The Student Room Group

S6 subject choices

Hi there !

Picking my subjects for S6 today and was wondering what advanced history was like for some people ??

Also I was thinking about taking both advanced higher history and advanced higher modern studies, is that too much ??
If anyone has taken that combination before can you tell me how you found it.

Also to go along with the subjects above I was thinking about taking crash higher classical studies or crash advanced higher art. Are those subject any good either ???

Sorry Im just really confused about subjects, my school has been no help!
Hey I currently take Adv Higher History and Adv Higher French, but a friend of mine takes both Adv H History and Adv H Modern Studies, and it seems that things can be tight for her because of dissertations and apparently a lot of research is done in modern studies
Reply 2
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Hey I currently take Adv Higher History and Adv Higher French, but a friend of mine takes both Adv H History and Adv H Modern Studies, and it seems that things can be tight for her because of dissertations and apparently a lot of research is done in modern studies

Yeah I was really worried that they would take up too much of my time cause I know that there is a lot of research to do for AH modies. I want s6 to be a bit more chilled than s5 cause obviously the work will be hard at uni so I dont want to take on too much if u get what I mean.
Original post by evalilyXOX
Yeah I was really worried that they would take up too much of my time cause I know that there is a lot of research to do for AH modies. I want s6 to be a bit more chilled than s5 cause obviously the work will be hard at uni so I dont want to take on too much if u get what I mean.

Yeh, I know what you mean, at first I said to myself I was going to have a laid back S6, then ended up taking 2 Advanced Highers and 3 Highers haha so it has been wild for me, but yeh it totally will prepare you more for uni, especially the Advanced Highers because of a lot of it being more independent work and study. It's just all about managing your time right.
Reply 4
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Yeh, I know what you mean, at first I said to myself I was going to have a laid back S6, then ended up taking 2 Advanced Highers and 3 Highers haha so it has been wild for me, but yeh it totally will prepare you more for uni, especially the Advanced Highers because of a lot of it being more independent work and study. It's just all about managing your time right.

Yea I am still unsure about my subject about now I am thinking about crash AH Art, crash H classical studies and AH modies/history

Thanks anyway xx
Reply 5
Yea I am still unsure about my subject about now I am thinking about crash AH Art, crash H classical studies and AH modies/history

Thanks anyway xx

As an AH Art and H history (among another AH and Int2 and Int1) student all too aware of the stress caused by AH History and AH Modern Studies, I do not recommend that combination of four.

Two AHs are manageable, but can still be difficult for some, particularly if you are set on dissertation and generally essay-heavy courses like History and Modern Studies. Therefore. I don't think you will be able to manage AH art (especially if you havent done Higher and haven't experienced the stress that can cause) because the workload is a lot more than it seems. If you are wanting to achieve an A in AH Art (which I assume you are) or in the very least a B, you'll find yourself spending a lot of lunch times in the art department to meet the minimum requirements for work. AH Art is a very time consuming subject. This would inevitably take up some valuable time you probably will need on the AH dissertations.

Furthermore you're looking to crash another Higher, in classical studies. Generally speaking, crashing subjects can take up some time catching up with others and the SG course - again detracting from time for your AH.courses.

So, in my opinion, the notion of doing all those subjects and receiving an A grade for all is unrealistic. You would be spreading yourself too thin and may cost you your grade. Or you would place an unnecessary amount of stress on yourself.I would therefore opt for either:

- AH History + AH Art (+ H Classics)
- AH Mod + AH Art (+ H Classics)
- AH History + AH Mod

That's just my opinion. You know your capability better than I do, so if you feel that you can do it, then by all means. Then again, you can always ask to drop the subject when things get hectic, but it would be a shame to see the initial effort put in wasted. Hope that helps in your choice a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by napoleons
As an AH Art and H history (among another AH and Int2 and Int1) student all too aware of the stress caused by AH History and AH Modern Studies, I do not recommend that combination of four.

Two AHs are manageable, but can still be difficult for some, particularly if you are set on dissertation and generally essay-heavy courses like History and Modern Studies. Therefore. I don't think you will be able to manage AH art (especially if you havent done Higher and haven't experienced the stress that can cause) because the workload is a lot more than it seems. If you are wanting to achieve an A in AH Art (which I assume you are) or in the very least a B, you'll find yourself spending a lot of lunch times in the art department to meet the minimum requirements for work. AH Art is a very time consuming subject. This would inevitably take up some valuable time you probably will need on the AH dissertations.

Furthermore you're looking to crash another Higher, in classical studies. Generally speaking, crashing subjects can take up some time catching up with others and the SG course - again detracting from time for your AH.courses.

So, in my opinion, the notion of doing all those subjects and receiving an A grade for all is unrealistic. You would be spreading yourself too thin and may cost you your grade. Or you would place an unnecessary amount of stress on yourself.I would therefore opt for either:

- AH History + AH Art (+ H Classics)
- AH Mod + AH Art (+ H Classics)
- AH History + AH Mod

That's just my opinion. You know your capability better than I do, so if you feel that you can do it, then by all means. Then again, you can always ask to drop the subject when things get hectic, but it would be a shame to see the initial effort put in wasted. Hope that helps in your choice a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thanks so much for all of this useful info !!

Yeah I dont think I want to take both AH modies and AH history because it really would be too much !!

I definitely want to take crash AH art and I have enrolled myself in some of the summer drawing classes at the Glasgow School of Art.

They dont know whether they are gonna run AH modies due to numbers at my school so if they dont, i will take AH history instead.

I am used to crash highers cause I am crashing H modies and H history this year anyway so crash H classical studies will be fine. Plus I have been studying Latin for 5 years so I already know what it involves
Reply 7
wow thanks so much for all of this useful info !!

Yeah I dont think I want to take both AH modies and AH history because it really would be too much !!

I definitely want to take crash AH art and I have enrolled myself in some of the summer drawing classes at the Glasgow School of Art.

They dont know whether they are gonna run AH modies due to numbers at my school so if they dont, i will take AH history instead.

I am used to crash highers cause I am crashing H modies and H history this year anyway so crash H classical studies will be fine. Plus I have been studying Latin for 5 years so I already know what it involves

Well, if you believe you can manage AH History, AH Art and Higher Classical Studies then by all means, go for it! Best of luck!
Reply 8
Original post by napoleons
Well, if you believe you can manage AH History, AH Art and Higher Classical Studies then by all means, go for it! Best of luck!

Thanks !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending