resources apart from Discoveranthropology site and the books by joy hendry?
Reply 1
Hi! I've been studying A level Anthropology with ICS since September :smile: Because it's a new A level there aren't any AQA A level Specific books for the course, but I invested in "Anthropology for Dummies" (it sounds weird but I find it helpful!) and it helps to buy some of the books that they recommend in the course binder, always check out the key materials at the end of the units 'cause they're helpful, I don't get much help from my tutor but yours might be more helpful! :smile: If you need anything else just ask! I'm sitting my AS exams in May so good luck with yours! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, How you finding the course? I'm a little disapointed with it, I've submitted two test papers, so far and I've not had any feedback, my first test paper was submitted in January !! Like you I've got my AS exam in May, so could do with the feedback, are you taking Units 1 and 2?
Reply 3
Hi! I like the course, I just wish my tutor gave me feedback on my test papers! All I get is a grade and a percentage, although since they updated the website I got some feedback on my 3rd test paper which was alright.. Have you not got your results from your test papers? Cause if that's the case you should email them straight away! Yeah same, I'd like to know like where I'm at and where I need to improve but I don't get anything so I don't know what I need to revise more etc. Yeah I am, are you? :smile:
I'm currently taking the A2 at college. For AS, apart from the Joy Hendry books, my teacher recommended 'Small Places, Large Issues' by Thomas Hylland Eriksen. I found that pretty good.

You can actually find a lot of stuff online as well, just search the internet for the different subject content and you can usually find stuff that is helpful.

I'd also say try reading an ethnography, or some of one at least. I only did that this year, but I have found it has really helped me understand and apply a lot of the AS content.
Reply 5
I'm well nervous about this exams, what tips would you give me for the exams, I've looked at the past papers and some of those questions require detailed well thought out answers and giving we only get 1hr.30mins i know i'm going to run out of time.
I have a book appropriately titled 'Anthropology' by Joy Hendry and Simon Underwood that my teacher reccomended for me to read as it is a beginner's level and contains a lot of things found on the specification e.g. rituals, personhood, boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just realised you didn't want Joy Hendry! There is also 'Stuff' by Daniel Miller.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by RunningInHeels
Just realised you didn't want Joy Hendry! There is also 'Stuff' by Daniel Miller.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I note Aberdeen School of Anthropology do the course by distance learning too.
Reply 9
Hi guys I'm on the verge of a decision I need help with. I really want to do anthropology on my own as an A level but looking for the books I realised how many there are in the aqa resource list and not many of them are in libraries in my city. Are there any books that have a lot of the content in them like An Introduction to Social Anthropology: Sharing our Worlds (2nd ed) by Joy hendry? Or do you need to pop in and out of books? Also is the internet a reliable resource? thanks
Im considering doing psychology joint honours with maybe anthropology as a degree. Can someone explain what you do and learn about etc
Reply 11
Original post by Naaadiiiaaa
I'm currently taking the A2 at college. For AS, apart from the Joy Hendry books, my teacher recommended 'Small Places, Large Issues' by Thomas Hylland Eriksen. I found that pretty good.

You can actually find a lot of stuff online as well, just search the internet for the different subject content and you can usually find stuff that is helpful.

I'd also say try reading an ethnography, or some of one at least. I only did that this year, but I have found it has really helped me understand and apply a lot of the AS content.

Hi I'm studying without a teacher, how effective is searching the internet?
Original post by Yowya
Hi I'm studying without a teacher, how effective is searching the internet?

Searching the internet is not your best bet. I would recommend the book 'Introductory Readings in Anthropology.' It's the closest you will get to finding a textbook as it covers most of the topics in the specifications.

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introductory-Readings-Anthropology-Hilary-Callan/dp/0857459694/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383240939&sr=1-1&keywords=introductory+readings+in+anthropology
Im doing mine at st martins in the fields in South London as a private candidate for anthropology so you could check there however I am a former student and does anyone have a go to book for as anthropology im doing my exam in may or even just advice of what I should definitely know/read up on
Original post by Cubchoo
Thanks for the reply, How you finding the course? I'm a little disapointed with it, I've submitted two test papers, so far and I've not had any feedback, my first test paper was submitted in January !! Like you I've got my AS exam in May, so could do with the feedback, are you taking Units 1 and 2?

Hey, im not studying this course but I had a rubbish experience with ICS too with a psychology A level. I've found a few people on TSR who are unhappy with ICS. My tutor just totally ignored me..and my course materials were full of mistakes. I gave up with them.and am now self teaching at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any more tips for self-teaching this A Level?
Urgent! Does anyone have the 2014 anthropology past paper?! I need it desperately

Quick Reply