The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revising for Summer exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LZS
How comes? Do you take in and remember things more if you write notes instead of reading?

For something to register in your memory you'll need to 'process it'
Reading isn't processing it's only in your short-term memory as you're just reading it not much.

Writing down is more effective because:
You're reading a sentence, - Taken into short-term memory...
You're now thinking about it over and over again, - Processing... Into long-term memory
Now you write it down in your OWN words - Here you have processed it!
Now you're most likely to read it and compare to the text book - Cross referencing
Then you move on...

Look at what you're doing compared to 'just reading'
Reply 41
Original post by 3mmz
Awww thanks

I am just hoping i have enough time since i have to do retakes and the A2 exams!
I'm gonna buy this sociology revision guide which gives you points on how to write the essay style questions!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0954007980/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
I agree reading the text book, making notes and reading them again seems to be the most common way that people seem to say works for them!

Make sure you have the officially endorsed one too, they're very helpful :smile: however AQA endorsed ones tend to be awful at times as they're very horribly worded :/

And it is the best way but you must make it effective.
Wel kinda revising. So organising everything and making my revision notes condensed basically!
Reply 43
Original post by westarmy
To be honest with you mate, revise now. Get it ALL out of the way, relax and smooth the ride for the exams

That's a great way of thinking about it. Thanks mate!
I started the moment I finished January exams :L
But I know the pace is going to pick up as the exams loom in may/june
Original post by LZS
How many hours of revision per day are you aiming to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 hours on weekdays and 6-8 on weekends.
Reply 46
LZS
OP
For something to register in your memory you'll need to 'process it'
Reading isn't processing it's only in your short-term memory as you're just reading it not much.

Writing down is more effective because:
You're reading a sentence, - Taken into short-term memory...
You're now thinking about it over and over again, - Processing... Into long-term memory
Now you write it down in your OWN words - Here you have processed it!
Now you're most likely to read it and compare to the text book - Cross referencing
Then you move on...

Look at what you're doing compared to 'just reading'

Thank you so much, after reading what you have said you've really motivated me to start revising right now. Literally never been this motivated to revise in my life, I actually want to! I know this is probably short term but I now know how to revise and if I put the work in, I'll benefit from it. Thank you again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by LZS
Thank you so much, after reading what you have said you've really motivated me to start revising right now. Literally never been this motivated to revise in my life, I actually want to! I know this is probably short term but I now know how to revise and if I put the work in, I'll benefit from it. Thank you again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you want to do? Because what you want to do or become that can also be part of you motivation...
For example, I want to do medicine so each time I'm revising then I always think I'm doing this to get into medicine I am going to become a surgeon and NO ONE is gonna stop me :smile:

Original post by slybastard
That's a great way of thinking about it. Thanks mate!

No problem lol :smile:
Reply 48
LZS
OP
What do you want to do? Because what you want to do or become that can also be part of you motivation...
For example, I want to do medicine so each time I'm revising then I always think I'm doing this to get into medicine I am going to become a surgeon and NO ONE is gonna stop me :smile:

I'm not sure, something to do with Economics, a job in the City. I chose irrelevant subjects for this though; Economics, English Language, ICT, Spanish and World Development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I've started my revision. I always find I do better the longer I revise for, but that's just me and I have a very bad memory haha! I also feel very overwhelmed if I leave my revision and I prefer to take it at a slower pace so starting early works for me. That said, others enjoy the pressure!
I probably ought to but my teachers literally won't stop setting us pointless work that we are learning nothing from. I would love to spend my time making my own notes and reading textbooks but I just don't have the time at the moment. I think I'm okay for maths, but the other subjects need a lot of work!!
Reply 51
After my results today I better get cracking..:frown:
Crickey. You guys start EARLY. I didn't revise for my GCSE's and I didn't properly start A level revision until approximately a week before the exams. Remember to have a life to! This 4 hours every evening of the week and 8 hours at weekends is crazy. If I'd revised that hard then there's no way I could have done a post grad I would have been bored and resentful of academics.
Reply 53
LZS
OP
Original post by sharonxo
After my results today I better get cracking..:frown:

What subjects are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
LZS
OP
Original post by PostgradMatt
Crickey. You guys start EARLY. I didn't revise for my GCSE's and I didn't properly start A level revision until approximately a week before the exams. Remember to have a life to! This 4 hours every evening of the week and 8 hours at weekends is crazy. If I'd revised that hard then there's no way I could have done a post grad I would have been bored and resentful of academics.

I'm like you, I can't revise until I'm close to the exam, like I just can't. I'm starting tonight though, just to see how I'll do after more prepared revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone taking CIE A levels this May/June?
I've been revising for my summer exams ever since my January exams finished - I have so many re-sits -.- - also, I constantly get nagged at to do revision
(edited 11 years ago)
At GCSE, I never touched any textbook, took any important notes down, read outside my subjects, paid attention, cared about my subjects or even know what the word 'revision' even means. Infact, I didn't even know what GCSEs and ALevels were and that I had exams ahead.

Now, at ALevel, I've transformed and it's kind of like a totally new me. I'm now managing 5 hours of work a week.
Will start from saturday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soohyun_hoon
I've been revising for my summer exams ever since my January exams finished - I have so many re-sits -.- - also, I constantly get nagged at to do revision

You get nagged to do revision, my parents disapprove. They said I do too much, when in reality, I don't.

Quick Reply

Latest