The Student Room Group

Why are immigrants hated in this country?

Why are so many people aganist immigrants/refugees/asylum seekers in this country?: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2288190/Why-SHOULD-crackdown-migrants-mean-crackdown-Britain.html

They are obviously vital for our economy and usually here to better themselves through work no one in this country usually wants (factory, kebab shop) or they are fleeing war torn countries. I personally know many immigrants and most suffer mental and physical health problems due to trauma, and most of their children/family have been brutially killed.

Again, in many newspapers they seem to imply we have the most immigrants coming here, but the actual figure is less than 2% of refugees arriving here (most go to afgan/pakistan/jorden etc.). And other western countries such as Canada/Austr. take more than 10 times the number that EUROPE takes.

Of course, they are a select few who abuse the 'relaxed' system of this country but why do so many people seem to think this is the majority?

P.S. I know the Daily Mail are idiots, but thought I'd use their acticle becuase so many people seem to commont on this website.

Scroll to see replies

Cuz dey tuk ar jubz nd ar bene fits. Innit.

I dunno. Probably a lack of understanding and integration between people who live here already and the n00bs to this place.
Reply 2
Those damn immigrants takin our jobs with their muslamic ray guns...

People in this country dont hate immigrants, on the whole, it just happens that the ones that do [aside from b eing brain dead monkeys] manage to shout louder than everyone else who politely ignores them :smile:
Original post by mikeyd85

I dunno. Probably a lack of understanding and integration between people who live here already and the n00bs to this place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

I'm not going to talk about crime, housing, healthcare, benefits etc as I don't know enough about the situation tbh. It may well be the case immigrants ON THE WHOLE more reliant on the state.

However, immigrants to take jobs but are they the ones that people neccessairly go for? I mean yes this is a student forum so people are more inclined to say no but I see more immigrants on tills, cleaners etc-not exactly taking too many of the high income, most sought after jobs.
As for if they have children if they work hard and get in a position to fill a high paying job then well good for you-they aren't from a financial view detrimental to society (above examples).

(edited 11 years ago)
Its easier to blame others rather than yourself.
Reply 5
Immigrants cause britain a big deal of problems some of them take advantages of country benefits, housing, health care, and legal aid, usually immigrants from eastern countries intend to come to this country to find work then send money back home thus not benefiting the country itself. They also work for cheaper pay rates which is one of the main reasons so many brits are out of work. Immigrants that come to the country deliberately commit crime ruin the reputation of their fellow people.

There's so many reasons, fraud, crime, lack of work ethic, benefit claims, terrorism. The list goes on and this is coming from a foreigner that lives in the united kingdom.
Reply 6
Haha liking the replies! Maybe I should stop reading the Daily Mail.. I get so mad everytime I do, it's just the comments are so funny!
Reply 7
Original post by Cape Verde
Immigrants cause britain a big deal of problems some of them take advantages of country benefits, housing, health care, and legal aid, usually immigrants from eastern countries intend to come to this country to find work then send money back home thus not benefiting the country itself. They also work for cheaper pay rates which is one of the main reasons so many brits are out of work. Immigrants that come to the country deliberately commit crime ruin the reputation of their fellow people.

There's so many reasons, fraud, crime, lack of work ethic, benefit claims, terrorism. The list goes on and this is coming from a foreigner that lives in the united kingdom.

But they are a very select few who abuse the system. There's always someone, somewhere, in some country who takes advantage of something.

But they work for less pay becuase they can't find any work otherwise. And isn't that the fault of their employer? It's the law and the company/person is breaking the law in not paying their workers' fairly. And it's hardly fair to say immigrants cuase crime here, I don't know the statisitics but I'll bet my right foot that the crime figures in this country for immigrants is much less than it is for citizens. Again, it's very few.

And as for all those reasons, the people who commit those crimes are much more likely to be British, like I said I know lots of immigrants and they are all dying to work and very grateful to get the opportunity to live in peace in this country.
Reply 8
Original post by Free.Help
Why are so many people aganist immigrants/refugees/asylum seekers in this country?: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2288190/Why-SHOULD-crackdown-migrants-mean-crackdown-Britain.html

They are obviously vital for our economy
This is true, but we need to find a way of supporting our pensioners without having to continually increase the population - to do so is unsustainable.

and usually here to better themselves through work no one in this country usually wants (factory, kebab shop)
Swap kebab shop for fish and chip shop, and you'll find those jobs were taken up by natives for ages.

or they are fleeing war torn countries. I personally know many immigrants and most suffer mental and physical health problems due to trauma, and most of their children/family have been brutially killed.
This might sound harsh, but why then are they coming here? Unless they've been given a free plane ticket here, they could have flown/sailed/driven to a closer peacetime neighbour for much cheaper - until Ireland or France have a civil war, there's no reason we should help apart from perhaps helping to overthrow the tyrant.

Again, in many newspapers they seem to imply we have the most immigrants coming here, but the actual figure is less than 2% of refugees arriving here (most go to afgan/pakistan/jorden etc.). And other western countries such as Canada/Austr. take more than 10 times the number that EUROPE takes.
Compare us to the rest of the EU, since it is the EU that has taken away control of our borders. It makes sense to look at laws which affect us in different ways to the rest of the EU and decide whether or not it's fair.

Of course, they are a select few who abuse the 'relaxed' system of this country but why do so many people seem to think this is the majority?
There shouldn't be any abusers, and there are a significant number, even if not a majority. Plus you've got the legitimate argument of an immigrant doing a job pushing a native onto the dole. Say there's 10 jobs going, and 10 natives unemployed capable of doing them, you'd end up with 10 people in work. But if you throw in 10 immigrants capable of doing the jobs, even if those who didn't find work returned home, you'd have 5 immigrants in work, 5 natives in work, and 5 natives unemployed.
(edited 11 years ago)
With part of my family being immigrants, I find this view that immigrants come and do the jobs no one else wants and leach off the system strange. The half of my family which came from the commonwealth, certainly don't work in cheap jobs, certainly don't have a negative economic drain, and have most certainly "integrated" into British life. All my friends from immigrant back grounds are much the same, medical professionals and business owners.

You cannot just state "immigrants" and then proceed to talk as if there is this homogeneous group.
Scapegoats are needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But they are a very select few who abuse the system. There's always someone, somewhere, in some country who takes advantage of something.

But they work for less pay becuase they can't find any work otherwise. And isn't that the fault of their employer? It's the law and the company/person is breaking the law in not paying their workers' fairly. And it's hardly fair to say immigrants cuase crime here, I don't know the statisitics but I'll bet my right foot that the crime figures in this country for immigrants is much less than it is for citizens. Again, it's very few.

And as for all those reasons, the people who commit those crimes are much more likely to be British, like I said I know lots of immigrants and they are all dying to work and very grateful to get the opportunity to live in peace in this country.

I definitely agree with the fact that a selected few individuals do ruin the reputation for most immigrants, but they are making the Britons angry and turning them against other immigrants. Employers intend to hire these immigrants because they work for cheaper and often are illegal in the country which makes it easier for the employer to avoid tax. There are cases of immigrants not being paid because they are illegal and have no say whatsoever the companies and employers are to blame too.

It is only common sense to know the fact that the most crime commited in the united kingdom is by the british. However the media makes it out to be that immigrants are the main cause of problems in Britain that affect us.Which is why there is so much hate thrown at immigrants. "Blame your problems on others" The ones that do work hard and contribute to the country are affected by the hate and blamed for the things they didn't do.
Reply 12
I cannot understand why a group of people moving around causes so much contravercy. If people want to move, let them move. Unless ofcourse you feel a you have a certain ownership of the land and thus should have a say or you think only certain people have a right to live on that land and others have less right to live on the land.
There is the obvious argument of too much immigration into one place causes cluster but if you dont like it, move away from said place.

This obviously leads us to the question, do the natives of the land deserve more of a right to live on that land than everyone else?

Are the Irish, Scottish more welcome to live in England than Nigerians? Why? Race issue, culture issue or a just some fasination why they chose England of all places?I am fairly neutral to this. Though I think, if people have to make space for you and try to accommodate you, if you are bothering them and they have to go out of their way to make you feel accepted, if you are not willing to accept the ways of the society you have moved to then you are not welcome on that land and should look for somewhere else which might suite you a little more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by flemining
I cannot understand why a group of people moving around causes so much contravercy. If people want to move, let them move. Unless ofcourse you feel a you have a certain ownership of the land and thus should have a say or you think only certain people have a right to live on that land and others have less right to live on the land.
There is the obvious argument of too much immigration into one place causes cluster but if you dont like it, move away from said place.

This obviously leads us to the question, do the natives of the land deserve more of a right to live on that land than everyone else?

Are the Irish, Scottish more welcome to live in England than Nigerians? Why? Race issue, culture issue or a just some fasination why they chose England of all places?

I am fairly neutral to this. Though I think, if people have to make space for you and try to accommodate you, if you are bothering them and they have to go out of their way to make you feel accepted, if you are not willing to accept the ways of the society you have moved to then you are not welcome on that land and should look for somewhere else which might suite you a little more.

It's a territorial instinct. For example, you definitely don't want some random coming into your house against your will, and we all have to have passports to get in somewhere else. As a country, we Brits do own the land, and it makes sense that we can decide who can and can't come in.
Reply 14
through work no one in this country usually wants (factory, kebab shop)

I've never heard or seen any British white person (or even a British black person or chinese person) apply for a job or work in a kebab shop. Such shops are usually family run and employ mostly Italians, Greeks, or Turks. Come to St Helens or Wigan and you'll find many young British males (mainly white) apply for factory jobs all the time. I, myself, have applied for such manual labor jobs, even taking cleaning jobs part-time. Sometimes I have been unsuccessful and found that an immigrant (mainly Polish or Iraqi) has taken the position. I once got an interview to work in a pizza place in Liverpool, and the majority of applicants who got to the interview stage where Europeans, Polish mainly. And at Liverpool when I was a barman, before I left, almost all the staff (mainly University students) were replaced by young Polish girls. After I left that place I got a job as a kitchen porter along with four other Polish people (2 females and 2 males). So I think that the notion that Brits don't want to do these jobs is simply not true. But what is true is that many employers seem to want to hire foreign workers more so than your typical British worker. The reasons for this are not clear but it seems to be based upon the notion that Brits have little or no work ethic. I suspect that the truth is that Brits won't stand for bullying and harrassment whereas foreign workers will. Whilst I was a kitchen porter the chef started bullying the porters, and only I and another colleague stood up to him, whereas our Polish colleagues stood by and said or did nothing about it. Foreign workers will also not answer back to the boss, and will work over-time without pay, something that I have witnessed myself on many occasions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Undeniably we need a certain amount of immigrants because they do the dirty jobs that nobody else will, e.g. cleaners. But there are too many people in this country and immigrants are given ridiculous benefits which they don't obtain elsewhere. So really, people hate immigrants when they should be hating the governments for giving the immigrants the benefits etc. Misdirected hate.

Or even the EU. Directive 2004/38 - you get more/better benefits as a migrant worker than as a national. I understand why people don't like immigrants but really you can't blame them for coming here when we a) make it so easy for them and b) they have a far better life than their own country.
Until I see evidence that white British people haven't been applying for these jobs that migrant workers so readily fill, I'll just assume it's because they're cheap labour.

They do jobs British people won't do = they do jobs British people won't do for an unfair wage.
Reply 17
Nobody likes immigrants. Anywhere. The UK certainly isn't alone in that regard.

As has been mentioned, people are (irrationally) territorial by nature. People tend to associate with those who are most like them - and people who come from another country, especially if they are another shade or have a different shade nose, do NOT look like them. So they project their irrational fears onto the immigrants, to put it quite simply.

That being said, there are legitimate issues with immigration that need to be addressed. There are pros and cons to immigration, especially on a large scale, and these need to be looked at in a balanced manner.
Reply 18
Original post by mikeyd85

:laugh:
Reply 19
Original post by Hopple

They are obviously vital for our economy
This is true, but we need to find a way of supporting our pensioners without having to continually increase the population - to do so is unsustainable.

Swap kebab shop for fish and chip shop, and you'll find those jobs were taken up by natives for ages.

This might sound harsh, but why then are they coming here? Unless they've been given a free plane ticket here, they could have flown/sailed/driven to a closer peacetime neighbour for much cheaper - until Ireland or France have a civil war, there's no reason we should help apart from perhaps helping to overthrow the tyrant.

Compare us to the rest of the EU, since it is the EU that has taken away control of our borders. It makes sense to look at laws which affect us in different ways to the rest of the EU and decide whether or not it's fair.

There shouldn't be any abusers, and there are a significant number, even if not a majority. Plus you've got the legitimate argument of an immigrant doing a job pushing a native onto the dole. Say there's 10 jobs going, and 10 natives unemployed capable of doing them, you'd end up with 10 people in work. But if you throw in 10 immigrants capable of doing the jobs, even if those who didn't find work returned home, you'd have 5 immigrants in work, 5 natives in work, and 5 natives unemployed.

Yes, I mean fats food jobs are taken up by many natives, but most immigrants go into two kinds of work-either lower paid or doctors/lawyers. Every takeaway shop where I live is owned by a past immigrant. So they open buisness' and pay their taxes etc.

But it's a human right to help those living in war torn countries. How can anyone be okay with thousands of people and children dying through wars, persucuation (can't spell lol), government regimes etc.? Would you really be okay with millons of people dying? The UK is far from 'full up' like many say, so it doesn't harm our economy.

And most go to Sweden/Swit./Germany. Not that many come to Britan. And like I said, 98% go to nieghbouring countries in the East, how can we deny such a small number coming here?

Although Britan doesn't do enough, it still better human rights than many Europeon countries, so we shouldn't close our borders like many others do.

There shouldn't be any benefit frauds. Should we take away all benefits to ensure no one cheats, just becuase some do?

Most people don't employ immigrants, I mean of course some do like factories etc. And they abuse their human rights, but other companies, say retail or pub, or whatever, becuase many can't speak English well, don't have English qualifications they don't want them.

It's crazy hard to find any job for a citizen in this country. Can you imagine how hard it is for an immigrant who refuses to work for slave labour? Almost impossible.

Latest

Trending

Trending