The Student Room Group

Lord Sugar on The Apprentice: 'I only do it for the PR and I don't give a ****'

Interesting court case news - Apprentice winner Stella English is suing Alan Sugar for constructive dismissal. She says Sugar told her 'I only do it for the PR and I don't give a ****' when she complained of being sidelined.

It's always been clear that The Apprentice is a bit of a fairy tale, but Sugar has never made it plainer. He appears to hold the winner of the show in complete contempt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289036/Apprentice-winner-Stella-English-told-job-boss-day-100-000-role.html

It would be sensible of the BBC to stop giving free PR to this mogul now and close the show, as he clearly has no real interest in it other than for the free advertising. The show hoodwinks the audience as it does repeatedly suggest that the apprentice will be a genuine hire and receive personal commitment and training from him - the voiceovers at the start of each episode confirm that.

It also gives a false view of British industry, the backstabbing and ruthlessness it encourages between participants are not general in the workplace.

Scroll to see replies

Remember though newspapers can twist a situation to make it worse than it seems - and some tend to be biased towards certain people and affiliations.
Reply 2
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Interesting court case news - Apprentice winner Stella English is suing Alan Sugar for constructive dismissal. She says Sugar told her 'I only do it for the PR and I don't give a ****' when she complained of being sidelined.

It's always been clear that The Apprentice is a bit of a fairy tale, but Sugar has never made it plainer. He appears to hold the winner of the show in complete contempt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289036/Apprentice-winner-Stella-English-told-job-boss-day-100-000-role.html

It would be sensible of the BBC to stop giving free PR to this mogul now and close the show, as he clearly has no real interest in it other than for the free advertising. The show hoodwinks the audience as it does repeatedly suggest that the apprentice will be a genuine hire and receive personal commitment and training from him - the voiceovers at the start of each episode confirm that.

It also gives a false view of British industry, the backstabbing and ruthlessness it encourages between participants are not general in the workplace.

I see this didn't last :wink:
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Remember though newspapers can twist a situation to make it worse than it seems - and some tend to be biased towards certain people and affiliations.

The Mail has an anti-BBC bias but they are also unlikely to be enemies of Lord Sugar - he's really put himself up for analysis on this one. I like and admire the BBC, but I do think they are just giving room to Sugar's little games too much with this show and this rather proves it.
Original post by tjf8
I see this didn't last :wink:

I know! I looked at it 10 mins ago and it just overwhelmed me I'm afraid. I must be susceptible.
Reply 5
There is also an article about this in The Times, emphasizing the same points
Original post by silver79
There is also an article about this in The Times, emphasizing the same points

Behind the paywall? I much prefer the Times, but it's so hard to cite it as a web source these days.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
What do you think he was doing it for? The good of humanity?

The whole thing is a massive publicly funded PR stunt.
Reply 8
No, it isn't behind the pay wall. There is also an article with lord sugar responding; "my apprentice was suspicious and untrusting"
Original post by MacDaddi
What do you think he was doing it for? The good of humanity?

The whole thing is a massive publicly funded PR stunt.

Exactly, there are much better ways to hire workers. The business is the show itself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know! I looked at it 10 mins ago and it just overwhelmed me I'm afraid. I must be susceptible.

I've found that I've only started looking at it after I'd read that thread. I can now feel myself getting inexorably drawn in by the 'femail' side panel.

Lord Sugar's defence tactic of trying to portray her as some sort of paranoid nutter is particularly unsavoury ("It was clear to me now that she thought that everyone was out to trick her ... She thought during the whole process that she was being lied to and that the other candidate has been chosen as the winner."). The backstabbing and ruthlessness that you mention seems to be the main attraction of the program though, so I can imagine that people will overlook this.
Of course he does it for the PR. If he wasn't doing the Apprentice now we wouldn't know who is (We'd have forgotten). That's not a bad thing though, all celebs do it for the PR. Heck, even Stella English was doing it for the PR.

The way he describes Stella wouldn't surprise me. I know a lot of people who are like that. They worry about a lot of things and seek reassurance a lot. I imagine that being given a £100k a year job, you are the one who makes a lot of decisions- you aren't given jobs to do as she was expecting.

The whole idea is a bit unproductive- She has no experience of Sugar's company or industry and she expects to get a top paying job within the sector. That's like me getting a 'Risk Analyst Manager' job at Easyjet. I don't know how airlines operate, I don't have experience so I can't expect to get that job.

On the other hand, two articles have come out recently suggesting that Sugar is hot headed and 'verbal' (The one about him quitting YouView). But who can blame him, you can't run a huge company by being Mr Nice.

I don't even know why she went on the Apprentice. She had a great banking job in the City and she climbed from the bottom. Why not stick in the banking sector in London where the salary potential is much higher than a £100k job doing something you have no experience in.
I admire him for admitting to it. To be honest, that's all successful people do these shows for. Take Simon Cowell and the X Factor, for example.
Reply 13
The whole point of The Apprentice is to generate money for him by entertaining the public. And I'll admit, it's damn entertaining, and I usually love watching it.

He's never given two ****s about who he hires. In fact, I imagine it's a case of him choosing someone who'll give him the least trouble when they get in... i.e. someone who will quitely earn the money and bother him the least. As long as the show keeps pumping him money, who cares?
Original post by Runninground
Of course he does it for the PR. If he wasn't doing the Apprentice now we wouldn't know who is (We'd have forgotten). That's not a bad thing though, all celebs do it for the PR. Heck, even Stella English was doing it for the PR.

The way he describes Stella wouldn't surprise me. I know a lot of people who are like that. They worry about a lot of things and seek reassurance a lot. I imagine that being given a £100k a year job, you are the one who makes a lot of decisions- you aren't given jobs to do as she was expecting.

The whole idea is a bit unproductive- She has no experience of Sugar's company or industry and she expects to get a top paying job within the sector. That's like me getting a 'Risk Analyst Manager' job at Easyjet. I don't know how airlines operate, I don't have experience so I can't expect to get that job.

On the other hand, two articles have come out recently suggesting that Sugar is hot headed and 'verbal' (The one about him quitting YouView). But who can blame him, you can't run a huge company by being Mr Nice.

I don't even know why she went on the Apprentice. She had a great banking job in the City and she climbed from the bottom. Why not stick in the banking sector in London where the salary potential is much higher than a £100k job doing something you have no experience in.

I was puzzled about her choice of going on the show, perhaps she genuinely thought it was a big step up - Sugar is very influential - so maybe in a way she was another one "fooled" by the programme.

I don't think Apprentice is quite the same as other talent-spotting shows, there's a subtext that it is a serious thing, that the winner will get a year of Sugartime and the hands-on involvement of M'Lud. The fact that it's all humbug is wrong on the level that the BBC shouldn't constantly trail it as having that kind of seriousness, even if on one level we all "know" it's packaged nonsense.

I also wonder about Dragon's Den on the same kind of level, it would be interesting if Channel 4 or someone did an exposé of that show as well.
Reply 15
gee really? I had no idea...
Why should the BBC stop the show because it gives a rich person good PR? Surely all the BBC should be concerned with is whether it shows entertaining programmes.
Original post by PythianLegume
Why should the BBC stop the show because it gives a rich person good PR? Surely all the BBC should be concerned with is whether it shows entertaining programmes.

Hmmm. Thinks. :confused: Because the whole thing is a fake, yet they continue to project it as something real?
Reply 18
It'll be interesting to see what (if) other contestants come out and say now. These things usually snowball, one person comes out saying they're unhappy and then everyone else comes out sharing their horror stories too...
Original post by Xotol
The whole point of The Apprentice is to generate money for him by entertaining the public. And I'll admit, it's damn entertaining, and I usually love watching it.

He's never given two ****s about who he hires. In fact, I imagine it's a case of him choosing someone who'll give him the least trouble when they get in... i.e. someone who will quitely earn the money and bother him the least. As long as the show keeps pumping him money, who cares?

I believe there have been rumblings from past winners about their disappointment with the lack of attention from Lord S post-victory, but I don't recall there being evidence before of him blatantly making it clear that he agrees with your description? Could be wrong, I don't follow everything he says.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending