The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Starting Strength?

I've basically signed up to a gym and I'm trying to get some muscle mass gains. Been searching for so long for good plans to follow and I always come across someone saying use SS. I hear it's more for beginners trying to gain strength and people go on to other plans after months of it. Not sure if I could classify myself as a beginner, because I'm not the weakest person and do have a bit of muscle on me.

Basically, anyone tried it? How was it? Any real noticeable gains? Should I start from it? Your view on it?

Also, I was planning to go with an Upper/Lower split.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

I did ss and then moved to an upper/lower split. I advise you to do the same, ss is a very good routine to learn the techniques and gain a bit of strength, after a few months you can move to an upper lower split :smile:
Reply 2
It's a decent plan, give it a shot but if it doesn't work for you then remember it's not the be all and end all.
Reply 3
Thanks guys.

Original post by areebmazhar
I did ss and then moved to an upper/lower split. I advise you to do the same, ss is a very good routine to learn the techniques and gain a bit of strength, after a few months you can move to an upper lower split :smile:

When you did SS did you notice much size gains visually? Also how long till you moved on to upper/lower?

Original post by MashB
Thanks guys.

When you did SS did you notice much size gains visually? Also how long till you moved on to upper/lower?

I've been on a calorie deficit for ages so even on a split I wouldn't have gained much muscle. If you only care about aesthetics I would still do ss at least for a month just to get the compound lifts nailed, as these are still vital for gaining size.

I did ss for about 4 months, and I've been on an upper/lower split for about 2.5 months now.
Reply 5
Decent for learning compounds, that's about it. Better starting off with something like Jason Db's 5x5 on bodybuilding.com imo, ss's volume is dire.
SS has far too little volume and work overall to maximize hypertrophy. Take a look into icecreamfitness' 5x5 novice routine for something much better for bodybuilding. I haven't seen a single really impressive body transformation from SS.
(edited 11 years ago)
TBH at this stage it doesn't matter what program you do, just find one and stick to it.
Reply 8
Original post by MashB

Your mindset will change from how you think now, if you start training and do the program. This means nothing if you don't. After just 5, 6 consecutive sessions of SS (assuming you go ahead with it), questions like these should seem irrelevant and a waste of your time. Focus will inevitably shift on how much stronger you get workout-to-workout, because that's what stands out most when you begin strength training at a novice level. Of course you get bigger on SS, but you won't be preoccupied with it for long once you realise that training is all you can do to reach the end goal faster. So you train.
Original post by HenryD
It's a decent plan, give it a shot but if it doesn't work for you then remember it's not the be all and end all.

Pretty much this. There's a lot of controversy about whether it's good for beginners interested only in "getting bigger".. some people seem to get quite big on it, while others claim to come off it with their legs and back out of proportion to their chest, shoulders and arms. Most people seem to get stronger, but some even fail to manage that to any significant degree, but who knows if they just ****ed up the routine?

Whatever routine you pick, make sure you're squatting deep enough with good form, and that you're not risking your back when you deadlift. And if you incorporate any o-lifts (like cleans), for the love of the light make sure you learn them properly. They are not easy techniques to perfect. Basically, make sure your form is good. If it isn't, your progress will be equally ****ty - I guarantee.

What are your lifts (squat, bench, press and deadlift)? Not much point in SS if they're already fairly decent. Beginner doesn't necessarily mean "new to the gym" or "small", but "weak" (relatively speaking).
[video="youtube;feY6vi6ORXo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo[/video]
It's fine and in time will get you strong.

A word of caution however. There is literally hundreds of good strength programmes around. What will decide your progress is how much you 'invest' in one of them. If you're focused on form and train at a good intensity, regularly, you will progress.

Don't get me wrong, rep and set schemes are important, but nowhere near as important as just picking one and working damn hard at it.
Reply 12
Original post by alex_tait
SS has far too little volume and work overall to maximize hypertrophy. Take a look into icecreamfitness' 5x5 novice routine for something much better for bodybuilding. I haven't seen a single really impressive body transformation from SS.

Mine. I got absolutely jacked.
Original post by Mr. Fox

sure
Reply 14
sure

He was pretty damn jacked tbf.
Original post by rlw31
He was pretty damn jacked tbf.

Then good for him but that's just one guy against the majority who end up with reverse johnny bravo bodies. There are legit reasons for this:

1) no direct arm work.
2) not enough volume on the upper body presses to maximize hypertrophy.
3) no shoulder isolation.
4) no rows/pulldowns which need to be done 3x a week to maximize back development. 1x5 deadlifts and some power cleans are not enough.
Reply 16
Original post by MashB
I've basically signed up to a gym and I'm trying to get some muscle mass gains. Been searching for so long for good plans to follow and I always come across someone saying use SS. I hear it's more for beginners trying to gain strength and people go on to other plans after months of it. Not sure if I could classify myself as a beginner, because I'm not the weakest person and do have a bit of muscle on me.

Basically, anyone tried it? How was it? Any real noticeable gains? Should I start from it? Your view on it?

Also, I was planning to go with an Upper/Lower split.

It's crap lol. Avoid.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr. Fox

Do you have before and after pics, by any chance?
Then good for him but that's just one guy against the majority who end up with reverse johnny bravo bodies. There are legit reasons for this:

1) no direct arm work.
2) not enough volume on the upper body presses to maximize hypertrophy.
3) no shoulder isolation.
4) no rows/pulldowns which need to be done 3x a week to maximize back development. 1x5 deadlifts and some power cleans are not enough.

Dips and chins are usually added to SS after a few weeks. This increases the work on arms, shoulders and back and is also of course assistance for bench and press. AFAIK it isn't normal to stick with only the five core exercises for very long.. I can't remember exactly what Rippetoe says, but arm isolations are usually added on the final work out of each week too.

So a short time into "SS", the routine usually looks something like:

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dip 2x12
(Curl 2x10)
(Tricep extension 2x10)
abs

B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power clean 5x3
Chin 3x12
(Curl 2x10)
(Tricep extension 2x10)
abs

Where the curls and tricep extensions are done only every third workout, prior to the 2-day rest period

Still, it's true that a lot of people end up with legs and backs way out of proportion to the allegedly more desirably muscle groups like chest, shoulders and arms. It's definitely not a bad routine, but that isn't to say it's the best. What are your thoughts on the more "complete" SS that I've outlined?
Original post by Implication
Dips and chins are usually added to SS after a few weeks. This increases the work on arms, shoulders and back and is also of course assistance for bench and press. AFAIK it isn't normal to stick with only the five core exercises for very long.. I can't remember exactly what Rippetoe says, but arm isolations are usually added on the final work out of each week too.

So a short time into "SS", the routine usually looks something like:

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dip 2x12
(Curl 2x10)
(Tricep extension 2x10)
abs

B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power clean 5x3
Chin 3x12
(Curl 2x10)
(Tricep extension 2x10)
abs

Where the curls and tricep extensions are done only every third workout, prior to the 2-day rest period

Still, it's true that a lot of people end up with legs and backs way out of proportion to the allegedly more desirably muscle groups like chest, shoulders and arms. It's definitely not a bad routine, but that isn't to say it's the best. What are your thoughts on the more "complete" SS that I've outlined?

Curls and triceps exercises need to be done in every workout otherwise hypertrophy won't be maximized. If they're only stimulated enough once a week there will be so much dead time where the arms aren't growing. Meanwhile protein synthesis in the legs will be constantly elevated from squatting 3x a week. There should be no problem doing this providing the volume is kept under control and you stay away from failure.

If your only interest is in muscle gain then I would swap the power cleans for some type of row. I would also increase the volume of the upper body pressing to 5x5 because 3x5 really isn't enough.

Basically just do icecreamfitness' routine.

Quick Reply