The Student Room Group

North Korea scrap all non-aggression pacts with South Korea

Scroll to see replies

They should just invade the South and get it over and done with, the US and SK would absolutely destroy them within a matter of months.
Original post by RatherJollyCheers
I'd like to think the United Kingdom would stay out of such a pointless war.

No war is pointless. International reputation is at stake.

Little kids in Uruguay will be watching the news, I don't want them thinking the UK is a pushover, and the North Koreans are champions, do you?

War without casualty is like a salad without water-cress.
Reply 22
Hopefully the reunification will happen soon then

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh dear God...

This will not end well.
Reply 24
SK have basically told them they will turn them into a crater should they even think about anything funny. Either way this is nothing particularly new; if they start getting mildly serious then the worst that might happen is having to get China to go in there and give them a good telling off.
Reply 25
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
I thought they had restricted access to the Internet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dennis Rodman was able to tweet from there. But because he's a national hero, maybe he gets special treatment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 419
Dennis Rodman was able to tweet from there. But because he's a national hero, maybe he gets special treatment.
He arrived just as Pyongyang got its first 3G network. I'm pretty sure like the USSR you don't get freedom of movement, you have to apply or be selected to live in Pyongyang and even then I would imagine access to the network is limited.

The North still seems to be pursing this, "give us what we want or we'll be aggressive" strategy, but there is a point where annoying becomes threatening. Gaining a nuclear weapon, and a delivering system, and then threatening a pre-emptive strike on the US really is backing the US and SK politicians into a corner where inaction becomes dangerous.

I doubt the UK would be involved in any potential conflict, what on earth would we contribute, the US and SK has all the armour, air power and man power it needs.
Reply 27
Normally, I'd say this was the usual hyperbolic sabre rattling - but supposedly they're terminated the 1953 armistice, which not even the Dear Leader's dear ancestors were dumb enough to do. I doubt they actually intend to invade the South; but this is definitely a turn for the worse.

Original post by RatherJollyCheers
I'd like to think the United Kingdom would stay out of such a pointless war.

The Korean peninsula isn't really our sphere of interest, but the prospect of a nuclear conflict concerns everybody.
I'd love to see how the North Koreans act when they find out that the Kims they are all brainwashed into loving, are the ones who made them suffer for all this time.
Reply 29
in practice, this means jack ****

north korea has been bull****ting over the years about how they'll do this and that, its all hot air
Original post by Farm_Ecology
They've said they will exercise their right to a pre-emptive strike. But I assume if they were planning on doing so, they would have done so already?

That'll be a no. That means they're saying that they're not playing out game. We've happily said that we'll never fire ours first..... Deterrent.

Theyve signalled an aggressive stance.

Anybody else happy we're replacing trident? I know I am.
Original post by Jack93o
in practice, this means jack ****

north korea has been bull****ting over the years about how they'll do this and that, its all hot air

New guy in charge. Failing economy. This is not normal behaviour
Reply 32
What, again?

Didn't they already do this in 2009?
Original post by mmmpie
Normally, I'd say this was the usual hyperbolic sabre rattling - but supposedly they're terminated the 1953 armistice, which not even the Dear Leader's dear ancestors were dumb enough to do. I doubt they actually intend to invade the South; but this is definitely a turn for the worse.

The Korean peninsula isn't really our sphere of interest, but the prospect of a nuclear conflict concerns everybody.

Global economy. It impacts us on so many levels.

nuclear missiles mean you don't have to just attack neighbouring country's anymore.

it threatens some major markets that we trade with. So it impacts on us.
Reply 34
Original post by MatureStudent36
New guy in charge. Failing economy. This is not normal behaviour

Their economy has been up the **** creek for decades now

I bet this time next year, everything would still be the same
Original post by Barksy
If they try anything they'll be wiped off the map and rightly so. It is just rhetoric again.

****ing hate communists.

Hitler was quite happy to destroy Germany to remain in power.

the ruling elite in Japan were quite happy to destroy their country to remain in power.

saddam was happy to destroy Iraq to stay in power.

the leadership in North Korea has nothing to loose.
Original post by Jack93o

Just pointing out that unstable irrational regimes react what may seem as rational. But irrational to us.

ignoring the problem won't make it go away. It's like living in an unstable house. It hasn't fallen down yet. It may not fall down in the future. But it may fall down and bury you.
Original post by bananaslug77
Yeah I'm really not rating this situation. Apparently they have named targets in the west sea. Not knowing what this is I googled it, to find the helpful answer;

"the west sea could refer to any of the following: *insert all oceans here*"

Fantastic... ****ing hate nuclear weapons. We will destroy ourselves with it.

They can serve peaceful purposes in astronomical mining.
Original post by Mr Makaveli
What would happen in this situation?:

-NK goes all out on South Korea,Pyongyang Shuts down all communications with other countries and invades South Korea by Force. (STAGE 1)

-China refuse to stop North Korea when asked by the US,simply saying that it is not in their interest or some other diplomatic reason.The other commie countries rally behind NK and South Korea begins to get surrounded on all sides.(STAGE 2)

-Russia backs China up if the USA begin to get heated (STAGE 3)

My 2 questions to everyone are-do you think North Korea could actually invade successfully invade South Korea? (With no one else involved)-South Korea has a lot of industries and is known for technology-this would seem reason enough for the NK to want to take it over (forgetting all the other hatred),WOuld it all be over after stage 1?

my other question is, lets say China gets tired of being pushed around by the UN and the US and stands by North Korea, would Russia back them up?

PS.
This is all theoretical and forgive us if any of these seem TOO far-fetched,i don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject and am quite interested due to recent events.

No, because China actually assisted in writing the security resolutions which proposed tougher sanctions. Along with Russia who voted for the resolution to be binding.
Original post by Jack93o

With the aid of huge sanctions. How are we going to enforce sanctions against them once they have a nuclear missile which can threaten entire continents?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending