The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety Test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Olie
Yeah, pretty much any social situation apart from when I'm with family I sweat a hell of a lot, 2 hour seminars at uni can be a nightmare and even with the counsellor I'm seeing I still sweat a lot and while I use anti-perspirant everyday it does nothing to stop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mm is really annoying, I tried all sorts of anti perspirants but none of em seem to help :/ I think mine is like anxiety full stop as well, I get anxious with anything like exams or stress so not just social situations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 36, which surprised me a little because I am pretty shy, but I guess it only really affects me in certain situations. I have big problems talking to people I don't know on the phone (just booking a table at a restaurant is a struggle for me) and I HATE standing up in front of people to give a talk or presentation. I remember seriously dreading having to do anything like that at school!
Original post by SciFiRory
Mm is really annoying, I tried all sorts of anti perspirants but none of em seem to help :/ I think mine is like anxiety full stop as well, I get anxious with anything like exams or stress so not just social situations!

I have sweating problems too (although not to do with stress or anxiety) and normal anti-perspirants don't really do much for me. I use a clinical strength anti-perspirant spray called Perspi-Guard, I find it really helps to stop excessive sweating :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by rainbow.panda
I have sweating problems too (although not to do with stress or anxiety) and normal anti-perspirants don't really do much for me. I use a clinical strength anti-perspirant spray called Perspi-Guard, I find it really helps to stop excessive sweating :smile:

Ah okay, not tried that one, will look out for it, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, not tried that one, will look out for it, thanks :smile:

I've never found it in shops but Amazon sells it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perspi-Guard-Antiperspirant-Treatment-50ml/dp/B004803YDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362651010&sr=8-1
Reply 85

cheers, will order some when I have some money next week :smile:
88, could be worse I suppose
Reply 87
Original post by USRaphael
Yeah, I figured they'd probably just give me the same advice as books that's partly why I haven't got any help so far. I tried even the very tiniest of social interaction at uni and it went terribly wrong every time, I don't understand how I can further break it down.

I live in the US so I don't think it's likely the NHS would pay :tongue: I'm also on antidepressants already which are the common drug for anxiety but they don't seem to make any difference on that front. I've had propranolol in the past and have some diazepam too again neither really helps with enabling me to talk to people or do very basic things SA gets in the way of.

I joined up to a sports team today which is a massive step for me. I already guess how it's going to turn out - I'll go, won't be able to talk to anyone, will play like **** because of people watching, will get kicked out/will stop going on my own because I play like **** and make no friends. Really hoping I can manage it but not overly convinced. :sigh:

But do SSRIs help you do those baby steps? Things just slightly beyond what you can already do. Even if those things are less than basic things, as long as they're something you couldn't do before that you can do now.
Original post by Rybee
I honestly can't believe how some of these scores are so high. I got 4/128, I'd be fascinated to see what people scored particular questions.

1 Fear: Taking a test of your ability, skill, or knowledge.
Who doesn't get a little bit nervy before an exam. Not sure what this has to do with social anxiety!?

1 Avoidance: Expressing disagreement or disapproval to someone you don’t know very well.
Not particularly bothered about other peoples views... Just not going to argue with someone I don't know, what's the point?!

2 Avoidance: Acting, performing, or speaking in front of an audience.
Acting/performing is cringe. I always hated drama... 'pretend to be a tree'. Nahhhh im alright thanks! Though I'd have no problem speaking in front of an audience.

edit; and I suffer from clinical anxiety. Just not social anxiety! My anxiety is a self manifestation of irrational thoughts, which in a way I guess is even more 'stupid' than social anxiety... at least people with SA can pinpoint the cause of their anxiety. I just tend to mentally explode whilst shaking like a heroin addict for no real reason at all, mentally wired for days on end until it stops... Or until I have a valium sandwich. :cool:

That's me basically. I can just be sitting down with a cup of tea or something and suddenly my heart will go mental, I start shaking and get this intense feeling of impending doom for no reason. It's horrible.
Mornings are particularly bad.

I'm trying to use 'mindfulness' techniques to cope with it at the moment but it's so difficult.

I scored 28 on the social anxiety test - I'm generally a shy and awkward person and I hate making phone calls and despise being the centre of attention so that's not surprising. It's the inexplicable feelings of terror when I should be feeling relaxed that are really hard to deal with though.
Reply 89

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exams are really bad for me as well as the SA, I'm ill all day and can't eat before and always panic I'm going to forget everything when I get into the exam room. And driving test was possibly even worse for me, its nearly 4 years ago now and I still get anxious when I think back to it:colondollar:
Reply 90
69 (lol)
Reply 91
Original post by Kentucky_Avenue
That's me basically. I can just be sitting down with a cup of tea or something and suddenly my heart will go mental, I start shaking and get this intense feeling of impending doom for no reason. It's horrible.
Mornings are particularly bad.

I'm trying to use 'mindfulness' techniques to cope with it at the moment but it's so difficult.

I scored 28 on the social anxiety test - I'm generally a shy and awkward person and I hate making phone calls and despise being the centre of attention so that's not surprising. It's the inexplicable feelings of terror when I should be feeling relaxed that are really hard to deal with though.

I did give give these techniques a go a while back (and will try again soon) but can't say it had any proper effect for me personally. Even if I did actually managed to fully clear my mind when meditating (which was so difficult as my mind never stops chatting and worrying about something and its nearly impossible to stop), I only feel relaxed and better for a short period of time, all it takes for something to stress me out again and the effects will be gone.
Reply 92
Original post by Olie
Yeah exams are really bad for me as well as the SA, I'm ill all day and can't eat before and always panic I'm going to forget everything when I get into the exam room. And driving test was possibly even worse for me, its nearly 4 years ago now and I still get anxious when I think back to it:colondollar:

yeah, I was supposed to have an exam in mid January but I spent the bus journey to Uni hiding at the back and shaking/crying :/ by the time I got there I was having a full blown panic attack so I just found somewhere quiet to cry and try and get myself together, after that though I just went home, no way I could've done the exam in that state :s-smilie: my memory just evaporates with exams, remember with my GCSE's I would sit down and my mind just went blank! it's awful! :hugs:
Reply 93
yeah, I was supposed to have an exam in mid January but I spent the bus journey to Uni hiding at the back and shaking/crying :/ by the time I got there I was having a full blown panic attack so I just found somewhere quiet to cry and try and get myself together, after that though I just went home, no way I could've done the exam in that state :s-smilie: my memory just evaporates with exams, remember with my GCSE's I would sit down and my mind just went blank! it's awful! :hugs:

Sorry to hear that, that sounds awful, were your uni understanding?
Reply 94
Original post by Olie
Sorry to hear that, that sounds awful, were your uni understanding?

yeah, my GP gave me a sick note initially for the exam and the 2 weeks after it, but now till April (this isn't just anxiety related though, have depression as well which ive been struggling with a lot of late), the Uni haven't said anything to me so I assume they are okay with it :dontknow:
Original post by Runninground
I don't get the fear bit? If you have a fear, you will avoid doing something. Do people seriously have a fear of eating in public, or returning goods to a store, or do they simply not want to do it?

I don't like speaking on the phone in public. I avoid it whenever possible. I don't however have a fear of it... I don't get sweaty palms and shaky hands, I just don't like people listening in.

I don't like being the centre of attention. I will avoid it but I don't have a fear of it. If I suddenly became the centre of attention, i'll try to divert it. I'm not going to have a panic attack or run away.

And not a confident person.

I got 38 btw. I left the 'fear' ones as 0 because I don't see how most the them can be a fear...

You're right, you don't have a fear of it. Some people do though. When I had social anxiety it was literally heart pounding at many of those things.

I never avoided things due to the fear though (I thought it was best to confront them to get rid of it). So I don't see why you assume that to fear something you necessarily have to actively avoid it.
83, a lot higher than i thought, duno how im managing to survive my year abroad, well its defo a lot better than last term :smile:
Reply 97
I got 60.
It's funny cause I have days when I have a lot of self-confidence and I can easily talk to people I don't know very well and I don't have much of a problem.

Then I have days when my self-confidence is really low, I find it hard to speak to people who intimidate me (not just people of authority) and I can't look at them in the eyes. I HATE it when people ask me to play the piano in front of them or when I have to speak in class. I start to shake and my mouth goes dry. But on the days when I have more self-confidence, I don't really have this problem. It's kinda weird...

I try not to avoid situations because I believe it's always best to confront our fears, but sometimes I do avoid things. I definitely avoid urinating in public toilets haha.
Once I was at a friend's house and I just couldn't pee and I spent an hour going back to the loo and in the end she told me there was a toilet downstairs, in the garage, so I went and it came out straight away. It's stupid, but I am starting to get over that little problem. THANK GOODNESS. ^^
Reply 98
27, so I do not have social anxiety (though I knew that anyway). Unfortunately I do suffer from other anxiety disorders though.
Reply 99
yeah, my GP gave me a sick note initially for the exam and the 2 weeks after it, but now till April (this isn't just anxiety related though, have depression as well which ive been struggling with a lot of late), the Uni haven't said anything to me so I assume they are okay with it :dontknow:

Yeah sounds like they are, if they weren't then they would have spoken to you about it. Maybe you could email them about it just to be sure?

Quick Reply

Latest