The Student Room Group

What university should I go to? (international student!)

Hello everyone.

I am an international student on a gap year and I'd like to study in the UK.

I can choose between Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, Northumbria, and Hull university. I applied for Marketing at all of them and got offers.

I have visited all those cities. Out of all of them I like Glasgow the most, (I also have some friends there already), followed by Newcastle, Edinburgh and then Hull.

The thing is, I have looked at online charts and opinion of those universities I have applied to, but even after research there are a lot of conflicting opinions and I don't know what the REAL difference between getting a degree from one or the other is.

I would like to go to Caledonian the most. First of all because I absolutely love the city, second of all because I would also save £36000.

It is not very high in the charts, but my friends from Glasgow told me that even though it is not as prestigious as other universities it is good to study at and won't have more problems than others finding a job.

Is that true? If that is true I'd definitely go to Glasgow.

But if one of the universities that accepted me were to be far, far better than the others and open many more doors for my future then I'd reconsider.

Thanks a lot everyone for your time.
Reply 1
Original post by va9
Hello everyone.

I am an international student on a gap year and I'd like to study in the UK.

I can choose between Glasgow Caledonian, Napier, Northumbria, and Hull university. I applied for Marketing at all of them and got offers.

I have visited all those cities. Out of all of them I like Glasgow the most, (I also have some friends there already), followed by Newcastle, Edinburgh and then Hull.

The thing is, I have looked at online charts and opinion of those universities I have applied to, but even after research there are a lot of conflicting opinions and I don't know what the REAL difference between getting a degree from one or the other is.

I would like to go to Caledonian the most. First of all because I absolutely love the city, second of all because I would also save £36000.

It is not very high in the charts, but my friends from Glasgow told me that even though it is not as prestigious as other universities it is good to study at and won't have more problems than others finding a job.

Is that true? If that is true I'd definitely go to Glasgow.

But if one of the universities that accepted me were to be far, far better than the others and open many more doors for my future then I'd reconsider.

Thanks a lot everyone for your time.

I'm also an international student so I can help a bit though I cannot offer much help because I'm not familiar with the universities you applied to. First, as an international student you should consider the length of time of your degree: in Glasgow it will be 4 years. So basically you'll pay 8000 or more if compared to a university in England and this is only the tuition fee without the living expenses. Personally I'll advise you to go to England. As for employment it depends on where you want to work.The honor you'll get, your experience, you employability skills, the university, your personality may all play an important factor in variant degrees depending on the employer. Internationally a ''prestigious'' university does play an important factor ( I'm thinking of countries in the middle east that is). Though a lot of people succeed without going to one because of their work experience. Go to your local British Council and ask them your questions they will help you for sure. Choose well as it's a life changing decision! Hope I helped. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending