The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

getting in to LSE

hi guys, i am a student about to study A levels and was wondering if i am "worthy" of studying bsc in accounting and finance with my grades in GCSEs and if my combination for A levels is appropriate for LSE
for gcse i got:
maths A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Business (BTEC) two Distinction* equivalent to two A* in gcse
ICT (BTEC) two Distinction* equivalent to two A* in gcse
English language A
English literature A
Geography A
French A*
and for my A levels i am taking maths, Physics, economics and psychology
Yes, but it depends on the grades of your A levels too
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
ok lets assume i get 2 A* and 2 As can i get in or would i have to somehow throw away my personal life and live in the library to get 3 A* and 1 A, also i am considering that my PS is just average
Reply 3
be honest now, did you just do this to show off your GCSEs? :tongue:
Reply 4
haha, nah i am a very modest guy, and i actually hate getting complements for my work- i am a shy indian boy. but i mean i am just thinking, if i get good grades in my A levels but my PS is bad/average can i still get in to bsc in accounting and finance
Original post by Ash123kapur
ok lets assume i get 2 A* and 2 As can i get in or would i have to somehow throw away my personal life and live in the library to get 3 A* and 1 A, also i am considering that my PS is just average

Original post by Mathaddict
be honest now, did you just do this to show off your GCSEs? :tongue:

I don't think this is showing off GCSEs for a potential LSE applicant, they're probably pretty standard GCSEs for one.

You only need to hit whatever offer you get and you will have/not have this offer before getting your A level results, so getting 3A*s won't make much more difference than just scraping in, unless you plan to take a year out. You will need to get good AS results, AAAA preferably, although slightly lower would probably do with good grade predictions.

Make sure you can seem interested in the subject on your personal statement, maybe read around the subject a little.

The grades you currently have are good enough to apply with a chance of an offer, just make sure your AS results are good. You A level combination is fine, however I would take further maths over psychology, it would look slightly better, but if you don't want to take it then it's not needed.
Reply 6
Original post by TheIrrational
I don't think this is showing off GCSEs for a potential LSE applicant, they're probably pretty standard GCSEs for one.

You only need to hit whatever offer you get and you will have/not have this offer before getting your A level results, so getting 3A*s won't make much more difference than just scraping in, unless you plan to take a year out. You will need to get good AS results, AAAA preferably, although slightly lower would probably do with good grade predictions.

Make sure you can seem interested in the subject on your personal statement, maybe read around the subject a little.

The grades you currently have are good enough to apply with a chance of an offer, just make sure your AS results are good. You A level combination is fine, however I would take further maths over psychology, it would look slightly better, but if you don't want to take it then it's not needed.

Even with the highly increased number of A*s these days, there won't be many doing better than 5A*,3A, & 2 Double Distinctions.

OP, it might help to have a look at the Admissions profile on the website:smile:
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/accounting.aspx

Given the high applicant per place ratio, as TheIrrational has pointed out, a good Personal Statement is key, as there's no interview to sell yourself. I can't see you being knocked back for your GCSEs though. It might also be worth taking either English Lit or Geography to A Level instead of Psychology (if you think you could do well in either of these subjects, and don't want to do Further Maths)
Reply 7
good enough imo in GCSEs i got 5A* 3As 1B and i got an offer for maths and econ
Reply 8
I got 4A*s, 3As and 2bs at IGCSE

At AS Level I thinkk I will get AABB, and i plan on resitting modules to get the b from maths to an A and dropping the econ(B), continuing with my A's(Eng Lit & RS). Can anyone rate my chances?
Reply 9
Original post by Mathaddict
Even with the highly increased number of A*s these days, there won't be many doing better than 5A*,3A, & 2 Double Distinctions.

OP, it might help to have a look at the Admissions profile on the website:smile:
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/accounting.aspx

Given the high applicant per place ratio, as TheIrrational has pointed out, a good Personal Statement is key, as there's no interview to sell yourself. I can't see you being knocked back for your GCSEs though. It might also be worth taking either English Lit or Geography to A Level instead of Psychology (if you think you could do well in either of these subjects, and don't want to do Further Maths)

Psychology is a good course. Met lse admissions before getting in and they say its a good course. All my friends who took psych were admitted just like me. Your course combination is good. Work on your PS
Reply 10
Original post by Ash123kapur
hi guys, i am a student about to study A levels and was wondering if i am "worthy" of studying bsc in accounting and finance with my grades in GCSEs and if my combination for A levels is appropriate for LSE
for gcse i got:
maths A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Business (BTEC) two Distinction* equivalent to two A* in gcse
ICT (BTEC) two Distinction* equivalent to two A* in gcse
English language A
English literature A
Geography A
French A*
and for my A levels i am taking maths, Physics, economics and psychology

Your course combination for a levels is good. Work on ur PS
The LSE has a history of rejecting students with even top grades if there personal statements are average/poor. You have to have an excellent PS to be considered seriously by the LSE and frankly, it isn't that difficult to write an excellent PS if you do a bit of research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending