The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Internet for Gaming/Torrenting @ University of Nottingham

Hi, I might be going to Nottingham University next year to study computer science. I have a few questions about the internet that is available to students.

I am aware that the halls come with internet as standard but are there any restrictions put on this internet? I am a big online gamer and would hate for things to be blocked preventing me from gaming or downloading via torrents ect...

What kind of download/upload speeds would I get from the standard internet in halls, is there anyway to upgrade it? (At additional costs...)

Also, is there wifi available around campus (So I can access email/forums/youtube?) Currently I tether my smartphone to my laptop so I can get unfiltered internet in college but I'd like to reduce the cost of this monthly bill by downgrading my plan which would mean I could no longer tether.

Thanks for any help,
TomByrne94
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TomByrne94
Hi, I might be going to Nottingham University next year to study computer science. I have a few questions about the internet that is available to students.

I am aware that the halls come with internet as standard but are there any restrictions put on this internet? I am a big online gamer and would hate for things to be blocked preventing me from gaming or downloading via torrents ect...

What kind of download/upload speeds would I get from the standard internet in halls, is there anyway to upgrade it? (At additional costs...)

Also, is there wifi available around campus (So I can access email/forums/youtube?) Currently I tether my smartphone to my laptop so I can get unfiltered internet in college but I'd like to reduce the cost of this monthly bill by downgrading my plan which would mean I could no longer tether.

Thanks for any help,
TomByrne94

Torrenting isn't allowed. This is pretty standard for universities - if they let users torrent, the connection would grind to a halt (there's thousands of people just living on campus)!

Gaming will normally be fine. Things like WoW may require some workaround when it comes to patching, thanks to its novel idea of only patching via torrents, but other than that, life is good!

You will get secure wireless pretty much everywhere, even in halls! Unsecure wireless is everywhere except halls where you'll only get it in the bars/common areas :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Well technically torrenting isn't allowed, at the same time I sometimes left my torrent client on over night and found it downloading stuff in the middle of the night. Not really sure how that works but it happened more than once. I also tried using a VPN however it didn't work, that might have been due to the VPN I was using though.
Main problem I have in halls with gaming is having Steam unable to connect to the servers. It was fine last semester, this term though one of the updates couldn't download properly, we'll see how it goes when I return in April (came home this week) now it's done :wink:

Torrents are pretty much blocked...but it's still possible to find some websites/ways around.

As said, wireless is everywhere. You shouldn't have any problems with that at all.

Speeds wise...it's pretty damn nice to be honest. Got this screenshot last term when Steam was working (the 17k was after a space of about 15 mins of downloading. 5 games downloading all their patches at the same time :tongue: ). Of course, expect to hit that peak more often at night, during the day it can be hit & miss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending