The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5400
Original post by munn
Not really, what I'm saying is you expect a playoff team to make the playoffs and make some noise, not necessarily win the division, particularly in a division that has sent at least two teams to the playoffs for the past 5 years running and is regularly deemed "the toughest division in football". Just look now at the NFC West which seems to be winning that mantle - there wouldn't be much argument right now if I suggested that both the 49ers and Seahawks each win 12+ games next year, but only one of them can win the division. That doesn't necessarily mean people are going to say the other team failed.

Anyway I'm saying what *I* personally expect. *I* think the Steelers are in decline, but I've also been saying that for about 5 years now and year after year they tend to prove me wrong. If they finish with a 10-6 record, get a wildcard berth and win a playoff game for the 6th year in a row nobody is going to be saying "Boy the Ravens sure messed up giving Joe Flacco a big contract".

He's beginning to prove himself as a playoff pro - 95.6 career QB rating in the playoffs - 103.7 over the past 3 years with 17 TDs to just 2 interceptions in 8 games over those 3 years. It's those numbers that win you the big contracts, not regular season numbers

I'm not sure I got my point through clearly. What I was aiming at is that the ravens will not be as consistent as the patriot have with Brady which a lot of the media have suggested they will be. By saying that the steelers are in decline and the Bengals aren't there yet you effectively are saying they are shoe in to win the division, I simply dont think they will. Thats all I'm trying to say.
Bengals got the problem of having a lot of cap space but quite a bit will go to AJ green and Geno Atkins new contracts.
Shawne "Lights out" Merriman has officially retired. Can't say it's a massive loss as he hasn't produced in a long time. As a Chargers fan though, I can't forget the impact he had on our team.
Reply 5403
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Nah, this is totally the Browns' year. (I jest. It is never the Browns' year. Poor Cleveland.)

I oft wonder what it's like supporting a team like the Browns or Bills, I don't think I could abide them being so bad season after season.
Original post by Wattsy
I oft wonder what it's like supporting a team like the Browns or Bills, I don't think I could abide them being so bad season after season.

They really aren't as bad as they seem. Fitz and Jackson are decent QBs and the Browns have a new owner and staff, they also tons of cap room this year. It's just there are more complete teams out there and they are weak in key areas (linemen, coaching staff).
Reply 5405
Original post by Tokyoround
They really aren't as bad as they seem. Fitz and Jackson are decent QBs and the Browns have a new owner and staff, they also tons of cap room this year. It's just there are more complete teams out there and they are weak in key areas (linemen, coaching staff).

They might not actually be bad but results wise they just seem to fail year on year to make progress, I've only got 3 seasons experience really so I could be completely wrong but from what I've seen they're not really growing at any kind of rate that's going to make them contend the playoffs anytime soon.
I think Browns should improve by quite a bit if they can get a decent QB possibly 6-7 wins. Also i see the Chiefs finally doing quite well which admittedly i thought they would do last season but they have a good QB, very good RB, retained their 1 WR they just need another WR.
Reply 5407
Original post by ..DT..
I'm not sure I got my point through clearly. What I was aiming at is that the ravens will not be as consistent as the patriot have with Brady which a lot of the media have suggested they will be. By saying that the steelers are in decline and the Bengals aren't there yet you effectively are saying they are shoe in to win the division, I simply dont think they will. Thats all I'm trying to say.

To be fair the Ravens have been more consistent over the past 5 years than the Patriots (and any other team) - yes the Patriots maybe have a better regular season record, but only through the luxury of playing in the cupcake AFC East, where they're basically given a 4-6 game headstart (depending on which Jets turn up). The Ravens are the best playoff team of the past 5 years (just edging out the Giants whose 2007 season is just outside that period) - the Steelers are the only team to have made the Superbowl twice in that time (1-1), but have failed to make the playoffs twice in that span and lost their Wild Card game in the other season.

The Ravens have made the playoffs in every season under Joe Flacco, and have won at least 1 game there in every season under him. Maybe the first couple of years you could say they rode defense, but with the 17th ranked defense this year it's clear they're not the same force they were, and Flacco and the offense were a more important factor - particularly in the post-season.
Reply 5408
Original post by munn
To be fair the Ravens have been more consistent over the past 5 years than the Patriots (and any other team) - yes the Patriots maybe have a better regular season record, but only through the luxury of playing in the cupcake AFC East, where they're basically given a 4-6 game headstart (depending on which Jets turn up). The Ravens are the best playoff team of the past 5 years (just edging out the Giants whose 2007 season is just outside that period) - the Steelers are the only team to have made the Superbowl twice in that time (1-1), but have failed to make the playoffs twice in that span and lost their Wild Card game in the other season.

The Ravens have made the playoffs in every season under Joe Flacco, and have won at least 1 game there in every season under him. Maybe the first couple of years you could say they rode defense, but with the 17th ranked defense this year it's clear they're not the same force they were, and Flacco and the offense were a more important factor - particularly in the post-season.

I'd be quite right in saying they rode the defence because every season before this they have made the playoffs under flacco with a team conceding top 5 fewest points per game. Now this season they only dropped to 12th but with Lewis gone, Reed getting past it I can see that sticking around there for a while now. I mean with the Bengals having the same record as them this season and the steelers only being 2 games back with serious injury problems I can see it being a battle this coming season (obviously influenced by who drafts well, and works free-agency well). Its all well and good having an amazing post season QB but you have to get there first, and that was my only point about the patriots. You know they'll be there.

Original post by Malevolent
I think Browns should improve by quite a bit if they can get a decent QB possibly 6-7 wins. Also i see the Chiefs finally doing quite well which admittedly i thought they would do last season but they have a good QB, very good RB, retained their 1 WR they just need another WR.

I wouldn't put it past the chiefs to bounce back well. They have the building blocks, just need to cement things together.
(edited 11 years ago)
Unless our Welker doesn't come back :cry:
Reply 5410
I'd like to see Amendola in NE and not get hurt.
Not gonna happen haha. Amendola picks up a pen and gets hurt. Glass I Dowling laughs at this and gets hurt. Gronkowski and Hernandez follow suit and then get hurt as well.
Shawne "Lights out" Merriman has officially retired. Can't say it's a massive loss as he hasn't produced in a long time. As a Chargers fan though, I can't forget the impact he had on our team.

Yeah, he did a great job of propelling you to not winning a Super Bowl yet again :tongue:
Original post by Hedgeman49
Yeah, he did a great job of propelling you to not winning a Super Bowl yet again :tongue:

Ouch.

Tbh, i've pretty much given up on the Chargers winning a Superbowl.
Ouch.

Shame i really like Rivers. Get him a decent O-line please!
Who's as excited for Free Agency as I am? :excited:
Original post by Malevolent
Who's as excited for Free Agency as I am? :excited:

meeeeeeeeee!
Hope we make some good ones!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5418
Ouch.

Same :frown:

Sad to see that lights out has retired, he just seem to deteriorated so quick. I guess this means that the giants did win in the Manning trade :fuhrer:
Seahawks aquire Percy Harvin subject to medical. Looks like they have sent their first round pick as well as others in return for Harvin who apparently has landed a monster contract.