The Student Room Group

Where to firm?

Okay, so I'm going to call them X, Y and Z so people won't be biased :smile: Opinions needed, as I'm not sure where to firm!

X: The course sounds great, with lots of options, opportunity to start a language, department seems really friendly, consistent top 10 department.
Well respected uni, great reputation. Cheap (ish) cost of living and nice city. However, the university itself didn't appeal to me, there was just something about it that didn't seem very 'me'.

Y: Course still sounds good, however perhaps not as much choice as X. Good department, though uni in itself (perhaps?) not as higher ranked, although it is still pretty good! Loved the campus, had a great atmosphere, can really imagine myself there.
However, very expensive accommodation/cost of living and I've heard this uni has a bit of a 'rah rah' reputation.

Z: Course sounded great again, and the department seemed so friendly! Really loved the uni and the area and could see me going there. Nice city, cheap cost of living.
Uni not as prestigious as X and Y and can be seen as having a party reputation.

I'm mainly deciding between X and Y, although Z is still a contender.
Hope I haven't given too much away, although you may be able to guess. But advice needed please :smile:
Reply 1
wow is it bad that I have no idea which unis you're talking about?! haha

Anyway, I wouldnt go anywhere near uni X only because you dont see yourself there/not very you. You want to go to a uni where you feel at home and picture yourself walking on the campus everyday. I know it sounds silly but its how i do it! I would go for Y as its in between because Z is not as prestigious and lets face it, in this day and age "prestigious unis! is all its about!
Go to the one where you will be *happy* for three years. Somewhere you will be doing courses/units/reading that you will enjoy and where your interest in the course will keep you going through three years of study. And somewhere where you will feel comfortable socially. Dont get hung up on 'reputation' - this counts for nothing if you hate the course, and despite what your school may tell you, employers dont keep a score card of Unis and League Tables on the back of the HR Dept door.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TBBT
wow is it bad that I have no idea which unis you're talking about?! haha

Anyway, I wouldnt go anywhere near uni X only because you dont see yourself there/not very you. You want to go to a uni where you feel at home and picture yourself walking on the campus everyday. I know it sounds silly but its how i do it! I would go for Y as its in between because Z is not as prestigious and lets face it, in this day and age "prestigious unis! is all its about!

Original post by returnmigrant
Go to the one where you will be *happy* for three years. Somewhere you will be doing courses/units/reading that you will enjoy and where your interest in the course will keep you going through three years of study. And somewhere where you will feel comfortable socially. Dont get hung up on 'reputation' - this counts for nothing if you hate the course, and despite what your school may tell you, employers dont keep a score card of Unis and League Tables on the back of the HR Dept door.

Hi, what would you say now if I tell you X=York, Y=Exeter and Z=Sheffield. Does that change your opinions, and do you agree with how I described them? :smile:
Reply 4
Hiya :smile:

I don't know much about Sheffield as I haven't applied there but I am/was in a similar position to you as I hold offers from Exeter and York.

Have you visited both? Before I visited I really thought York would be my favourite as like you said the course seemed to be better/more diverse than Exeter's. But after visiting both on history open days I got the same feeling as you that it wasn't really for me. Exeter's campus seemed nicer than york's and had a nice main central forum whilst York seemed a bit too 'mish-mash' to me and wasn't as close to the city as I would have liked, whereas Exeter was closer.

With regards to reputation both are well reputed university's and whilst York is further up for history neither would, overall, let you down on a CV. Both I would say are in the same bracket of university's.

I wouldn't worry too much about Exeter's 'rah' reputation, from what I've heard from people I know there people are very friendly and you're likely to make friends wherever you go.

I would go with your gut reaction if I were you, it nearly always turns out to be the right choice, so don't get too hung up on reputations and the like :smile: .
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pricey26
Hi, what would you say now if I tell you X=York, Y=Exeter and Z=Sheffield. Does that change your opinions, and do you agree with how I described them? :smile:

Only you can decide which University & which course will suit *you and your interests* best.

Anyone else's opinion (however well informed) will be *their* opinion, based on their interests, comforts and focus.
Reply 6
Original post by bramley
Hiya :smile:

I don't know much about Sheffield as I haven't applied there but I am/was in a similar position to you as I hold offers from Exeter and York.

Have you visited both? Before I visited I really thought York would be my favourite as like you said the course seemed to be better/more diverse than Exeter's. But after visiting both on history open days I got the same feeling as you that it wasn't really for me. Exeter's campus seemed nicer than york's and had a nice main central forum whilst York seemed a bit too 'mish-mash' to me and wasn't as close to the city as I would have liked, whereas Exeter was closer.

With regards to reputation both are well reputed university's and whilst York is further up for history neither would, overall, let you down on a CV. Both I would say are in the same bracket of university's.

I wouldn't worry too much about Exeter's 'rah' reputation, from what I've heard from people I know there people are very friendly and you're likely to make friends wherever you go.

I would go with your gut reaction if I were you, it nearly always turns out to be the right choice, so don't get too hung up on reputations and the like :smile: .

That's so weird, that's exactly what I though about York. Really wanted to like it, and thought I would, but the campus just seemed so dull and boring, with nothing going on at all. Really out of the way and bleak. Exeter just seemed so much more lively and buzzing and the campus was just gorgeous! Almost definitely going with Exeter, just got to pluck up the courage to do it :smile: Have you firmed yet?
Reply 7
That's so weird, that's exactly what I though about York. Really wanted to like it, and thought I would, but the campus just seemed so dull and boring, with nothing going on at all. Really out of the way and bleak. Exeter just seemed so much more lively and buzzing and the campus was just gorgeous! Almost definitely going with Exeter, just got to pluck up the courage to do it :smile: Have you firmed yet?

Yeah I think visiting York after Exeter was definitely a bit of a come down! It's a shame because the course seemed pretty good but Exeter was much nicer. I haven't yet because I'm trying to decide between st Andrews and Exeter for my firm and I haven't visited st Andrews yet so I can't be sure yet. Exeter's definitely my favourite so far though! Good luck with your decision, I might see you at Exeter :smile:
Reply 8

Hi sorry for the late reply. I'm quite surprised at the unis because in my opinion Sheffield and exteter are both very good unis! So no I dont really agree with how you described them but that okay :smile: anyway I think you should deffo decode between these two as they are much better then York! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending