The Student Room Group

finding the value of x

2x2 = 72

find the value of x

someone please help its a gcse question :smile:
divide both sides by 2, then take the square root of both sides.

There's a separate forum for Maths:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 2
As above, and dont forget about the negative value of x when you square root.
Original post by WildBerry
As above, and dont forget about the negative value of x when you square root.

Although you are absolutely correct, failure to consider the negative value will not cost a mark at GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Although you are absolutely correct, failure to consider the negative value will not cost a mark at GCSE.

So at GCSE level, quadratic equations only have one root? What a farce. I am near sure that this wasn't the case when I did my GCSE 11 years ago.
Original post by Mark85
So at GCSE level, quadratic equations only have one root? What a farce. I am near sure that this wasn't the case when I did my GCSE 11 years ago.

They only insist on one root for x2=kx^2 = k but two roots for a three term quadratic which is admittedly a bit peculiar.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M

Although you may be correct, id write plus minus 6 just to be safe.
Reply 7
Original post by yoitsro

He is a teacher, they are never wrong!!!
Original post by yoitsro

Well, if it occurs to the OP to do so, that would obviously be the best course of action. The fact that they didn't know how to answer this question suggests that they might not remember.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
They only insist on one root for x2=kx^2 = k but two roots for a three term quadratic which is admittedly a bit peculiar.

So is it any surprise to you that there are students on here who find the transition to A level a complete nightmare and have fundamental gaps in their algebraic manipulation skills??
Original post by davros
So is it any surprise to you that there are students on here who find the transition to A level a complete nightmare and have fundamental gaps in their algebraic manipulation skills??

Is that a rhetorical question?
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M
Is that a rhetorical question?

Just being provocative to see what sort of response I'd elicit!

There's no need to answer :smile:
Original post by Noble.
He is a teacher, they are never wrong!!!

I'm not saying this isn't true in this case, but I have met some teachers who are barely teachers and are often very wrong, it is not uncommon for a teacher to be wrong and make mistakes.
Original post by davros

omg!!111 lissen up blud, it aint cos i aint got no gaps in ma skillz, its cuz a-level mathz is bare ard innit
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Nathan0012
I'm not saying this isn't true in this case, but I have met some teachers who are barely teachers and are often very wrong, it is not uncommon for a teacher to be wrong and make mistakes.

It wasn't a serious comment. :smile:
Original post by Noble.
It wasn't a serious comment. :smile:

That did occur to me just after I posted... It did sound a bit sarcastic. Although I think I have a valid point.
Original post by Felix Felicis
omg!!111 lissen up blud, it aint cos i aint got no gaps in ma nolege, its cuz a-level mathz is bare ard innit

Thanks for making my day :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Felix Felicis
omg!!111 lissen up blud, it aint cos i aint got no gaps in ma skillz, its cuz a-level mathz is bare ard innit

dnt worry bro - as long as u cn name 3 thingz u wd do in an indian restaurant u will get da A* innit man
Reply 18
Original post by confuzzled92
divide both sides by 2, then take the square root of both sides.

There's a separate forum for Maths:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

thank you for your help

Quick Reply

Latest