The Student Room Group

Want to get into Marketing or PR? Read this first...

What routes are there?
There are a number of ways you could get into the industry, including:

Apprenticeships
Graduate schemes
Professional entry with CIM/CIPR qualifications

Do I need a degree for marketing and PR?
In a word, no. A degree is not essential. Employers these days want to see real experience of what you’ve done. Professional qualifications (such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing or Chartered Institute of Public Relations) often carry far more value to employers than an undergraduate degree.

But that doesn’t mean you won’t get into the industry with one! Good degrees include marketing and advertising, business studies and economics, politics, English, history... All sorts, really. PR and marketing is really broad and there are so many different areas you could go into that there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ degree!

What kind of industry can I work in?

Marketing is really important in this day and age, so every business type tends to have a marketing team in place. There are two types:

In-house (working in the marketing department of a company)
Agency (working for an agency that serves many different clients)

Agency work tends to be more demanding but ultimately more rewarding. You’ll get to experience different businesses, needs and ways of marketing so it can be really fun.

With in-house marketing though, you really get to know the company and what it needs.

If you prefer to work on multiple projects then agency marketing might be better for you, but if you prefer to get in-depth and focus solely on one area then in-house is for you!

What skills do you need?

It depends on the role you are trying to obtain there are so many roles within marketing and PR. Generally, you should have the following skills:

Attention to detail
Good relationship building skills with clients, suppliers, journalists
Good spelling and grammar
Knowledge of social media and online marketing channels
Knowledge of traditional marketing channels
Knowledge of different media for your chosen industry/sector
Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office programmes
Analytical

What kind of job can I get?
Depending on your strengths, you could work in any of the following areas:
Copywriting writing different texts (‘copy’) for different mediums e.g. for adverts, press releases, websites, brochures and so on
Print media creating marketing materials to be used in a variety of ways, such as brochures, leaflets, adverts, business cards etc
Public relations helping to promote a positive image of the company through media coverage, alleviation of the effects of bad press through crisis management, customer relationship management etc
SEO (search engine optimisation) boosting organic sales through the use of search engines. You’ll need to stay on top of developments from Google, Bing etc and employ the right ‘white hat’ techniques to avoid being penalised. You’ll need to have a good working knowledge of how to edit web pages, how to create effective listings, utilise keywords and also how to use analytics. This often goes hand in hand with web development
Strategy how are you going to market the products/services your business sells? Strategy is all about planning and research.
Communications more commonly known as marcoms, you’ll be helping to develop the messages you want to promote for your services/products and through what channels. Popular methods these days are online, including search engines and social media.
Business development common on the agency side, you’ll be building relationships with potential clientele. A large part of this role will include networking and prospecting, and generating new sales.
Customer relationship management you might be responsible for looking after customers and making sure they’re happy with the goods/services they receive. You might help develop loyalty programmes or resolve complaints and problems.
Online marketing/social media this is becoming incredibly popular, as more people than ever take to social media platforms to express their opinions on brands, products and services. You might be responsible for online advertising, managing relationships via social media platforms and minimising negative press.
Events planning and managing events, either for specific products or services or for general publicity.

What hours can I expect to work?
As with many other jobs, it depends.

Most marketing roles are typically 9-5 jobs but you’ll find that you might have to be flexible to the needs of the business. If your company has international clients, for example, you’ll be expected to come in early or stay late to make conference calls at times convenient for your client.

When working in events, you can expect to travel a lot and work evenings and weekends.

How much can I expect to be paid?
It depends on the area, your experience and the type of role it is. For entry level jobs outside of London and not in major cities I’d expect around £13k to be reasonable if you have no experience, over £15k with some experience. Marketing managers can earn upwards of £30k.

You can take a look at Reed’s salary checker for an idea of current salaries: http://www.reed.co.uk/average-salary/marketing-pr

Is there anything I should do to boost my chances of getting a job in marketing and PR?
I’d suggest making sure you know how to write for different audiences and media. Press releases are significantly different to writing a blog post for example.

Make sure you know how to use social media effectively, and get yourself a LinkedIn account so you can start building connections!

Get as much experience as you can; the more experience you have, the more likely you are to be offered a job it’s not just about the grades these days. Marketing theory and marketing in practice are two very different things!

It's also a good idea to get experience both in-house and in an agency, in different areas of marketing so that you can get a rough idea of what your strengths are and what area you would prefer to work in.

Additionally, keeping a blog on things you’re interested in is always good, especially if you can build up a wide following.

Any questions? Just leave a reply below...

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Great post, i must say! Very informative! You mentioned to get experience in order to enter the industry, how does one get experience? Are there any companies that do summer work experience/placement schemes? I am a second year, law student and quite lost as in to start looking lol

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by rurounikenji
Hi,

Great post, i must say! Very informative! You mentioned to get experience in order to enter the industry, how does one get experience? Are there any companies that do summer work experience/placement schemes? I am a second year, law student and quite lost as in to start looking lol

Thanks

I think some companies do offer internships but I couldn't say which ones. W4MP.org is great if you live in London = lots of opportunities advertised there.

Alternatively contact local marketing agencies to see if you can do a couple of weeks experience with them. :smile:
Reply 3
Hello guys and sorry for disturbing.I have a curiosity.If I am a foreigner,do I need some math equivalences?Does a marketing undergraduate course require math?Are there any marketing profiles who don't?Please reply xD
Reply 4
Original post by xasmf
Hello guys and sorry for disturbing.I have a curiosity.If I am a foreigner,do I need some math equivalences?Does a marketing undergraduate course require math?Are there any marketing profiles who don't?Please reply xD

Most universities have a maths requirement for all courses. Marketing is about working with data as well as words so yes, I think having a basic maths course is really important.
Reply 6
Hi, I'm currently running a marketing competition for my company to help aspiring 'madmen' build up their portfolio and of course to further advertise the company. I was searching the internet to promote it when I came across your post.

I totally agree with everything you have said! You put it across incredibly comprehensively and I just wanted to re-iterate the point that you don't have to have qualifications.

What we look for is a candidate who clearly puts their message across and who understands our target audience. Talent impresses us much more qualifications!!!

If you have no experience to prove your worth draw up your own adverts or press releases etc.

We all know a good ad when we see one but it takes someone special to make one! If you have the talent don't let anything stand in your way!
Reply 7
For getting your foot in the door and kick-starting your career, I would recommend a student placement. I am currently on a year out in Bristol UK on a student placement year in industry on my 4 year Marketing Degree. The years experience has really enhanced my CV and not just increased my chances of starting a successful career after university, but I have also gained a greater focus to go back to my final year and achieve a better mark.
Original post by Sean211
For getting your foot in the door and kick-starting your career, I would recommend a student placement. I am currently on a year out in Bristol UK on a student placement year in industry on my 4 year Marketing Degree. The years experience has really enhanced my CV and not just increased my chances of starting a successful career after university, but I have also gained a greater focus to go back to my final year and achieve a better mark.

A student placement for what role?
Reply 9
Is a Marketing with Advertising a good degree to get into marketing?
Reply 10
Original post by mepb
Is a Marketing with Advertising a good degree to get into marketing?

Not necessarily. It's about your experience rather than your degree. Of course I'm sure it'll give you a grounding in the theoretical side.
Is there any point in doing a qualification in PR with the Charted (sp?) Institute of PR? I'm at university at the moment.
Reply 12
Original post by Dee Leigh
Is there any point in doing a qualification in PR with the Charted (sp?) Institute of PR? I'm at university at the moment.

What are you studying? I'd say Yes! Employers like to see professional qualifications from CIPR, they are the industry recognised awarding body.
Original post by inksplodge
What are you studying? I'd say Yes! Employers like to see professional qualifications from CIPR, they are the industry recognised awarding body.

Politics and Sociology.

Another issue I am having is trying to find a paid beauty PR internship. I really want to do an internship but I can't afford to work for free, so I was considering doing a qualification in PR from the CIPR.

What do you suggest?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Dee Leigh
Politics and Sociology.

Another issue I am having is trying to find a paid beauty PR internship. I really want to do an internship but I can't afford to work for free, so I was considering doing a qualification in PR from the CIPR.

What do you suggest?

Try: http://www.workiefinder.com/offered

My personal opinion is that without experience, you're going to struggle to get a paid position initially. It might well be worth doing your CIPR qualification but without that incredibly valuable experience it might not get you what you're looking for.

Try local companies and ask if they would allow you to get some experience with them for a day or two a week, at least if it's local you won't be paying out to travel etc. Some will reimburse you for things like lunch too.
Original post by inksplodge
Try: http://www.workiefinder.com/offered

My personal opinion is that without experience, you're going to struggle to get a paid position initially. It might well be worth doing your CIPR qualification but without that incredibly valuable experience it might not get you what you're looking for.

Try local companies and ask if they would allow you to get some experience with them for a day or two a week, at least if it's local you won't be paying out to travel etc. Some will reimburse you for things like lunch too.

Thanks.
Reply 16
Would you consider an Marketing, Advertisement and PR a good course? Or a pointless one which doesn't really need or count as a degree? Plus where is the best place to study marketing?
Original post by samantha67
Hi, I'm currently running a marketing competition for my company to help aspiring 'madmen' build up their portfolio and of course to further advertise the company. I was searching the internet to promote it when I came across your post.

I totally agree with everything you have said! You put it across incredibly comprehensively and I just wanted to re-iterate the point that you don't have to have qualifications.

What we look for is a candidate who clearly puts their message across and who understands our target audience. Talent impresses us much more qualifications!!!

If you have no experience to prove your worth draw up your own adverts or press releases etc.

We all know a good ad when we see one but it takes someone special to make one! If you have the talent don't let anything stand in your way!

Hello! :smile: I am thinking of doing this and showcasing my work in a blog. What do you advise? Any tips? I'm a particularly interested in doing press releases.
Reply 18
Hi guys,

New on the job search, been going to a couple of job interviews recently, better than what I thought... what about you guys?

best,

Eddie
This is a very insightful post and will help many. Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending