The Student Room Group

OIA - how to speed up the process..

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It's been 7 months and I'm still on 'review team'' :frown:
Reply 2
It took 18 months for my first case and two years for the second and third.
Reply 3
:frown: whyyy what are they doing!!
Reply 4
Original post by mulberry1
:frown: whyyy what are they doing!!

The OIA is not fit for purpose and that is putting it politely. Just take a look at there figures on results of cases. It should be obvious to anyone that something is very, very wrong.
Reply 5
What did they do to you antiabuse? They seem to have considered all my evidence but they're just being really slow..
Reply 6
The junior adjudicator at the OIA found my first complaint to be fully justified and recommended that the uni changed its procedures. They told the uni to pay me £1500 which I refused. The senior adjudicator changed the junior's recommendations on procedures so that the uni could do nothing.

On my second complaint, which should have been unloosable, they changed my wording so that it was un-winable.

My third complaint they found partly justified and told the uni to apologise, to do something they were already doing and/or pay me £750. The uni have just ignored them.

They will believe what the university says despite all written evidence to the contrary.

I could go on and on.
Reply 7
Hi - has anyone looked into whether the Higher Education Act 2004 allows the OIA bypassing any data protection legislation due to their 'scheme application consent' which is compulsory to sign as otherwise they won't consider the complaint?

I would particularly interested, if anyone has found out if in cases of the University forwarding sensitive personal information, which according to the University's own data protection policy was initially given confidentially can be released to the OIA (i.e. third party) without consent of the person (student) concerned?

Thanks
Even when the student has dine nothing wrong at all, the OIA is a useless organisation. If you are extremely lucky, derisory damages might flow your way. But if you expect justice, don't go to a British university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
what happened to you sohoscribbler? I failed an essay cos my tutor said it was plagiarised- it wasn't- and she had no proof to say that- the university rejected the appeal as they said it was a matter of academic judgement within the department! and it's been nearly 9 months and still on review team :frown: :frown:
guys I got a case handler like 2 months ago but now the tracker says my case has been referred to the approval team. Is that to check its eligibility, or to confirm the case-handlers decision? I'm confused!
Reply 11
Im thinking of sending my case a Christmas card in December and a Birthday card in January !
I read the OIA annual report and it takes about 9 months!
Reply 13
Original post by rosiemcmayhem
I read the OIA annual report and it takes about 9 months!

...to reiterate general advice & out of personal experience - don't waste your time on the OIA, if you can avoid it, get legal advice immediately and start legal action through the Courts - maybe more costly, but at least more thorough ...
Original post by somewhat
...to reiterate general advice & out of personal experience - don't waste your time on the OIA, if you can avoid it, get legal advice immediately and start legal action through the Courts - maybe more costly, but at least more thorough ...

I'd agree, but it is often impossible. There is almost no access to justice for aggrieved students in England and Wales. If you come from a very rich and supportive family, go for legal action. If not, study abroad or don't bother.
Reply 15
Original post by sohoscribbler
There is almost no access to justice for aggrieved students in England and Wales. If you come from a very rich and supportive family, go for legal action.

I should have been more explicit in my previous post and sorry if it came across the wrong way - (not in that lucky position either...) as far as I am currently aware, under certain conditions legal aid may still be available in individual cases and there are a few organisations and charities as well as law centers that still provide legal support.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Beware guys, OIA is a joker, they are closely linked to HE - funded by them.
Reply 17
9 Months you will be really Lucky!! Mine took 2 years and they messed me up.I know it must be disheartening for me to say that.

Best of Luck if your case is still pending.
thanks yes its still pending so any advice or tricks we should be aware of? all help gratefully received - sad to hear they messed you up - its all too horrid anyhow yet alone with a poor outcome!
Reply 19
Dear all

The OIA are not fit for purpose. However, they will continue to be "not fit for purpose" while ever those who have been damaged by them stay isolated. So when are the rest of you going to free yourselves, join us, and get back into the community which you rightly belong, the mainstream student community..and let me tell you, THIS is NOT it!

There are a number of people connected to groups such as this one, who have had their lives significantly changed by arbitrary and unjust decisions, made by people working for universities who are NEVER held to account. That potentially means that they can say and do whatever they like to you, and there is NO mechanism for holding them to account.

While the OIA purports to be that mechanism, they are barred by LAW from even looking at issues such as "Academic Judgement".

So, what IS "Academic Judgement"?

Well, what it is, and what it should be are two entirely different things. What it should be is a decision about matters that ONLY AN ACADEMIC IN THAT FIELD could be expected to know.

How the OIA interpret it is more like: "a decision made by an academic."

See the difference?

Now, what are YOU going to do to change that??? Being in THIS group isn't going to change it! Being in THIS group means that you are consenting to be isolated by those who don't want this knowledge to become common knowledge. This group is manipulated by a pro-university hierarchy.

Here's some common knowledge for you: When Sir Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web, he did so because it gave access to the world's knowledge to the common people. Since that event, people in power everywhere have sought to gain back that advantage given to the common people, the 99%, by various manipulations. Some of their manipulative tactics have been to supply disinformation, (on sites like this), take on false identities, (on sites like this), misrepresent their purpose for being there, (on sites like this), employ divide and conquer techniques, (on sites like this), befriend and infiltrate, (on sites like this...and so on...

Ever feel like you are going round in circles, discussing something that should be getting better, because it should be becoming common knowledge if only everyone involved would speak out? Well, just try speaking out! Seriously...try it, especially on sites like this, which purport to exist in the interest of those who are potentially being damaged. I can assure you that when you do, you will be silenced one way or another...and then you will have to ask yourself this question: "why would a site built for students actively prevent ongoing discussion about dysfunctional processes which are detrimental to students, and which allow the destruction of a student's career, based simply on a decision by an academic, which may, or may not be, made purely out of malevolence, because that decision CANNOT be effectively challenged!" ........Answers to this question below, please:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending