The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by River85
I saw this as being similar to Bayern in 2010, tbh, with Evra or Nani being sent off.

Was Rafa Da Silva two yellows that night, wasn't it? I had the same sensation though.

This one hurts, but I think we can all be very proud of the effort that we put it in over the two legs. Some shift. :cool:
But based on these performances-it can only get better for the team based on young players' performances-rafeal, welbeck, cleverly etc. We still got premier league and fa cup. And we can only improve next season too.
Original post by Zürich
Surely one of your best ever players and leaders is not going to become an outcast for expressing his opinion on a tackle?

Not exactly the first time he has come off as a sour bastard with regards to United though is it? He seems to go out of his way to be especially contrary when it comes to United. Still a legend though.

I'm in two minds with that tackle; my main gripe would be that if Nani went then Xavi Alonso should have went about five minutes into the match as well.
Only criticism I have of SAF was his decision to wait 17min after the sending off to make a change. Should of instantly put on Evans or Valencia imo.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
I really feel sorry for Nani he nearly cried but he held it in, Mourinho then shacks his hand because he felt for him.7

I think Sir Alex needs to get the team together and highlighting each of their brilliant performances. Move on...(Hate to say it). Brilliant crowd and performance of the team.

I swear that ref, if he is in front of me right know...let's just say he will never referee again.

Said that when he gave messi that bull**** penalty last year against us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1705
Tbf I thought it was a red. It wasn't intentional or as bad as De Jong/Alonso but I can never see the point of someone sticking their boot up like that to control a ball. Just too risky especially in Europe of it being deemed a red. You've got to play the occasion a bit better and be aware that the ref has shown to be card-happy in the past.

Happy with the performance though. Didn't think we were capable of winning this before the start of the season, but that was quite an encouraging tie (certainly tactically - which was an area I thought we fell behind a bit especially last season).
Original post by doggyfizzel
It more the pathetic way he is desperate to give a opinion of United which is critical. If its a 50/50 he's always go anti United, he always critical of a player performance, he'll always take a pop at SAF if he can. Its not a one off, it just reeks of bitter, and its quite childish tbh. But we all know Roy Keane holds grudges.

I think that's just the way his mind works. Not so much that hes got anything against Utd, just that he actively tries to burn his bridges everywhere he goes. He turned on Ireland as well many times so I think he's just brutally and bluntly honest. No anti-utd bitterness or anything as far as I can see.

What would he be bitter about?

Seems bizarre to me to throw all the wonderful things Keano did for you aside over a few silly sentences in a studio. Ian Wright/Adams/Merson come out every other week saying Arsenal are a joke going nowhere but I wouldnt hold it against them since that's what they believe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stopmessing
Only criticism I have of SAF was his decision to wait 17min after the sending off to make a change. Should of instantly put on Evans or Valencia imo.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Could be even more dangerous to make a change as soon as someone is sent off. You're risking the confusion of "two different players" (one sub and one not there anymore, so to speak) rather than easing them both in.. if that makes sense.
Original post by sr90
Would you have said the same in 2009?

There's a difference between giving a red card for something that potentially could be one(even though it wasn't) and deny 2 blatant penalties that are inexcusable then card someone for protesting a blatantly wrong decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
On my way back from Manchester, gutted:frown:. Great performance, Ref absolutely robbed us. Not gonna say we would have won without the decision, cos that's a lie, but it changed the outlook of the game. Feel sorry for the players more than anything- didn't deserve that, especially Nani who had a quality game. Head up though boys, look to bounce back on Sunday and keep pushing for the double now.
Original post by doggyfizzel
It more the pathetic way he is desperate to give a opinion of United which is critical. If its a 50/50 he's always go anti United, he always critical of a player performance, he'll always take a pop at SAF if he can. Its not a one off, it just reeks of bitter, and its quite childish tbh. But we all know Roy Keane holds grudges.

He's done the exact same thing with Ireland as well. He's clearly an attention seeker.
Original post by Zürich
Utd fans on twitter going in on Keano big time.

Surely one of your best ever players and leaders is not going to become an outcast for expressing his opinion on a tackle?

Hmmm...ultimately he's a pundit and is well known for being forthright with his opinions and being controversial. He was frequently critical of the team as a player, sometimes with justification, sometimes without.

He will always be careful to not be pro-Untied and, if anything, has actually been the opposite since leaving and is frequently critical of United and SAF. It is this which probably angers some fans, not just this one incident.

Still, he's done far worse over the years. Things that are far more worthy of being condemned than giving an opinion on a sending off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1712
Lopez played really well tbf. It was an unnecessary tackle from Nani given how the ball was running away from goal.
Original post by VQG
Tbf I thought it was a red. It wasn't intentional or as bad as De Jong/Alonso but I can never see the point of someone sticking their boot up like that to control a ball. Just too risky especially in Europe of it being deemed a red. You've got to play the occasion a bit better and be aware that the ref has shown to be card-happy in the past.

Happy with the performance though. Didn't think we were capable of winning this before the start of the season, but that was quite an encouraging tie (certainly tactically - which was an area I thought we fell behind a bit especially last season).

Fair enough, respect United for the performance though, I think you've moved on from the disappointment of last season.

Also Id like to say that vidic was absolute quality till the ten men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
I think that's just the way his mind works. Not so much that hes got anything against Utd, just that he actively tries to burn his bridges everywhere he goes.

What would he be bitter about?

Seems bizarre to me to throw all the wonderful things Keano did for you aside over a few silly sentences in a studio. Ian Wright/Adams/Merson come out every other week saying Arsenal are a joke going nowhere but I wouldnt hold it against them since that's what they believe.
Perhaps, he's a very aggressive person.

His United career didn't exactly end on good terms, he left abruptly and took pops at former team mates right afterwards. He certainly holds a level of animosity towards Fergie.

I don't think it been thrown away, but IMO, he clearly has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and fans aren't going to tolerate him repeatedly having digs. Its certainly not just about this one incident, I said to my friends Keane would be exactly as he was before they even went to the studio. Its not the opinion, its the reason he feels the need to take such a stance every time he is on a United game.
Reply 1715
Original post by Musester
Tough luck but Karma's a b itch.

And what's that supposed to mean?
Original post by bluenose14
He's done the exact same thing with Ireland as well. He's clearly an attention seeker.
Just went to Wiki, I seemed to remember him having a falling out with the internation side and wanted to check.

Top of his Wiki page

ALSO AN ABSOLUTE C*** FOR AGREEING AND ARGUING THE CASE THAT NANI'S TACKLE WAS A RED CARD AGAINST REAL MADRID.
Reply 1717
Its a 50/50 challenge, the fact that Nani had his eyes on the ball represents it as a yellow as it wasn't intentional, giving that a dangerous foul is ridiculous because surely keepers punching the ball out and missing or a failed overhead kick would also be dangerous, but this is football we need to move on.
Original post by rohitbd
Its a 50/50 challenge, the fact that Nani had his eyes on the ball represents it as a yellow as it wasn't intentional, giving that a dangerous foul is ridiculous because surely keepers punching the ball out and missing or a failed overhead kick would also be dangerous, but this is football we need to move on.

That's the thing, refs don't care if its intentional or not, players get sent off for two footed tackles because its deemed dangerous regardless if players intend to break someones leg or not.
Reply 1719
Original post by modini
And what's that supposed to mean?

United fans moaning about a refereeing decision not going their way. I never thought I'd see the day.

Latest