The Student Room Group

Dearest British Friends: No, the Chinese Don't Like Your Food Either

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SleepySheep
USA. Salty microwaved ****.

Hahaha how did you know?

The great food desert, as we call it. There are isolated pockets, like oases in the empty wastes, where one can obtain what we humans call "food". Perhaps you are within striking distance of one?
Original post by IzzySaskia
Well…I know that the Pakistani kids (for instance) at my school can find our food rather bland. And I agree, I do hate black pudding, along with liver and kidney. Bleugh! But then, when non-British people do have our cuisine, sometimes they can be pleasantly surprised. I get the impression people come over, expecting to have roast dinners, full English breakfasts, trifle (I know, stereotypical of me! :biggrin:) and enjoy the food they do have. After all, we gave the world chips (as far as I know…) and that must surely count for sonething!

Sorry if this seems to make no sense-I'm tired!

wtf who even eats that? i've never seen anyone eating any of those things in my life
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The great food desert, as we call it. There are isolated pockets, like oases in the empty wastes, where one can obtain what we humans call "food". Perhaps you are within striking distance of one?

I wish. I have to take a 1 hour bus to get fruit/vegetables/anything other than microwavable mac and cheese.
I wish. I have to take a 1 hour bus to get fruit/vegetables/anything other than microwavable mac and cheese.

Have you had any spray-on cheese there? Like cheese in a can. Quite an unusual flavour.

Where are you in the US? It tends to be easier in the big cities...
Have you had any spray-on cheese there? Like cheese in a can. Quite an unusual flavour.

Where are you in the US? It tends to be easier in the big cities...

Haha nah I couldn't eat that :lol: I've even seen spray-on ham at Walmart.

Chapel Hill, NC. Small town.
Original post by Rybee
Agree, though without the unnecessary bull****, with the article completely.

Britain's favourite dishes are:
Fish and Chips
Chinese
Indian
Pizza
Kebabs

Now, wherever you go to pick up any of that from, it's guaranteed that it wont be served to you by a 'British' person. We hate our own food and we know it.

If it isn't grey and boiled with potatoes on top, it probably isn't British. It's probably the worst cuisine in the world, including American food.

Uninformed nonsense. Speak for yourself, you've clearly never had the opportunity to sample good British cuisine.
Haha nah I couldn't eat that :lol: I've even seen spray-on ham at Walmart.

Raleigh is like a big university town, with foreign food shops, etc? Too far to go? Shame if so.

I cannot even begin to imagine what spray-on ham is like. The thought makes me shudder. Did it feature in any horror movies?
wtf who even eats that? i've never seen anyone eating any of those things in my life

It is eaten. Steak and kidney pie? Liver and bacon? Black pudding with a full English?
Original post by IzzySaskia
It is eaten. Steak and kidney pie? Liver and bacon? Black pudding with a full English?

I refer you to my previous comment
Raleigh is like a big university town, with foreign food shops, etc? Too far to go? Shame if so.

I cannot even begin to imagine what spray-on ham is like. The thought makes me shudder. Did it feature in any horror movies?

Raleigh is miles away. And it's not all that from what i've heard

I know :puke:
Reply 70
They found black pudding disgusting? Pig blood sausage seems tame compared to Chinese delicacies such as scorpions and spiders on sticks, birds nests and duck foetus' :tongue:

I quite like black pudding actually, though I barely ever have it.
Yes. It's ****. Why do you think the national dish is now chile con carne?
Reply 72
Hahaha how did you know?
Because you told me. :wink::shh:
Original post by Mukhabarat
Because you told me. :wink::shh:

Then why did you ask :ninja:
Reply 74
Then why did you ask :ninja:

For confirmation :lol: Anyways, what do you eat in the land of the free and the home of the slave?
Reply 75

How did you end up there?
Original post by lankymanky
How did you end up there?

uni
Reply 77
uni

Why'd you choose to study there of all places?
Reply 78
When I moved here as a kid the first night we had fish and chips and it was the most awful thing I had ever tasted, far too greasy. Where I was brought up the food tended to be rather spicy and not as greasy so I just wasn't used to it. Eventually though the British Cuisine grows on you, and now I can proudly say that I love it. Nothing beats a well cooked Roast Dinner, Haggis, Fish & Chips, Black pudding, Marmite, Fry-ups, Hotpot, Shepard's Pie, Steak and Kidney pie and Yorkshire puddings. It is not the most elaborate cuisine, but its hearty and honest.
Original post by lankymanky
Why'd you choose to study there of all places?

it's only for one semester. it's a cool place, the food just sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest