The Student Room Group

York student fries a hamster

Scroll to see replies

To clarify a few things:

There would not be such an uproar if hamsters weren't fluffy and cute. If they looked like scorpions or Susan Boyle, there wouldn't even be a thread on this.

The judge ruled that there is insufficient evidence to suggest that the hamster died from the application of heat, and the bloke was sentenced on the basis that it died from "rough-handling", and was already dead before it hit the frying pan.

He studies politics. Any money he's the UKIP leader in the next 20 years.
It would be nice to think he'll get a kicking. Sadly, I think that's wishful thinking.

He's more likely to be celebrated as a proper LAD than vilified for it.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist

He studies politics. Any money he's the UKIP leader in the next 20 years.

What a pathetic attempt to tar UKIP's reputation.

There's nothing in the article that states his political views, and in all probability he's most likely a left wing twerp anyway.
Original post by Midlander
Nonsense. If that's the case then let's turn up to work steaming drunk every day.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What?

I was pertaining to the implication that a mad idea like this isn't highly unusual at all. Drunk or otherwise, no normal person would just come up with something like that. At least I and every person I know of wouldn't anyway.
Original post by Tortious
To clarify, I'm not talking about this case any more, but more generally.

"Innocent" means you didn't do it. "Not guilty" means that a jury wasn't satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that you did it. This encompasses "we think you probably did it but the prosecution hasn't shown that you did to the required standard". Apparently in Scotland they have a third possible verdict of "not proven" which overcomes this problem.

That clears it up a bit as honestly I thought they meant the same thing in the eyes of the law.
Original post by MalteseMalteser
A bit extreme to fry a hamster don't you think?

I don't think it justifies kicking him out of uni. Animals are killed every day for food if you would recall, and no one sees anything wrong with it. Also if you read the article they don't know if the hamster was killed before or after being fried, so we don't know if there was any suffering going on.

I know what he did was against the law, but I don't think the offense was big enough for him to get kicked out of uni. In fact, if I had to choose between the opportunity to finish my final year at university or torturing an innocent animal, I would definitely choose torturing an innocent animal. I think my future is more important than a rodent's life (don't we kill rodents every day in the most horrible ways possible? Mouse traps etc).
Guinea pigs are a delicacy in places like Peru.
Original post by arcturus7
Meat is an important part of human diet. We are omnivorous creatures; we have evolved canines and incisors specifically so that we can eat meat. Cruelty to animals is different to killing animals humanely to eat afterwards. Obviously not all meat is from free range animals who were killed humanely, but it's up to consumers to fight that. The difference is, this hamster was tortured and fried for FUN, not food, and that is disgusting. I bet you don't whine when a lion kills a zebra to eat, so why do you feel compelled to tell us about the evils of eating meat when we do the same thing?

I can disagree with this boys actions just as passionately as anyone else and still love the delicious taste of bacon.

We do not have to eat meat to be healthy and happy. A lion does. Cats cannot live healthily without meat. We can.
Reply 128
I think that's disgusting. There is never an excuse to fry a hamster. I might be wrong, but it makes me cross because it feels like people who do things like this are part of the reason why pets aren't allowed in halls. I'd really like a pet hamster or gerbil when I'm at uni :frown: x
Reply 129
Original post by Coffinman
There is that aspect but how many people are complaining about it from that angle instead of being unhealthily attached to small furry animals.

Anyway if it's ok for people pets to run around killing and eating the wildlife why is it not the same for people mad with the beer hunger?

It is bad because it is someones pet, and it was killed for no purpose. My girlfriend was devestated when her hamster died of old age, because she was emotionally attatched to it.

If it was killed for a genine reason, ie to eat, by its owner. Fine.
If it was killed for a genine reason, ie to eat, and its wildlife. Fine.
If it was killed for a genine reason, ie for safety (escaped dangerous zoo animal). Fine
If it was killed for no reason in an inhumane way, and it is a domesticated pet owned by someone else...? Not fine.

It doesn't matter what animal it is. Plenty of people have pigs as pets, they would be just as upset if you stole it and fried it allive!
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

There's nothing in the article that states his political views, and in all probability he's most likely a left wing twerp anyway.

All tongue in cheek, chap :tongue:.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

North Yorkshire is the most right wing part of Yorkshire though lol. Full of farm boys, rich folk, small towners, southerners middle class and rich kids. Skipton, Harrogate, York, etc etc... It's incredibly Tory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
North Yorkshire is the most right wing part of Yorkshire though lol. Full of farm boys, rich folk, small towners, southerners middle class and rich kids. Skipton, Harrogate, York, etc etc... It's incredibly Tory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tories are not really right wing. They do what is best for the conservation of their own wealth. They have no real political principles beyond self interest of the upper classes and upper middle classes (large business owners).

If it suits them to be left wing one day and right wing the next, they have no problems with that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Let's put it this way, if that was my Hamster he did that too, he would not be in a fit state to carry going to University as I would rip his tongue out!
Original post by Midlander
That clears it up a bit as honestly I thought they meant the same thing in the eyes of the law.

That's an interesting point, actually. There's the maxim "innocent until proven guilty", which would suggest that they are the same, but the problem with a lot of legal maxims is that they're a bit misleading because they're phrased as quotable sound bites. I guess what "innocent until proven guilty" means is that the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and it's not for the accused to prove his innocence - although there are two possible interpretations (with the other one being "if you're not guilty then you're innocent", which we've already established isn't entirely true).
Original post by Aeschylus
Pretty certain he got kicked out.

When I read this I was going 'please go to York st. John, please go to York st. John.... Awwwww...'

Not according to this he didn't (warning, contains picture of the hamster in question) http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2013/03/07/james-white-nearly-ate-my-hamster/
my hamster just died recently, this makes me sadder :\
Original post by Dragonfly07
I don't think it justifies kicking him out of uni. Animals are killed every day for food if you would recall, and no one sees anything wrong with it. Also if you read the article they don't know if the hamster was killed before or after being fried, so we don't know if there was any suffering going on.

I know what he did was against the law, but I don't think the offense was big enough for him to get kicked out of uni. In fact, if I had to choose between the opportunity to finish my final year at university or torturing an innocent animal, I would definitely choose torturing an innocent animal. I think my future is more important than a rodent's life (don't we kill rodents every day in the most horrible ways possible? Mouse traps etc).

True...
Original post by ArtGoblin
One of the stupidest posts I have ever seen on here.

Edit: Can someone explain why meat eating is necessary? Or if it's my rudeness you have a problem with, why my post is deemed neg-worthy and his isn't?

Eating meat is necessary because we can't let all that essential nitrogenous stuff go to waste. When all that nitrogenous stuff aforementioned accumulates because nobody's there to eat it and thus allow nature to go about its natural cycle, there will be dire consequences: pollution. Then we'll all die because of your altruism.
Erm he was drunk when he did it. Obviously he didn't mean it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending