The Student Room Group

Will I recieve extra funding?

Hi
I am going to be starting a medicine degree next year, and in my last 3 years, my term dates are longer.
I will be required to study a total of 45 weeks in the year (as opposed to the normal 30 weeks), and I was wondering if student finance gives any additional financial support for studying during this time?

Also, if I do not apply for student finance this year, is it possible for me to apply next year?
Hi Im,

Yes you can apply for finance next year regardless of whether you apply for finance this year.

Based on the information you've provided you will be entitled to receive an extra amount in your loan called 'long course long' as your course lasts longer than the standard number of weeks.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Im,

Yes you can apply for finance next year regardless of whether you apply for finance this year.

Based on the information you've provided you will be entitled to receive an extra amount in your loan called 'long course long' as your course lasts longer than the standard number of weeks.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee

Thank you for that information!
For this long course loan, do you know how much extra it is possible to recieve?
Is there any extra allowance for living in London?
Does this depend at all on household income?
Hi again,

Students living and studying in London automatically qualify for a higher rate of Loan.

Students who live away from home and study in London will receive an extra £106 of loans for each week that exceeds 30 weeks. Please note that on only students who have been successfully income assessed will be entitled to the long courses loan.

Thanks,
Mark-Lee :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending