The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rooney would only go abroad to PSG. English players are too expensive to justify their price so even a class player like Rooney would be valued too highly by United to be afforded by normal clubs. How much would Utd value him at £50m? Can easily find similar quality foreigners for £30m.

Chelsea might be a good shout though. They need a striker and they can afford him. Not sure if Utd have any intention of selling Rooney though. He was dropped yday as a tactical switch vs Xabi Alonso.
Original post by Zürich
Rooney would only go abroad to PSG. English players are too expensive to justify their price so even a class player like Rooney would be valued too highly by United to be afforded by normal clubs. How much would Utd value him at £50m? Can easily find similar quality foreigners for £30m.

Chelsea might be a good shout though. They need a striker and they can afford him. Not sure if Utd have any intention of selling Rooney though. He was dropped yday as a tactical switch vs Xabi Alonso.

We're never going to sell him. It'd be a case of 'you don't know what you have until it's gone' if he left, imo.
Original post by Zürich
Can easily find similar quality foreigners for £30m.

Name me a few
Original post by Tommyjw
Name me a few

Suarez cost about £22m and I think he's at least as good as Rooney.
Cavani would cost about £30m probs and he's not far off Rooney's level.
Lewandowski is absolutely quality imo and would cost about £20m. Not saying he's better, but he's much much more attractive at that price than Rooney for £50m.

Not having a go at Rooney, he's class. Its just that a class English player is too expensive for foreign teams given the quality on offer abroad. Andy Carroll went for £35m ffs, Bent for £20m, Downing for £20m, Defoe for £15m...

For the full £50m you can just have Falcao and he's better than Rooney by some distance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Lewandowski is absolutely quality imo and would cost about £20m. Not saying he's better, but he's much much more attractive at that price than Rooney for £50m.

Not having a go at Rooney, he's class. Its just that a class English player is too expensive for foreign teams given the quality on offer abroad. Andy Carroll went for £35m ffs, Bent for £20m, Downing for £20m, Defoe for £15m...

For the full £50m you can just have Falcao and he's better than Rooney by some distance.

Cavani would be 40. Napoli aren't that skint and he's their best player.
But yeah there would be quality players around or just below his level for much cheaper.
All those players are arguably better or as good goalscorers, none of them are as good playermakers and strikers. As a complete package, I don't think you could find a better player for that money. Quite frankly I can't think of a player you could buy who is as good as a striker, a number 10, and AM, and has the defensive work rate and ability to play as a midfielder.

I think English players are often over priced, but I don't think Rooney for £40m is overpriced, and quite frankly we would probably want £50m. Who are we going to replace him with who can do the same job. Even RVP, as good a striker as he is, cannot dictate a game like Rooney can.

Like a lot of player, he worth more to us than his market value actually is.

Its bull**** anyway, people were saying long before if started on the bench the Rooney to leave rumours would come out.
Reply 1826
Wait Falcao's a lot better than Rooney? Is that just based on this season? Or are you including last season, where Rooney actually only scored 2 less goals than him and at a higher goals/games ratio. Just taking league games into account, Falcao scored 24 in 34. Rooney had 27 in 34. If you take internationals into account, Rooney had 35 in 46 with 10 assists. Falcao had 42 in 60 with 6 assists.

Even just for this season Rooney has 18 goals in 32 games with 15 assists (including internationals). Falcao has 27 goals in 30 games with 2 assists. Rooney's in fact played 100 less minutes than Falcao this season. So their contributions are fairly matched, with Falcao being the better goal scorer and Rooney being the more rounded player.
Original post by VQG
Wait Falcao's a lot better than Rooney? Is that just based on this season? Or are you including last season, where Rooney actually only scored 2 less goals than him and at a higher goals/games ratio. Just taking league games into account, Falcao scored 24 in 34. Rooney had 27 in 34. If you take internationals into account, Rooney had 35 in 46 with 10 assists. Falcao had 42 in 60 with 6 assists.

Even just for this season Rooney has 18 goals in 32 games with 15 assists (including internationals). Falcao has 27 goals in 30 games with 2 assists. Rooney's in fact played 100 less minutes than Falcao this season. So their contributions are fairly matched, with Falcao being the better goal scorer and Rooney being the more rounded player.

There's the fact that they play much different roles too. They allow falcao to take a lot of shots, he gets a lot of support from turan, filipe and others and the team is based on getting falcao to score. Rooney is made to create chances for others and take his own. He's the player I hate to see on the teamsheet against us as he's one of few strikers who can dictate a game with his passing ability.
Original post by Zürich

You said you could name players players of a similar quality for £30m. Lewandowski isn't of similar quality. Cavani is closer but will also be higher than £30m. Suarez isn't as good as Rooney and i also doubt he'd go for £30m.

And Falco is faarr from 'better by some distance' as already stated
Original post by Tommyjw
You said you could name players players of a similar quality for £30m. Lewandowski isn't of similar quality. Cavani is closer but will also be higher than £30m. Suarez isn't as good as Rooney and i also doubt he'd go for £30m.

Eh? Suarez went for £22m and he's been as good as Rooney since he's arrived(for a **** LFC side as well). Lewandowski isn't as good but he is much better value. Falcao's record speaks for itself.

Its widely accepted that English players are overpriced. Rooney would be no different and probably more extreme given his unique importance to Utd. In other words he probably wont be sold abroad as nobody would probably pay the asking price.
Original post by Tommyjw

Tommyjw, entertaining as ever.

Anyway, ESPN understand that you'd be willing to sell Rooney for £35million, Madrid have no interest and PSG would be willing.

Does this mean Kagawa has convinced SAF that he's a long term success, with that hat-trick at the weekend?
Original post by Zürich
Eh? Suarez went for £22m and he's been as good as Rooney since he's arrived

Ye.... no he hasn't. What utter tripe.

Lewandowski isn't as good but he is much better value.

I could easily say he isn't better value. If you can afford to buy rooney you are going to make much value than if you can't and have to spend way above normal to get him. So it depends.

Even then you are completely failing to go by your original point. Lewandowski =/= similar quality.

Falcao's record speaks for itself.

So do Rooneys.

Original post by Straight up G

Feel free to actually provide some input other than implying i'm being stupid when others have actually agreed with me^

I assume you do actually believe Suarez is better than Rooney. Which is just embarrassing, but go ahead and entertain me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Straight up G

Anyway, ESPN understand that you'd be willing to sell Rooney for £35million, Madrid have no interest and PSG would be willing.

Does this mean Kagawa has convinced SAF that he's a long term success, with that hat-trick at the weekend?

Yeah, that isn't happening lets be honest. Or are you taking the piss?
Original post by Tommyjw
Ye.... no he hasn't. What utter tripe.

I could easily say he isn't better value. If you can afford to buy rooney you are going to make much value than if you can't and have to spend way above normal to get him. So it depends.

Even then you are completely failing to go by your original point. Lewandowski =/= similar quality.

Come on man, Suarez is playing in a midtable team and scoring for fun. Suarez's all round game is excellent too. Even as a Utd fan you have to recognise that LS is absolute top drawer quality and there or there abouts as good as Rooney.

Used to watch Suarez at Ajax and the guy's technique is unbelievable. He's added 20+ goals a season to his game now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Come on man, Suarez is playing in a midtable team and scoring for fun. Suarez's all round game is excellent too. Even as a Utd fan you have to recognise that LS is absolute top drawer quality and there or there abouts as good as Rooney.

Used to watch Suarez at Ajax and the guy's technique is unbelievable. He's added 20+ goals a season to his game now.

Liverpool aren't exactly your normal midtable team but I get what you're saying. Suarez is at rooney's level. Next season since suarez would be in a more supporting role the whole season as sturridge is there would mean that suarez and rooney would be easier compared. Rooney is always overlooked as a quality player for some reason though. Funnily enough the actual good english players are the ones that are underrated and seen as rubbish.
Original post by Zürich
Come on man, Suarez is playing in a midtable team and scoring for fun. Even as a Utd fan you have to recognise that LS is absolute top drawer quality and there or there abouts as good as Rooney.

I never said he wasn't a top player. Simply that he isn't as good as Rooney. Not many are, he is one of the most complete footballers of this generation.

So lets see this years PL stats

Suarez: 2405 minutes. 21 goals 4 assists
Goal/assist every 96 minutes
Rooney: 1502 minutes. 11 goals 9 assists
Goal/assist every 75 minutes.

Suarez also , at 5.8 shots per game, has the most shots per game in the league and 2.2 more than Rooney. Suarez shoots.. what..60 % more than Rooney? Where would Suarez be if he had to share the load as much as Rooney? Where would Rooney be if he was given so much attacking responsibility as Suarez? Because the stats show Rooneys shooting accuracy and chance conversion is better.

Of course i could then delve deeper into passing, tackling, losing and winning possession, passes in defensive third and such showing defensive involvement etc.

Rooney comes out on top despite being in the withdrawn position and despite not having the same allowances Suarez has with how often he shoots and such. To make a better comparison we would need either Rooney to have more shots per game (Like last season, with 27 goals, behind the main striker, with still 1.2 shots per game less than Suarez right now ) or for Suarez to be , like with Sturridge, forced/encouraged to spread more of the play around.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone seen the vidic and goal keeper incident??!?!

Is it just me ( and Gary Neville)? No one has mentioned it-not even the commentators and that's why know one knew about it.

Vidic headed the ball and the goalkeeper then punched him in the face with two hands-should of been a pen. No Man utd players complained, if it was a Real madrid player....

I think to overcome these freak incidence of referee mistakes is to eliminate different interpretation by making all the European league in same standard. I mean officiating matches in Spain, England, Germany, Italy etc are all different.
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
No one has mentioned it-not even the commentators and that's why know one knew about it.

It has been mentioned in this thread and the match thread a couple of times. There was also a picture.

I can't remember any commentator or pundit mention it, but I usually block them out.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://mufcfans.com/03/2013/man-utd-v-norwich-michael-carrick-part-1/

15 gifs of Carricks class performance v Norwich
Usual media bull**** about Rooney today then :rolleyes: can't see him leaving or us wanting him to either, hopefully Sir Alex just shuts this media crap down at the pre match conference for the Chelsea game, which I fully expect Rooney to start btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest