The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by MatureStudent36
Unsure how you'd get us to pay for it. I'm more worried about the high price for the other stuff........which apparently is being financed by ever shrinking oil revenues, no rise in taxes, an unsubsidised renewable energy programme and a belief in an economic model based on Ireland.

You're right- how would you go continue to afford free University when England with London can't afford to do so. Also oil revenues fluctuate so much - it's like building a house on quicksand!
Original post by a729
The irony is the SNP want independence from London but will happily give up their sovereignty to Brussels and Berlin by taking up the euro!

But that's where the new gravy train is for Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney to trough from.......I doubt Brussels will be having McAlpine or Grahame.
Unsure how you'd get us to pay for it. .

It will simply be added to the debt burden that Scotland takes on.
Reply 723
Original post by Good bloke
They haven't cottoned on the the fact that independence will mean losing any meaningful say in whichever currency they use. The UK will control sterling with the British economy in mind and Germany and France will control the euro, with no heed to the needs of Scotland in either case.

They'll probably end up like Greece or Ireland (if they're lucky) when the next recession hits
I have a question about Scottish independence - will they carry a national debt? Or will they have a clean slate? Because surely they've contributed to the national debt of the UK, and they could avoid it by gaining independence?
Original post by a729
You're right- how would you go continue to afford free University when England with London can't afford to do so. Also oil revenues fluctuate so much - it's like building a house on quicksand!

Cease with your logic in this debate. :smile:
How dare you raise concerns......
That's it. I'm using my nuclear option......SCAREMONGERER!!!!:colondollar:
Original post by a729
You're right- how would you go continue to afford free University when England with London can't afford to do so.

Not forgetting the extra burden of supplying free places to British students in addition to the current EU ones.
Original post by Hormonal
I have a question about Scottish independence - will they carry a national debt?

Of course. Scotland brought a national debt into the union and will take one away from it. They picked a bad time to leave.
Reply 728
But that's where the new gravy train is for Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney to trough from.......I doubt Brussels will be having McAlpine or Grahame.

Hmm and inevitably the Scottish population will rise when restrictions to Romanian and Bulgarians are waived from 2014.....

It all depends on how much the EU says they have to pay in membership fees- at the moment UK is losing billions being part of the EU...
I have a question about Scottish independence - will they carry a national debt? Or will they have a clean slate? Because surely they've contributed to the national debt of the UK, and they could avoid it by gaining independence?

Yes and no. Yes we will be getting our share of the debt. But many within the SNP are trying to say that if we get the debt then we're a successor state. i.e. we get all of the international benefits of the UK at the moment ref EU, UN, IMF, WTO.....We'll be a succession state though so we'll be taking the debt and loosing all of the treaties.
Of course. Scotland brought a national debt into the union and will take one away from it. They picked a bad time to leave.

Ah good, would've been very irritating if they managed to get away with it. Answer seems kind of obvious now.
Not forgetting the extra burden of supplying free places to British students in addition to the current EU ones.

I think that adds upto £140million a year
Reply 732
Cease with your logic in this debate. :smile:
How dare you raise concerns......
That's it. I'm using my nuclear option......SCAREMONGERER!!!!:colondollar:

Loooool if I was Scottish I'd day No!

It's interesting how 16-17 year olds will vote in one of the most important constitutional change for over 200 years!

Anyhow 100% of the UK will be effected by this vote but only 8% get a say!? UK democracy at its finest!
. But many within the SNP are trying to say that if we get the debt then we're a successor state.

Members of the SNP seem to have been dipped in a large vat of a perfume called Wishful Thinking, and appear to want to ignore reality completely.
Yes and no. Yes we will be getting our share of the debt. But many within the SNP are trying to say that if we get the debt then we're a successor state. i.e. we get all of the international benefits of the UK at the moment ref EU, UN, IMF, WTO.....We'll be a succession state though so we'll be taking the debt and loosing all of the treaties.

Are you voting? If so, what are you voting for?
I think that adds upto £140million a year

That won't be true for long with free university only a train ride away in an English-speaking country.
Reply 736
Ah good, would've been very irritating if they managed to get away with it. Answer seems kind of obvious now.

Plus how are they gonna pay for the NHS and the pension liablity?
Reply 737
That won't be true for long with free university only a train ride away in an English-speaking country.

That's if the EU will allow Scotland in lool!
Original post by a729
Plus how are they gonna pay for the NHS and the pension liablity?

From the unlimited riches of green energy and North Sea oil, of course! :wink:
This seems like an extremely stupid idea.

Scotland don't seem to get ANYTHING positive from this apart from a bit of wonderful 'extra' sovereignty...

Latest

Trending

Trending