The Student Room Group

Shop Assistant refused to sell me tampons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bestofyou
I went into the shop to buy tampons today and the girl at the till (only looked a year or so older than me) looked at me like I was some sort of prev and said 'I can't actually sell you these, store policy sorry.'

I was like wtf.

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people. So as I already tipped the embarrassment scale I decided to argue this ridiculous motive. It was much better to walk out of the store with my tail between my legs.

So I said 'is there any particular reason I can't buy these'

She said, 'well these are a female cosmetic product and we only sell such items to females'

'They could be for a sick friend for all you know'

'And this 'sick friend' has no female friends that could have helped her then?'

It went back and fourth like this for a minute or so until I finally gave up. It was none of her business what I needed them for so wasn't going to tell the cheeky bitch. I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.

I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.

Are they allowed to refuse to sell me what ever they want?

That is a crazy emporium. If a lady was refused moustache wax or snuff we would never hear the end of it.
Original post by bestofyou
I went into the shop to buy tampons today and the girl at the till (only looked a year or so older than me) looked at me like I was some sort of prev and said 'I can't actually sell you these, store policy sorry.'

I was like wtf.

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people. So as I already tipped the embarrassment scale I decided to argue this ridiculous motive. It was much better to walk out of the store with my tail between my legs.

So I said 'is there any particular reason I can't buy these'

She said, 'well these are a female cosmetic product and we only sell such items to females'

'They could be for a sick friend for all you know'

'And this 'sick friend' has no female friends that could have helped her then?'

It went back and fourth like this for a minute or so until I finally gave up. It was none of her business what I needed them for so wasn't going to tell the cheeky bitch. I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.

I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.

Are they allowed to refuse to sell me what ever they want?

You should phone the police tomorrow and report it. Contact the store too, most likely she'll just be a cashier and not have any authority whatsoever, try and get her into trouble.
Reply 42
Original post by 122025278
I'm sorry but WTF are you on about!?

Imagine I am a shop keeper. A gay man and his muslim friend come in, pick something up and approach the till. I tell them I'm not selling it to them becomes one of them is gay and the other one is a muslim and if they don't like it they can lump it.

From what your saying that's all legal. Lol.

Sounds weird but they can actually refuse your offer. It's true! Lol obviously they can't discriminate but they can say no.

NI seems to be an exception. I don't know where the OP is from but scotland,England and Wales follow the rules I posted.

Edit: I checked NI rules actually, and they say its illegal as well so I take that back.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
Okay, so if it's not on discriminatory ground, then on what grounds can they refuse to sell the product?

If you're behaving aggressively etc. But apart from that I have no idea. And this really is sexism, since it was his gender she had a problem with. :eek:
Original post by Schichtoe
You're quite right. They're a weapon when placed in the hands of anybody, regardless of whether they have ovaries or not.

Lethal weapons. Silent, but deadly.
Original post by pjm600
They can. They don't have to give a reason. Ultimately, the customer asks if they can buy the item for a price, they seller can decline that sale.

So we should be allowed to let shops dictate what we can buy.

Forcing women to go the shops to tampons or sanitary towels because she's a woman and she has to buy them for her own needs.

I think OP you should find out why the refused you... Saying your man isnt an excuse.

its like saying women can't buy a car because she's a woman.

People need to open their minds and think about the possibilities not just oh a man asked to buy tampons whutta period fetish freak.
By the way they can refuse to sell you any item but in this situation there was no reason to....
(edited 11 years ago)
My dad used to buy tampons for my mum sometimes if she was too ill to go out or something...

What if all shops did this stupid policy?! Women would have to just sit on the toilet until their period finished if they ran out and couldn't get someone to pick them up. Hahahaha. Ok admittedly that was super exaggeration but still :rolleyes:
Original post by Rooster523
It's called invitation to treat. Google it.

It's the same reason stores don't HAVE to sell you goods which have inadvertently been advertised at a lower price than the store is currently selling them for. Some do out of courtesy but they don't have to.

I think I'll go with the citizens advice website unless you give me a reliable source stating that. (Except NI, I have recognised that it is legal there)
Reply 50
Original post by deedee123
How can it not be proved they were discriminating? The cashier openly stated "we only sell these to women", hence sexual discrimination. According to the law, it is illegal. He asked if it was legal.

That's what I said. He originally asked: "Are they allowed to refuse to sell me what ever they want?". Sellers can, unless it can be proved that they were acting discriminately, which in the first case they were.
Original post by -Liberty
Sounds weird but they can actually refuse your offer. It's true! Lol obviously they can't discriminate but they can say no.

Of course they can refuse to sell you something, that isn't in doubt. They can't refuse to sell you something on the grounds that they're unlawfully discriminating, unless of course they don't admit it then the onus is on you to prove that.

In this context, the information you've given is utterly useless.
Reply 52
Original post by hannahchan

Well yes, the sellers are the people that choose whether or not to sell their items.

People need to open their minds and think about the possibilities not just oh a man asked to buy tampons whutta period fetish freak.

No one in this thread had even brought that up.
Hi, my partner who is a male, on many occasions has taken a trip up to the shops and picked me up a pack of tampons (and sometimes a well appreciated box of malteasers). Never once has he been refused purchase.

I think a shop can refuse you the sale of some products but only with valid reasoning. If you are unhappy with the staff at the tills, immediately ask to see the manager, most often that'll put their tail straight between their legs and if they do indeed still not sell and do get the manager, you can explain that you are unreasonably being refused the sale on discriminatory grounds (in this case sexism).

There is no law stating males can't buy tampons, regardless of intentional use, whether its for a lady friend, a contemporary artwork or a chronic anime-style nose bleed.

Of course you left and went elsewhere, but you could write a letter of complaint; sometimes you'll get a nice formal apology and sometimes a little compensation (e.g. £10 gift voucher). Out of curiosity where were you shopping? (remember in a letter of complaint not to get angry but to be formally displeased as this will get the most response) :3
Reply 54
I've been trying to think of ways that a man could cause trouble with tampons or other reasons not to sell them to him, but I've came up with nothing :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by 122025278
Of course they can refuse to sell you something, that isn't in doubt. They can't refuse to sell you something on the grounds that they're unlawfully discriminating, unless of course they don't admit it then the onus is on you to prove that.

In this context, the information you've given is utterly useless.

That was just my response, if you read what I said, I said it was stupid. But I stated that so I wasn't one sided.
Original post by deedee123
You're confusing people by saying "they can, but its not lawful"

That's like saying "yes, you can kill your neighbour, but its not lawful"

Exactly, totally pointless, what they're saying is useless in this context.

Forcing women to go the shops to tampons or sanitary towels because she's a woman and she has to buy them for her own needs.

I think OP you should find out why the refused you... Saying your man isnt an excuse.

its like saying women can't buy a car because she's a woman.

yes, obviously.You can't force someone to sell you something.
Reply 58
I have never heard of anything like that. What possible evil can be done with a tampon? It's cotton.

She sounds like a new employee who's barely been trained. She has to be, because as far as I know, men buy tampons all the time (nobody's done for me, but I know some who have done for daughters and girlfriends).
What if you had a daughter who just got her period and were embarrassed to get some for herself! Is she even aware of the possible consequence. How rude. I would honestly go back and speak to the manager, although I am a bit of a bitch with service personnel so I take these things seriously...

This reminds me of when my friend lost her virginity. They used a condom but she was still the overanxious type. She said she was worried something's gone wrong. The only way to put her to ease was to go to Boots to get a morning after pill. There was a pissy Japanese woman behind the till. My friend, who's a preppy innocent looking "Charlotte York" girl, asked politely for one of those "next day pills". The woman moved out from the desk in front of us and I could see she was ready-to-pop pregnant. I just thought "oh no". She started asking questions, as to why she needed them etc. My friend said it was just a precaution. Then she said "I can't give these pills just so that you can go and have fun tonight". I was shocked. If at the very least my friend had been a stripper-looking, suspicious girl, but this was just odd.. She refused, and we had to leave. No wonder the UK is struggling with teenage pregnancies.
Reply 59
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Lethal weapons. Silent, but deadly.

Yes indeed. Yet nobody has taken my tampon awareness day idea seriously...

Original post by Shinusuke_Akki
Hi, my partner who is a male, on many occasions has taken a trip up to the shops and picked me up a pack of tampons (and sometimes a well appreciated box of malteasers).

Just don't get these confused.

By the way, I've bought tampons for girlfriends before without an issue. It seems pretty weird to refuse sale. Especially since they're so ridiculously overpriced as it is. Get the LGBT groups in on this, I reckon they'd flip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending