The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilie18
Even if they had equal amounts of pressure (which I don't think they do), girls experience this pressure way earlier on than guys do. Which makes it a lot more detrimental - when girls of 6, 7 years old think they need to diet, something's clearly wrong.

Do they? Where are your sources for this other than anecdotal evidence?
Reply 61
Original post by Cheech23
Reading a few threads on here related to what boys prefer, and there was a few pictures of girls who looked insanely good looking, tight curvacous bums and quite frankly are really attractive.

What I cant quite seem to gather is the fact that as soon as there are pictures of girls like this it is automatically - PHOTOSHOPPED!!! REAL GIRLS ARENT LIKE THAT.

So real girls arent attractive?

It is easily achieveable to get bodies like that, goin a gym work hard and with some determination it WILL happen. Over time of course, but it WILL happen. Not everything is photoshopped.

Thats quite disrespectful to all the girls that have put in the work to achieve those types of body shapes. Now im not saying that photoshopping doesnt exist as it does, but dont assume that everything is photoshopped.

When you say real girls - is that slightly overweight, and droopy ass bum cheeks as im sorry girls that isnt attractive.

Its the same for muscular guys and skinny guys, youd choose the muscular guy over the skinny guy every time so dont get annoyed when guys are going gaga over girls with attractive bums and boobs.

Hate the term "real" as a substitute for less attractive almost as if the other girls are fake just because they've put in the hard work.

Im sorry but the "real" girl to me is someone who has chosen to better themselves and doesnt moan or complain or put other girls down based on their appearance, (im not saying i wont go out with someone who hasnt but id prefer someone who actually takes care of themselves) they may be better looking but they arent dis-respectful to girls who havent done the hard work. It almost comes across as very bitter/jealous when other girls say that they arent real. Believe me if you had a chance to wake up the next day with the same body you will NOT refuse.

I work out, I lift an I eat well, do I look anything like these girls perceived as 'photoshopped'? Hell no, do I have attractive legs? Hell no.

Am I muscular, yes.

You have to have the right bone structure and metabolism for that sort of ****. It is unrealistic to say that is achievable for everyone.

Also I would like to add based on physicality alone I will go for the skinny guy 9 times out of ten.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redpanda41
You've never met a 'normal, pleasant' woman?

Not an English one.

May I suggest the problem may be with you and not with half of the UK's entire population. You are clearly suffering from an extreme case of confirmation bias. I would also argue that society would only benefit if people studied subjects they were truly passionate about instead of subjects chosen purely to enhance their own money making potential. Learning for the sake of learning is something that should be applauded, not belittled!

EDIT: Just to add, if you've never met a 'normal' woman, does this not suggest that what you understand the word 'normal' to mean, simply by definition, has to be wrong?

Of course, the problem is with me even though all the figures are in my favour because a society that causes 62% of people to become overweight is a good one :rolleyes: You're somewhat proving the OPs title to be very true.
Umhum, because we need more people unemployed/underemployed rather than increasing exports and having financial freedoms :rofl: Again, proving OP to be right. Girls have this obsession with getting the job, not a job...and this always fails.

Original post by Pigling
The majority of men over 16 are overweight or obese in the UK. Obesity is an endemic health problem across society. This is a concern because of morbidity and mortality - in which both categories men are statistically worse off than women.

Due to bmi being useless for muscle mass as every rugby player counts as overweight or obese. Also care to pull up the figures on men and women doing sports? :giggle:

"The vast majority of women don't try with degrees that give good careers?" - what is that Jimbo? Just your opinion? According to you, this is grounds for the "modern woman" beng lazy despite the fact that women's entry in tertiary education is higher than it has ever been and continues to grow? If you think women are not as successful careers-wise as men, might you try to think of some reasons which aren't as plain dumb as "because modern women are lazy" - particularly as again, the presence of women in high paid/successful careers is higher than ever and rising.

Oh hey, look at this! Apparently all degrees are equal, all jobs are the same, and we live on a cloud made from candy and communism! Oh wait...
Just find the figures on how few women do sciences at uni and then come back and apologise for being misinformed.

Additionally, depression as a mental health issue isn't something that should be used to criticise or stigmatise. It is a sad reflection of your ignorance that you would think it is. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with depression, men are more likely to commit suicide without a diagnosis of depression - perhaps this is a reflection of gendered stigma and societal expectations which suggest that depression is a women's problem. Why don't you think on it before you make casual, but potentially harmful statements.

When depression is self inflicted rather than due to bad circumstances, I will fairly stigmatise the person. Mummy and daddy are well paid professionals who support their child all the way through uni. buy them a car, etc etc, not methed up crack whores and gun toting idiots.
The "men kill themselves more" is just distorted figures by feminists. Women actually attempt suicide more, guys are just more successful.

1) Yes I expect respect. I'm not surprised that there are people like you quite happy to generalise and insult perfect strangers on the grounds of their gender, but I'm happy to rule you into a rather strange and unfortunate minority which I must do my best to tolerate.

Then you are deluded. You have to earn respect regardless of gender. Again, more comments from girls which are making OP look like a genius and prophet in what he said.
Yup I'm a minority. I'm not fat, but in good shape, good career, and did a good degree and a good uni. Damn, if only I was like everyone else....

2) If you are aware that "not all are like this" then perhaps you shouldn't give statements such as "the modern woman is" or "women are", or the "vast majority of women are" when you know them to be false generalisations.

I would happily argue that every English girl whos heritage is English is like that. Why? Because of experience. I'm not basing it on anything else but what I and everyone I know has experienced. Now explain to me how that is stupid or a bad idea?

3) If you struggle to have normal, pleasant interactions with women - might I suggest that some aspect of your attitude, perception* or presentation is the problem?

Oh I have no problem, they are the ones who are hostile, fearful, aggressive, inadequate etc. How many times have you had guys utterly freak out when they have to talk to you and just look like a deer in headlights or would rather sit in silence than make polite conversation because god forbid, you talk to a guy without trying to hit on them :rolleyes: This is why I love foreign women. They understand this thing called conversation. They say something interesting, you reply, and you go from there. Hell, I've had the best conversations with foreign women and English is not even their first or second language! But again, always the guys fault, never the womans.

*Eg: only earlier today I saw you comment on a thread at how pleasant and ideal a girl was, yet you already appear to have forgotten this in order to fuel your "there are no/hardly any nice women" campaign. I imagine the greatest torment resulting from this victim complex is your own. It's distressing to see someone who is so wrapped up in negativity. I hope one day that you meet a normal, pleasant girl of your own, can see it, and realise how wrong you are.

Really? What post was that as I certainly don't remember it :biggrin:
I'm sure I'll meet someone pleasant and I know they won't be English. Also I would rather strive to be with someone I like than settle and be miserable with someone I dislike out of being desperate to be with someone.

Original post by Eveiebaby
Armani aren't considered on the pulse of fashion anymore, as are a lot of Italian designers who had their heydays in the 90s. Come on Jimbo. Try harder. That aesthetic is OLD

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1350&bih=875&q=most+successful+male+fashion+models&oq=most+successful+male+fashion+models&gs_l=img.12...1058.1058.0.2233.1.1.0.0.0.0.81.81.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.5.img.eyQBlqyw-mc

Slim and still BEAUTIFUL. Having one idea about male physicality is narrowminded. Just because I dont conform to your belief doesnt make me fat and ugly. I don't prioritise looks over personality anyway. If you have read any of my posts (which i can patently see you haven't), you'd have read that I'm dating someone who's athletic and broad despite my preferences for a more boyish look. Because he's kind and gentlemanly. And I think that emotions are not a bad thing. Men just arent socially encouraged to be emotional.

They're still jacked :facepalm:

I do wish girls would stop saying "real" when they mean "average".

To be fair for a girl to have the best physique she can, it does not require huge amounts of effort. It mainly requires a healthy balanced diet and to not run persistent calorie deficits. Other than that, girls are for the most part stuck with the hips, boobs and legs their genetics gave them. For girls what matters is bone structure and where you store your fat.

Men on the other hand have to put a huge amount of effort to have the best physiques they can. It requires a healthy diet for a long time but also lots of intense exercise and a sound training program.

An average girl could achieve the best physique possible for them in less than 6 months I would think. Without any intense training program. Whilst a guy probably needs at least 2 years with an intense training program to build all of that muscle.

This obsession with girls bodies is pretty silly in my opinion. What matters much more is a girls face. In fact I am pretty convinced I give girls with pretty faces more favorable judgement over their bodies than their uglier counterparts. I can think of pretty girls with no boobs or ass who I still consider to have hot bodies whilst uglier girls I am more critical of the absence of boobs and ass.
Reply 65
Original post by Jimbo1234

Due to bmi being useless for muscle mass as every rugby player counts as overweight or obese. Also care to pull up the figures on men and women doing sports? :giggle:

Did you not read what I said? Obesity is a problem because of morbidity and mortality - problems which are statistically greater in men than women. "Healthy high BMI" (a myth for ordinary people, which is exactly why BMI is a useful population measure) has nothing to do with this, and doesn't change this raw fact. Are you really trying to argue obesity is a greater problem in women, despite the fact it causes more associated disability and death in men?

When depression is self inflicted

There is nothing I can say to this(!) Beyond words.

You have to earn respect regardless of gender

Respect should be earned or lost based on merit. Whereas I have appeared to have lost your respect simply for being female and English. It's a matter of opinion, but in mine, that makes your respect or lack thereof utterly worthless.

I would happily argue that every English girl whos heritage is English is like that. Why? Because of experience.

Why do I bother? That you could say something so ludicrous shows how warped you and your "experiences" are.

I am
a) English
b) A girl
c) In shape
d) Studying medicine
e) Not depressed
f) By all accounts, a nice person.

So you have met one (no doubt countless more as anyone can see that you persistently blank out friendly, pleasant English girls who exist aplenty on TSR) English girl who isn't "lazy", "apathetic", "depressed", "fat", or "unpleasant" - unless you qualify unpleasant as disagreeing with your misogyny, in which case, guilty as charged.

If you'll excuse me, I have better things to do than to speak with you any further. Particularly as you seem to be beyond reason, and will no doubt write me off for one reason or another, regardless of what I have to say for myself. I'd like to reiterate my hope that you will find out how wrong you are and become a less negative person, but unfortunately I doubt that's something that can be achieved by an online discussion.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't have the patience to reply to all your points but for someone who seems fixated with finding 'normal, pleasant women' you don't seem at all pleasant yourself. Also I would like to see the research that shows depression is 'self inflicted', because it clearly isn't. I find it hilarious how you use 'statistics' to beat everyone down with yet come out with absurd and unsubstantiated arguments left right and centre... fyi making wild assumptions you deduce from random statistics is not rational, logical or scientific. It's infantile.

My conclusion: you are either a narcissist, a psychopath, or a troll.

Or have a look at my post volume and maybe realise that no one asks for evidence because I have always supplied them with copious amounts from highly legitimate sources?
And why am I not pleasant? Because I'm not impressed with modern women? That means I have standards, nothing else :redface:

But as sources, I'll give you something a bit more tasty:

http://sciencefocus.com/feature/health/deadly-rise-depression
So what’s causing this explosion of unhappiness? What is it about the modern age that is so mentally destructive? Probably the biggest factor is known as ‘westernisation’. In places where people still adhere to traditional lifestyles, rates of depression are incredibly low when it can be recorded. But as soon as these cultures are westernised, depression goes up. Why? Because people’s roles become less well-defined, relationships are more likely to break down, the workplace becomes more unpredictable and communities are more likely to fragment. There is also an unprecedented level of information and choice, which can lead to confusion. “Not knowing your place in society and having too much choice causes stress,” says Professor Ronald Duman of Yale University, a leading expert on the neurology of depression. “If you can’t cope with that stress, it can be a major factor in causing depression.”

Now go read this:

[quote]For Hegel, the unhappy consciousness is divided against itself, separated from its “essence”, which it has placed in a “beyond”. Marx used essentially the same notion to portray the situation of modern individuals especially modern wage labourers who are deprived of a fulfilling mode of life because their life-activity, as socially productive agents, is devoid of any sense of communal action or satisfaction, and gives them no ownership over their own lives or their products. In modern society, individuals are alienated, in so far as their common human essence, the actual co-operative activity which naturally unites them, is power-less in their lives, which are subject to an inhuman power created by them, but separating and dominating them instead of being subject to their united will. This is the power of the market, which is “free” only in the sense that it is beyond the control of its human creators, enslaving them by separating them from one another, from their activity, and from its products. The German verbs entäussern and entfremden are reflexive, and, in both Hegel and Marx, alienation is always fundamentally self-alienation. Fundamentally, to be alienated is to be separated from one’s own essence, or nature; it is to be forced to lead a life in which that nature has no opportunity to be fulfilled or actualized. In this way, the experience of ‘alienation’ involves a sense of a lack of self-worth, and an absence of meaning in one’s life./quote]

Now take a guess when that was written? :redface:
So yes, wanting that Ipad, wanting that phone whilst ignoring your family is going to drive you into the ground.

Original post by Pigling
Did you not read what I said? Obesity is a problem because of morbidity and mortality - problems which are statistically greater in men than women. "Healthy high BMI" (a myth for ordinary people, which is exactly why BMI is a useful population measure) has nothing to do with this, and doesn't change this raw fact. Are you really trying to argue obesity is a greater problem in women, despite the fact it causes more associated disability and death in men?

Physically, it's a bigger problem for men because as you'll know, how and where fat is stored in men as opposed to women. But what about mentally? We all know women are more self conscious than men, so how is this affecting them?

There is nothing I can say to this(!) Beyond words.

So why, in a country that has it so easy, are we so miserable? Because we have food, homes, and parents? Wow...
(also go read above reply)

Respect should be earned or lost based on merit. Whereas I have appeared to have lost your respect simply for being female and English. It's a matter of opinion, but in mine, that makes your respect or lack thereof utterly worthless.

You contradict yourself :s-smilie: You say you have to earn it, then act as if you have earned, then lost it. This is not the case. I just would be surprised if you did earn my respect and were an English woman. But just for the record, I have this approach to everyone.

Why do I bother? That you could say something so ludicrous shows how warped you and your "experiences" are.

I am
a) English
b) A girl
c) In shape
d) Studying medicine
e) Not depressed
f) By all accounts, a nice person.

So you have met one (no doubt countless more as anyone can see that you persistently blank out friendly, pleasant English girls who exist aplenty on TSR) who isn't "lazy", "apathetic", "depressed", "fat", or "unpleasant" - unless you qualify unpleasant as disagreeing with your misogyny, in which case, guilty as charged.

Well if only a had a penny every time a girl said they were in shape when what they meant is "not fat" :rofl: And no, I have not met one as this is the internet. For all I know you are a 300lb fat guy from Poland :awesome: Only if I met someone like this face to face, and was able to judge them myself (as most people are biased as hell) would I then say I have met one girl who isn't a mess.
Also go get a dictionary as what I have said is not misogynistic, unless recalling experience and figures, and clearly saying one group, not a gender, is a real pain to deal with :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Or have a look at my post volume and maybe realise that no one asks for evidence because I have always supplied them with copious amounts from highly legitimate sources?
And why am I not pleasant? Because I'm not impressed with modern women? That means I have standards, nothing else :redface:

But as sources, I'll give you something a bit more tasty:

http://sciencefocus.com/feature/health/deadly-rise-depression

Now go read this:

or Hegel, the unhappy consciousness is divided against itself, separated from its “essence”, which it has placed in a “beyond”. Marx used essentially the same notion to portray the situation of modern individuals especially modern wage labourers who are deprived of a fulfilling mode of life because their life-activity, as socially productive agents, is devoid of any sense of communal action or satisfaction, and gives them no ownership over their own lives or their products. In modern society, individuals are alienated, in so far as their common human essence, the actual co-operative activity which naturally unites them, is power-less in their lives, which are subject to an inhuman power created by them, but separating and dominating them instead of being subject to their united will. This is the power of the market, which is “free” only in the sense that it is beyond the control of its human creators, enslaving them by separating them from one another, from their activity, and from its products. The German verbs entäussern and entfremden are reflexive, and, in both Hegel and Marx, alienation is always fundamentally self-alienation. Fundamentally, to be alienated is to be separated from one’s own essence, or nature; it is to be forced to lead a life in which that nature has no opportunity to be fulfilled or actualized. In this way, the experience of ‘alienation’ involves a sense of a lack of self-worth, and an absence of meaning in one’s life.

Now take a guess when that was written? :redface:
So yes, wanting that Ipad, wanting that phone whilst ignoring your family is going to drive you into the ground.

That's not self-inflicted though is it, more the impact of modern society on individuals. It's interesting that the article makes the point that "despite the fact that incomes have more than doubled in the UK and US over the last 50 years, we are no happier, maybe even less happy", yet you say that women should do degrees to get higher paid careers instead of personal enjoyment. "Wanting that Ipad, wanting that phone whilst ignoring your family" are all side effects of modern capitalism that teaches us it's better to be rich than to be happy.
Reply 68

So why, in a country that has it so easy, are we so miserable? Because we have food, homes, and parents? Wow...

Wow indeed.

You have no understanding of depression as a psychiatric condition. It is not a rational state of mind based on rational needs not being met.

Your interpretation of those media articles is utterly simplified and wrong on so many levels. Depression is a huge, burdensome, and often life-limiting condition in developing countries as much, if not more so than in the West. Yes, societal factors and stress factors play a part in he West - I don't know how you have linked this to individual blame, however.
Try working with, speaking to, or even reading about people who have depression, who btw can come from all walks of life, before you act like you have any real understanding of the subject. You don't.
That's not self-inflicted though is it, more the impact of modern society on individuals. It's interesting that the article makes the point that "despite the fact that incomes have more than doubled in the UK and US over the last 50 years, we are no happier, maybe even less happy", yet you say that women should do degrees to get higher paid careers instead of personal enjoyment. "Wanting that Ipad, wanting that phone whilst ignoring your family" are all side effects of modern capitalism that teaches us it's better to be rich than to be happy.

Yes and no.
Money makes life easier, which makes you happier due to less stress, However not realising this and then finding what makes you happy is what makes you depressed. Many women fail at both, and you'll see this a lot come post graduation.

Original post by Pigling
Wow indeed.

You have no understanding of depression as a psychiatric condition. It is not a rational state of mind based on rational needs not being met.

Your interpretation of those media articles is utterly simplified and wrong on so many levels. Depression is a huge, burdensome, and often life-limiting condition in developing countries as much, if not more so than in the West. Yes, societal factors and stress factors play a part in he West - I don't know how you have linked this to individual blame, however.
Try working with, speaking to, or even reading about people who have depression, who btw can come from all walks of life, before you act like you have any real understanding of the subject. You don't.

:curious: How many people have you dealt with how suffer from depression and why do I have the feeling you have only read about it from textbooks, and outdated ones at that? Eg. the West has, by a large amount, more rates of depression than developing nations. And I have met and dealt with many people who have depression, most of it stemming from a sense of hopelessness and being lost in modern society for men, and standard atypical depression for most women I have met.
Reply 70

:curious: How many people have you dealt with how suffer from depression and why do I have the feeling you have only read about it from textbooks, and outdated ones at that? Eg. the West has, by a large amount, more rates of depression than developing nations. And I have met and dealt with many people who have depression, most of it stemming from a sense of hopelessness and being lost in modern society for men, and standard atypical depression for most women I have met.

1) My mother has had depression, my grandmother has had depression, one of my housemates has had depression.
2) I have seen many patients in primary (GP), secondary (mental health clinic) and tertiary care (mental health hospital ward) with depression, developing a clinical relationship with them in some cases over a period of months. I have seen (and in some cases participated) in the diagnosis, the therapy, the discussions with relatives, spoken to patients about their disease and recovery, etc
3) I have been taught about the nature and diagnosis of depression, and I am expected to diagnose, risk assess and know the management steps of depression under examination conditions.
4) I have conducted some basic research on depression myself
5) I have read the textbooks, and they weren't out of date, I have access to the latest editions from hospital libraries
6) I have had teaching and discussion from mental health professionals on depression
7) I helped to organise and attended a lecture delivered by MSF on the problem of tackling depression in the developing world, and I can assure you it is very real.

Do you want to continue disputing our relative experience and knowledge?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Classical Liberal

To be fair for a girl to have the best physique she can, it does not require huge amounts of effort. It mainly requires a healthy balanced diet and to not run persistent calorie deficits.

I'm afraid I strongly disagree. You say that because you equate a good female physique or the 'best she can be' as one with little to no muscle definition and just being slim. Being slim is not a particularly the best physique for women just as being lean is not particularly the best physique for men even though it isn't bad and is still accepted by most women to be really good.

Yes men have to work hard but their bodies are already predisposed for building muscle whereas women (some more than others granted) are predisposed towards fat storage. If a woman were to be the best she can be she'd have a body like Jessica Ennis. It's is proportionately just as hard for a woman to get a physique like that as it for a man to get a generic muscular physique.

Don't confuse your own picture of an 'ideal' woman as the pinnacle of fitness.
Reading a few threads on here related to what boys prefer, and there was a few pictures of girls who looked insanely good looking, tight curvacous bums and quite frankly are really attractive.

What I cant quite seem to gather is the fact that as soon as there are pictures of girls like this it is automatically - PHOTOSHOPPED!!! REAL GIRLS ARENT LIKE THAT.

So real girls arent attractive?

It is easily achieveable to get bodies like that, goin a gym work hard and with some determination it WILL happen. Over time of course, but it WILL happen. Not everything is photoshopped.

Thats quite disrespectful to all the girls that have put in the work to achieve those types of body shapes. Now im not saying that photoshopping doesnt exist as it does, but dont assume that everything is photoshopped.

When you say real girls - is that slightly overweight, and droopy ass bum cheeks as im sorry girls that isnt attractive.

Its the same for muscular guys and skinny guys, youd choose the muscular guy over the skinny guy every time so dont get annoyed when guys are going gaga over girls with attractive bums and boobs.

Hate the term "real" as a substitute for less attractive almost as if the other girls are fake just because they've put in the hard work.

Im sorry but the "real" girl to me is someone who has chosen to better themselves and doesnt moan or complain or put other girls down based on their appearance, (im not saying i wont go out with someone who hasnt but id prefer someone who actually takes care of themselves) they may be better looking but they arent dis-respectful to girls who havent done the hard work. It almost comes across as very bitter/jealous when other girls say that they arent real. Believe me if you had a chance to wake up the next day with the same body you will NOT refuse.

Sorry to have to ask but... I dont really understanding what youre asking?
Is this just one massive rant?
X
Reply 73
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
Sorry to have to ask but... I dont really understanding what youre asking?
Is this just one massive rant?
X

Yeah, I think I just ranted, that girls who dont look like that, say that its photoshopped, like its some sort of out of this world possibility, and that I hate the term "real woman" when it comes to girls who dont achieve that look.

Think I opened a can of worms, theres debate of depression and what not in here. Stay out of that.

My Rep has taken a battering now. -1 now :frown: Ahwell such is life. lol
Reply 74
Yeah, I think I just ranted, that girls who dont look like that, say that its photoshopped, like its some sort of out of this world possibility, and that I hate the term "real woman" when it comes to girls who dont achieve that look.

Think I opened a can of worms, theres debate of depression and what not in here. Stay out of that.

I'm sorry :frown:
This is a seriously heated thread. Everyone has their own preferences I guess, and there's more than enough pressure on guys and girls at this age these days ...lets all calm down and go to bed:smile:

My Rep has taken a battering now. -1 now :frown: Ahwell such is life. lol

Put you back in green...at least for now that is...
Reply 77
Original post by Pigling
I'm sorry :frown:
- Thats ok, No Worries! :smile:

Original post by Ice Constricter
Put you back in green...at least for now that is...
- Cheers buddy!! Im just over the edge, like you say, not safe just yet! haha
Original post by SillyMilly
I think alot of women feel pressured, I know that ive struggled with my weight being a tall girl im alot heavier than my small friends. I think its a case of the grass is always greener on the otherside if your lucky enough to be very slender then maybe youd envy say women who are a bit bigger for a certain reason I dont know a bigger bum or something and if your a bigger women you may envy the smaller girls for their toned tummies or what not. I think media has alot to do with this you open a magazine and every single womens magazine has an article on 'the perfect body' 'how to diet' its everywhere you look.

There is far to much pressure on women everybody is different im 5ft11 so I weigh 10 stone yet my 5ft2 friend weighs 7 stone it doesnt mean im fat and shes skinny or it doesnt mean shes to underweight and im perfect or what not. I think we all need to realise women have different bodies we should just embrace who and what we are aslong as your happy and healthy who cares

Im confused as to why I got negged for saying every person should be happy with how there are and find something good about them or we're going to end up in a society of insecure self conscience people
Original post by Pigling
1) My mother has had depression, my grandmother has had depression, one of my housemates has had depression.
2) I have seen many patients in primary (GP), secondary (mental health clinic) and tertiary care (mental health hospital ward) with depression, developing a clinical relationship with them in some cases over a period of months. I have seen (and in some cases participated) in the diagnosis, the therapy, the discussions with relatives, spoken to patients about their disease and recovery, etc
3) I have been taught about the nature and diagnosis of depression, and I am expected to diagnose, risk assess and know the management steps of depression under examination conditions.
4) I have conducted some basic research on depression myself
5) I have read the textbooks, and they weren't out of date, I have access to the latest editions from hospital libraries
6) I have had teaching and discussion from mental health professionals on depression
7) I helped to organise and attended a lecture delivered by MSF on the problem of tackling depression in the developing world, and I can assure you it is very real.

Do you want to continue disputing our relative experience and knowledge?

So if you have such experience, then you how did you not see the differences in the causes, the people, and the triggers? From those who are bipolar, those with personality disorders, and those who become depressed through having a despondent disposition and being ungrateful for having a (relative) good life, the majority being the latter? (eg ~30% of girls at York uni suffering from depression and like hell they had actual problems or mental differences to the average person)

And no, this is not rhetorical. How did you not see the differences and how it is such a crappy umbrella medical term?

Latest