The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Applicants 2013

Hey, was just wondering who else has applied, for which degree programme, what everyone is studying at the minute and predicted grades :smile:

Be nice to see what offers people are getting and when as well.

So...
I'm applying for Maths with Business studies and I currently study the IB with (predicted grades in brackets)

HL-
Maths (6)
Chemistry (6)
Geography (7)

SL-
Biology (6)
French B (5)
English A1 (6)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applied for Maths and Physics for deferred 2014 entry, currently studying A levels, predicted A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music Tech (also General Studies but it doesn't count :P) I had 6 As last year in my AS levels for all of the above as well as Geography and got 11.5 A*s at GCSE and an A in FSMQ additional maths.

My offer is A*AA including A* in Maths or Further Maths and A in Physics.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hello, I have applied for Masters in Maths, I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and am predicted A*A*A*A*.
Reply 3
Hey there,

I've applied for Maths with Economics and I am studying Maths, Further Maths, also doing an extra AS in Maths, Physics and Economics.
I have been predicted straight A*s and an A.

My offer is A* in Maths, A* or A in Further Maths corresponding to my grade in STEP ( need a grade 1 or 2) and an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi! :biggrin: I applied for the 4 year straight maths course.

I'm studying Maths, Further Maths (since the start of year 13) and Physics. I am predicted A*A*A in Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively.

I got the standard offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gravesy
Hey, was just wondering who else has applied, for which degree programme, what everyone is studying at the minute and predicted grades :smile:

Be nice to see what offers people are getting and when as well.

So...
I'm applying for Maths with Business studies and I currently study the IB with (predicted grades in brackets)

HL-
Maths (6)
Chemistry (6)
Geography (7)

SL-
Biology (6)
French B (5)
English A1 (6)

6 in Math? You might struggle with math here unless you work hard.
Original post by gravesy
x

Original post by crunchychips
6 in Math? You might struggle with math here unless you work hard.

You only need a 6 in HL Maths to get in, what would be the problem? :smile:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/depta2z/maths/g1nc/
International Baccalaureate: 39 points overall including 6 in Higher Level Mathematics and 6,6 in two other Higher Level subjects, plus grade 2 in STEP/Distinction in a Mathematics AEA .
Original post by dragonrabbit
You only need a 6 in HL Maths to get in, what would be the problem? :smile:

That is true, but Warwick math is generally seen as only being second to Cambridge math. So while you might get in, you could still struggle because most of Math from high school is assumed knowledge (I did A levels, but I've gone over the IB syllabus and I would definitely suggest that you need a 7).

Also, remember that you need to get the STEP part of your offer. So while you might get a 6, if you cannot get a 7, then you will have to work even harder to get the required grade for STEP.
That is true, but Warwick math is generally seen as only being second to Cambridge math. So while you might get in, you could still struggle because most of Math from high school is assumed knowledge (I did A levels, but I've gone over the IB syllabus and I would definitely suggest that you need a 7).

Also, remember that you need to get the STEP part of your offer. So while you might get a 6, if you cannot get a 7, then you will have to work even harder to get the required grade for STEP.

I think it's irrelevant, to an extent to what you feel, if you don't mind me saying :tongue: The Warwick admission staff will know what is required for their course ^^ They've set a horribly hard offer for A levels (justly) they won't have made it any easier for IB applicants.
Original post by dragonrabbit
I think it's irrelevant, to an extent to what you feel, if you don't mind me saying :tongue: The Warwick admission staff will know what is required for their course ^^ They've set a horribly hard offer for A levels (justly) they won't have made it any easier for IB applicants.

I study at Warwick, so I think I'm qualified to give my opinion :P

I'm not saying you won't manage, I'm saying you might find it difficult. If you're content with a non-first degree, then sure, go ahead. I'm saying that you'll find it easier with a 7. Also, you might find it difficult to meet the STEP part of the offer.
Reply 10
I study at Warwick, so I think I'm qualified to give my opinion :P

I'm not saying you won't manage, I'm saying you might find it difficult. If you're content with a non-first degree, then sure, go ahead. I'm saying that you'll find it easier with a 7. Also, you might find it difficult to meet the STEP part of the offer.

Well I got my offer of 6,6,6 HL with 39 overall and 2 in step or 37 overall with 1 in step
I'm not afraid of hard work which is why I applied to Warwick in the first place, and I obviously aim to get a 7 that's just what I was predicted at the time.
Reply 11
I applied for the 4-year straight maths course. I finished my A-levels last year with A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and an A in Chemistry (as well as grade 5 in AP Calculus back in 2010). Now I just have to deal with STEP!
Reply 12
Hello! I have applied for Pure Maths at Warwick and I want to know which STEP is best to take, in matter of easiness. Some advice will be welcome :smile:
Original post by mariucell
Hello! I have applied for Pure Maths at Warwick and I want to know which STEP is best to take, in matter of easiness. Some advice will be welcome :smile:

I sat STEP I and II, would definitely say I was easier :smile: you'd be a fool not to sit I :P
Reply 14
I'm doing MMORSE which is mainly maths.

Last year I got A* maths, A in history and politics and a B in economics.

This year I'm predicted straight A* in further maths, politics and economics. I think I'm more likely to get 2A* 2As but may be a B in economics (just did **** in the exam).

Can't wait to be at Warwick!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
I'm doing the four year straight maths course, hopefully with a few physics modules along the way :smile: How is everyone feeling about STEP/AEA? Just found out they decided to timetable STEP 1 and AEA at the same time for some reason...
Original post by dj89
I'm doing the four year straight maths course, hopefully with a few physics modules along the way :smile: How is everyone feeling about STEP/AEA? Just found out they decided to timetable STEP 1 and AEA at the same time for some reason...

Stupid idea.

A few years ago STEP 1 and 3 were on at the same time because you wouldn't do both (but you could in separate years).
Reply 17
Original post by caveman123
Stupid idea.

A few years ago STEP 1 and 3 were on at the same time because you wouldn't do both (but you could in separate years).

Well I'm going to enter for both, so will have to sit one in isolation :frown: Considering other universities as well (e.g. UCL) include both AEA and STEP in their maths offers, it seems like pretty bad organisation between exam boards
I'm taking STEP I and AEA, but do you think it's worth considering taking STEP II, or am I very unlikely to do better in STEP II than STEP I or AEA? Also, when can we be entered for these exams and how much does AEA cost?
I got the standard offer too

Studying Maths, Further maths and chemistry at A level with A*A*A predicted

Who else is doing STEP and AEA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending