The Student Room Group

Lord Sugar on The Apprentice: 'I only do it for the PR and I don't give a ****'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I also wonder about Dragon's Den on the same kind of level, it would be interesting if Channel 4 or someone did an exposé of that show as well.

Probably. But they have that 'where are they now?' show, don't they? The whole thing still looks kind of fake, but it could at least perpetuate the notion that the whole thing is worthwhile in the end. Film a couple of meetings between the Dragon and the business owner and then say that they've earned bucketloads of money. And, with luck, you'll get a hit like the Reggae Reggae Sauce.
Reply 21
Hmmm. Thinks. :confused: Because the whole thing is a fake, yet they continue to project it as something real?

same with top gear

but hey, the masses still lap up to it in their millions despite how obviously fake the show is, so its win-win for the beeb
Original post by Jack93o
same with top gear

but hey, the masses still lap up to it in their millions despite how obviously fake the show is, so its win-win for the beeb

Yeah, there's still a difference though, Top Gear is visibly comic in many places, they don't purport to be a documentary all of the time, at least, not when they're visibly not being serious, anyway. :rolleyes: The Apprentice does purport to be serious, as I said, the introductory voiceovers repeatedly assure the audience that it's all for real. Unfortunately, it isn't.

It's really more like those competitions that proved to be fixed, the famous one was Blue Peter, when they asked for the kids to name the new dog (or was it a cat?) and then ignored the winning name. It's more like that.
It's obvious by the way the contestants over-emphasise their personalitites that they care more about getting a job in TV rather than business. Fair play on this woman for challenging him.
I believe there have been rumblings from past winners about their disappointment with the lack of attention from Lord S post-victory, but I don't recall there being evidence before of him blatantly making it clear that he agrees with your description? Could be wrong, I don't follow everything he says.

He doesn't do the show for money, he does it for something to do. Believe it or not this is a problem many rich people have, they get bored, they need a goal. He's worth almost £1bn. Which is why you get people like Branson spending their time breaking world records, or people like Zuckerberg and Jobs who become obsessed with their product.

His fees for doing the show go to charity, he has no need for the money, it's a good deal for the BBC. The people who go on his show are usually numpties anyway. Did they honestly think, given that there's a show every year, he has loads of former apprentice winners running around in his company.
Original post by 122025278

His fees for doing the show go to charity, he has no need for the money, it's a good deal for the BBC. The people who go on his show are usually numpties anyway. Did they honestly think, given that there's a show every year, he has loads of former apprentice winners running around in his company.

Have you noticed that one of the main points in the show is that they will get a job for one year?
I was puzzled about her choice of going on the show, perhaps she genuinely thought it was a big step up - Sugar is very influential - so maybe in a way she was another one "fooled" by the programme.

I don't think Apprentice is quite the same as other talent-spotting shows, there's a subtext that it is a serious thing, that the winner will get a year of Sugartime and the hands-on involvement of M'Lud. The fact that it's all humbug is wrong on the level that the BBC shouldn't constantly trail it as having that kind of seriousness, even if on one level we all "know" it's packaged nonsense.

I also wonder about Dragon's Den on the same kind of level, it would be interesting if Channel 4 or someone did an exposé of that show as well.

She probably did it for the 'fame'. She was in a high profile job behind closed doors. Maybe she wasn't getting enough recognition for it, so she applied for the show so she could have people say 'wow you're amazing' or whatever to her in the street. That links to what Sugar was saying about he being a worrier (in terms of worrying!).

Lots of the deals on Dragons Den fall though, after the show they do 'Due Diligence' which is when the Dragons (well, their management team) check the accounts and make sure what was said was true. Then the entrepreneur gets the money and meets with the Dragons management team every 4 months or so. It's rare that the dragons are personally involved in the companies they invest in, unless of course it ends up successful like Levi Roots- Peter Jones gets involved so he gets some PR out of it.

After all, these shows are 'entertainment'. If they were like real life they wouldn't be entertainment :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Yeah, there's still a difference though, Top Gear is visibly comic in many places, they don't purport to be a documentary all of the time, at least, not when they're visibly not being serious, anyway. :rolleyes: The Apprentice does purport to be serious, as I said, the introductory voiceovers repeatedly assure the audience that it's all for real. Unfortunately, it isn't.

It's really more like those competitions that proved to be fixed, the famous one was Blue Peter, when they asked for the kids to name the new dog (or was it a cat?) and then ignored the winning name. It's more like that.

I'm not saying how top gear is made out to be a doumentary, it plainly isn't.

I'm talking more about the 'banter' between the three guys. Its obviously not genuine, they scripted it all out, hammond was always going to use that chainsaw he had with him to cut off clarkson's car roof, clarkson agreed to look pissed, hammond went to sleep knowing his car would be ****ed, he would then wake up completely shellshocked as to why his co-presenter would repeat the same night-time shenaigans for the 10th time, etc etc etc yeah yeah one of the lads, its all banter innit, blah blah blah package it all up with cars, add a bit of explosion, juice it up with celebrity cameos, get half the nation hooked on sunday evening
Have you noticed that one of the main points in the show is that they will get a job for one year?

...what do you mean?
Original post by Jack93o
I'm not saying how top gear is made out to be a doumentary, it plainly isn't.

I'm talking more about the 'banter' between the three guys. Its obviously not genuine, they scripted it all out, hammond was always going to use that chainsaw he had with him to cut off clarkson's car roof, clarkson agreed to look pissed, hammond went to sleep knowing his car would be ****ed, he would then wake up completely shellshocked as to why his co-presenter would repeat the same night-time shenaigans for the 10th time, etc etc etc yeah yeah one of the lads, its all banter innit, blah blah blah package it all up with cars, add a bit of explosion, juice it up with celebrity cameos, get half the nation hooked on sunday evening

Part of the fun in TG is when you look at a particular ridiculous stunt/happening and you just think 'God, that bit is soooo made up' - I think they actually direct the show to make it look more made up than it actually is. I mean bits of it that were just impromptu they then try to dress up as an artifice. It's kind of a double-double-double-bluff. You the viewer are being tricked into thinking that your own brain power solved their little pretence, whilst all the time, they planned you would think that.
Reply 30

To be fair, the prize changed from a year earning 100k to a reward of 250k to open a business with Sugar as a partner a couple of years. Although, I'm dubious about him being a 'partner', but it'd be interesting to see whether the winners of this are different to the previous ones.
Reply 31
Original post by Jack93o
same with top gear

Top Gear don't really try to hide the fact that most of it is fake, but it is good to watch.
Reply 32
Original post by james22
Top Gear don't really try to hide the fact that most of it is fake, but it is good to watch.

yeah like I said before, I meant the 'banter' being fake, the whole pretend car documentary thing is obviously out there in the open, everyone knows you don't drive a car through a shopping mall as a consumer test
Reply 33
Crying out for a TSR Poll.
Is is because...

- he's a perfiderous Jew, I'm not an anti-semite and neither was hitler, you should read mein kampf.
- everything on teh bbc is lies, wake up SHEEPle!
- typical LIEbor supporter, bring back maggie.
- he never got 16 A* gcse's.
- Frankly this is what happens when you let people who don't deserve it, non well connected oxbridge graduates, have money, yah?
Reply 34
TA was always more style than substance
Original post by Joinedup
Crying out for a TSR Poll.
Is is because...

- he's a perfiderous Jew, I'm not an anti-semite and neither was hitler, you should read mein kampf.
- everything on teh bbc is lies, wake up SHEEPle!
- typical LIEbor supporter, bring back maggie.
- he never got 16 A* gcse's.
- Frankly this is what happens when you let people who don't deserve it, non well connected oxbridge graduates, have money, yah?

All very solid points, well argued from first principles.
Original post by samleigh
It'll be interesting to see what (if) other contestants come out and say now. These things usually snowball, one person comes out saying they're unhappy and then everyone else comes out sharing their horror stories too...

Jimmy Savile.
Reply 37
Original post by Sagacious
Jimmy Savile.

Exactly :rolleyes:
Original post by Xotol
To be fair, the prize changed from a year earning 100k to a reward of 250k to open a business with Sugar as a partner a couple of years. Although, I'm dubious about him being a 'partner', but it'd be interesting to see whether the winners of this are different to the previous ones.

I know Tom released a curved nail file last year, not sure how successful it was but quite a few retailers started selling it. Although Tom had already invented and patented his S shaped nail file he had just not got round to selling it (he seemed pretty bad at business on the show,) I think Alan Sugar saw potential in the file and decided to 'hire' Tom just on the grounds the nail file could make money, Tom certainly didn't deserve to win (he lost almost every task) and didn't even pitch the file for his business idea (he pitched a chair to help back pain) but somehow the business has turned into a business selling nail files. It really wouldn't surprise me if Alan Sugar had decided his winner weeks in advance once he'd heard about the file and then just edited the show to make Tom look more competent at business than he actually was.
Original post by justanotherposter
I know Tom released a curved nail file last year, not sure how successful it was but quite a few retailers started selling it. Although Tom had already invented and patented his S shaped nail file he had just not got round to selling it (he seemed pretty bad at business on the show,) I think Alan Sugar saw potential in the file and decided to 'hire' Tom just on the grounds the nail file could make money, Tom certainly didn't deserve to win (he lost almost every task) and didn't even pitch the file for his business idea (he pitched a chair to help back pain) but somehow the business has turned into a business selling nail files. It really wouldn't surprise me if Alan Sugar had decided his winner weeks in advance once he'd heard about the file and then just edited the show to make Tom look more competent at business than he actually was.

It sounds such a stretch that Lord S would truly be interested in making some money from a nail file company. Shades of Dragon's Den, where you sometimes really wonder if Theo, James or Deborah are in real life truly grabbed by the idea of having business partners who repair teddies, sell a new type of toilet for yachts or fix people's blonde roots with a new wonder formula. (The businesses just mentioned were selected from a list of fantasy products for representative purposes and in no way should be taken as real products or services offered by DD contestants. Please consult your GP if troubled by any of this.)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending