The Student Room Group

What career direction

Hey guys, this question is more geared to Computer Science graduates, but anyone is welcome!

I'm finishing my final year on Computer Science and don't know what to do after. I'm on track for a 2.1, live in Manchester and can only live at home for a few months before my parents make me get a job or move out.

Has anyone else done computer science and thought it was too technical or theoretical?

I'm not stupid, I'm just not massively interested in how processors work or how to create a compiler! Id prefer to make websites or mobile apps and not deal with the technical side.

My ideal job would be working with a few other guys on small projects, in a more relaxed environment, where I'm motivated to meet deadlines because we seek the rewards of the hard work, not a boss I never get to meet. Working with any industry as well like sporting, financial, gaming, SME's.

But I think programming is going to become more common knowledge in the future, so if i base my career on something that's going to become less valuable (more available, so price falls), then I will always need to improve.

So, what would you guys suggest. Working for some small start-up and growing my skills each year or using other skills from my degree (networks, databases, systems admin) and opting for a possibly more future proof career.

Thanks for reading that essay! I appreciate any advice.

Nathan
Reply 1
Computer Science is a career which will never die. You went to university for 3+ years and all you can make are mobile web apps. How long do you think people take to program Facebook's server infrastructure, or Barclay's ATM and internet banking systems? It's certainly not something you can pick up a book and read then suddenly know how to do.

If anything, demand for CS graduates keep going up and up, mostly because CS courses are very under subscribed (the name itself scares away half the human population i.e. every female...) but there's more people connecting to the internet, more people doing business on their mobile phones and computers and less people going to high street stores.
Reply 2
Original post by NathanCz
Hey guys, this question is more geared to Computer Science graduates, but anyone is welcome!

I'm finishing my final year on Computer Science and don't know what to do after. I'm on track for a 2.1, live in Manchester and can only live at home for a few months before my parents make me get a job or move out.

Has anyone else done computer science and thought it was too technical or theoretical?

I'm not stupid, I'm just not massively interested in how processors work or how to create a compiler! Id prefer to make websites or mobile apps and not deal with the technical side.

My ideal job would be working with a few other guys on small projects, in a more relaxed environment, where I'm motivated to meet deadlines because we seek the rewards of the hard work, not a boss I never get to meet. Working with any industry as well like sporting, financial, gaming, SME's.

But I think programming is going to become more common knowledge in the future, so if i base my career on something that's going to become less valuable (more available, so price falls), then I will always need to improve.

So, what would you guys suggest. Working for some small start-up and growing my skills each year or using other skills from my degree (networks, databases, systems admin) and opting for a possibly more future proof career.

Thanks for reading that essay! I appreciate any advice.

Nathan

Tech consultant? IBM, Cap, Accenture etc all offer good schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending