The Student Room Group

Stuck on a 60 WPM barrier! HELP!

So I recently learn to type and now I have managed to reach an average of 60 WPM with an accuracy of 95%+. Now I've heard the advice that practice makes perfect etc. But is there any better advice.
Currently I practice by playing the online Nitrotype game and I do this almost daily.
I know that this speed is probably sluggish by most standards. But I only began learning 2-3 months ago, and at that time I could only manage around 30 WPM. Also I was bound to looking at the keyboard.
But now typing comes a lot more naturally and it flows. But I want to get even better.
Any advice

PS: I'm not too sure if this is even the right place for this type of thread.
Practice on this: http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

It takes year and years of use to get your WPM up but you'll get it eventually and become a touch typist without looking at the keyboard. 4 years ago, I was on 47WPM but now I can manage about 95WPM on my main keyboard with 95%+ accuracy without looking at the keyboard. You can't just expect to start typing at 60WPM+ after a few months of use. An average professional typists manage about 50-80WPM and advanced typists 120WPM. I can say after 8 years of daily typing, I can't reach 120WPM myself.

Why do you want to type that fast anyways?
Gaming. It's almost 3am in the morning and I'm shattered yet I was easily able to churn out ~97WPM at 96% + accuracy on the test linked above.
Reply 3
I've been typing for many years now but because I own a laptop, desktop and use a different PC at university and work, my touch typing hasn't been as good as I would like. Key is to practice as much as possible though - it's not something that can be rushed.

I only got 62wpm on the link above but my accuracy was >98% for keystrokes.
Reply 4
Original post by anthonyla65
Practice on this: http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

It takes year and years of use to get your WPM up but you'll get it eventually and become a touch typist without looking at the keyboard. 4 years ago, I was on 47WPM but now I can manage about 95WPM on my main keyboard with 95%+ accuracy without looking at the keyboard. You can't just expect to start typing at 60WPM+ after a few months of use. An average professional typists manage about 50-80WPM and advanced typists 120WPM. I can say after 8 years of daily typing, I can't reach 120WPM myself.

Why do you want to type that fast anyways?

Thanks, I've been using 10fastfingers for some time but I just think that it's not realistic as there are no full sentences; now I use nitrotype.com instead, it has sentences with lots of numbers and punctuation too.
I am thinking of perhaps finding work as a typist, as well as a hobby.
Reply 5
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Gaming. It's almost 3am in the morning and I'm shattered yet I was easily able to churn out ~97WPM at 96% + accuracy on the test linked above.

Wow that's great :O, how long have you been typing for?
Reply 6
Original post by Kyalimers
I've been typing for many years now but because I own a laptop, desktop and use a different PC at university and work, my touch typing hasn't been as good as I would like. Key is to practice as much as possible though - it's not something that can be rushed.

I only got 62wpm on the link above but my accuracy was >98% for keystrokes.

Thanks and my accuracy is pretty similar to yours.
Reply 7
65 wpm.pngI did this test and today i got 65 WPM and 2 incorrect keystrokes and 1 incorrect word.
Reply 8
65 wpm.pngI did the test on their website today and I got 65 WPM with 2 incorrect keystrokes and that gives 99.4%accuracy. Aside from practice are there any tips or tricks to shortcut words; I find that with words like that or the I don't even need to think about typing them. Is there a way to get more words like this to be as fluent.

I also wanted to know how on earth do audio typists type at the rate that people speak it just seems impossible to me...
Original post by YMB?
Wow that's great :O, how long have you been typing for?

Well, I've been using a computer for the past 9 or so years. It's just something that has built up over time. :smile:

It's not something I've ever purposely practiced though.
Well I was actually looking for some advice on how to improve my typing speed, but to be honest I just think I need a different and more ergonomic keyboard such as a mechanical keyboard. However on this old laptop I managed to score around 124 - 125. It's almost like I'm ambidextrous however my "main" hand is left but I can use my right hand just as well but I still more comfortable with my left hand. The weird part is that qwerty is set up so that the left hand can more than double the words than the right hand. What you really want to think about is having good posture and a secondary light source so that your eyes don't get tired whenever you practice. Furthermore you can't expect insane results after a few months. I've been "Practicing" for a few months now and I've only seen a 10 wpm increase in my typing.

I hope some of these "tips" helped you out, I attached some of the test results.

Udklip.PNG
GOML OMG.PNG
Reply 11
Had a go at this, need to practice more! :smile:

Reply 12
Hello.

As I just said in my intro post on site (pending thread) my hobby is touch typing. I can give you few advises.

1. Sit in a proper way. Straight back, foots on the floor.
2. Proper fingers position (home row).
3. DO NOT put wrists on desk or keyboard it slows you down.
4. Practice online.
5. Check your wpm at http://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ or http://play.typeracer.com/

Extra tip: do not practice more than 45 minutes a day.

Latest

Trending

Trending