The Student Room Group

What Your News Doesn't Report - Yesterday over 30,000 children died...

Nearly 30,000 children died yesterday.

Today, nearly the same amount will die.

Tomorrow, another 30,000 children will die.

Last year, nearly TEN MILLION children died.

By the end of this year, nearly another TEN MILLION children will have died.

Does this not shock you? Have you ever been aware of such astronomical numbers (even though, nearly SIXTY MILLION people die every year anyway)?

So, whilst you go about your daily lives, just take a moment to reflect on that fact, that every 15 seconds a child dies; not to mention every second 2 people die.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I think everyone is aware of the amount of deaths per year, but what is the point in getting depressed over it, unfortunate to say it happens. Stop making the amount of children bold, were not flipping blind
Reply 2
If it happens each day it would have been old news by now. Once you dilute it so much people stop caring.

But think about it like this. If they had all lived where exactly would we have housed them all? We'd have had to urbanise the planet or have a portion of the population starve.
Original post by Robbie242
I think everyone is aware of the amount of deaths per year, but what is the point in getting depressed over it, unfortunate to say it happens. Stop making the amount of children bold, were not flipping blind

Original post by Genocidal
If it happens each day it would have been old news by now. Once you dilute it so much people stop caring.

But think about it like this. If they had all lived where exactly would we have housed them all? We'd have had to urbanise the planet or have a portion of the population starve.

I completely understand. I simply wanted to highlight the shocking figures.

Indeed, it does seem like a harsh reality - notwithstanding the fact that nearly 130 million children have died since the year 2000 - nearly the size of the population of the entire Russian Federation.

But I wouldn't be necessarily depressed about it - just more self-aware and wondering why people in developed countries complain about the silliest things.
Reply 4
Its not especially shocking, out of a population of several billion of course theres going to be children dying, whats your point?
Reply 5
Yes it is shocking, but the news isn't about what's shocking, it's about what's new.
Reply 6
I remember a front page from The Independent a few years back. It was the most effective front page I'd ever seen. It read:

NO NEWS TODAY

*Just tens of thousands of children died of a preventable disease in Africa.
Reply 7
Source?
Reply 8
I'm reminded of that fact when Oxfam / Save The Children adverts are on TV.
Reply 9
And what, if we intervened in every case all these children would never ever die?

Humans are not immortal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending