The Student Room Group

President has the right to use drones in the USA on American citizens

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
OK, this is an OTT reaction. The statement didn't actually achieve what the Senate wanted, but rather continued to remain ambigious- which is how the Obama adminstration have benn on the drone issue. The statement wasn't intent on given global authorisation but rather answer, ambigously, whether Obama is able to attack US citizen in US.

US won't be using the drone in UK anytime soon.

Of course not, but you don't find it bizarre that such a thing can be openly declared in a country of laws by the Attorney General before Congress??
Reply 141
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Of course not, but you don't find it bizarre that such a thing can be openly declared in a country of laws by the Attorney General before Congress??

No. It is the US.
Original post by Drewski
I think it'll be more fractious than that. There have been some communities accepting the western forces, other tribes welcoming them and then the Taliban and others actively fighting against. Could see it turn into a number of smaller states. Unless someone supplants Karzai and is able to hold it together better, but I don't hold out much hope for that.

What's been achieved? Relatively little. The nationalistic angle - as far as I'm concerned - is that it took the fight to them, rather than letting them fight elsewhere. The camps and the training have been interrupted. But beyond that, not very much. Went in with the right intentions, just with fuzzy actual aims and little to no idea about the long term of it all. Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but without the good intentions, what are we?

When the soviets left 90% of the country was under government control. The tribes always fight as they always fight over the border in Pakistan. The mujahideen spent more time fighting each other than they did the soviets.

whats been achieved. Life expectancy rate increased from about 36 to over 60. Re introduction of education, sanitation, electricity etc. remember its a big job but lots have been achieved with still more to do and that's why we need to not forget about it.

your comment about fractious state is correct but that's always been the case. They'll hold it together. They always have. Different world, different culture, different mind set and different norms.
Original post by 419
No. It is the US.

Why not? Proportional force and all that.

Not really. They're just approving the use of one type of weapon system should the need arise. If its time sensitive they don't need to waste time discussing it.

remember the riots? Should we deploy water cannon? Should we not? The discussion was held so next time we have riots the water cannon can be deployed by the police without government delay
Of course, it wouldn't in any way influence your views that you are ex-RAF, would it.

I thought this was a student forum, not a military forum.

It is a student forums, a student forum where you can freely speak about any topic.

Anyway, you're the one who started a thread about a military topic. IDIOT!
Reply 146
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why not? Proportional force and all that.

Yes and just a lack of accountability. Like with this statement, the reaction hasn't focused about the use of drone outside of us, it's been focused on how dare our government have the power to even think about attacking us in our country. Americans still overtly see themselves as superior beings to other nationals.
Original post by Drewski

And people in the military aren't allowed to have been students? Or remain on the forum to offer advice to other people wishing to join the Forces? Please don't tell me you're one of those people who assumes everyone in the Armed Forces is a secondary school drop out without any GCSEs...

Nice to meet you again (on his site). :smile:

She just doesn't seem to realise anything. Yeah, she probably thinks that every armed forces member is a drop out! :tongue:
Original post by 419
Yes and just a lack of accountability. Like with this statement, the reaction hasn't focused about the use of drone outside of us, it's been focused on how dare our government have the power to even think about attacking us in our country. Americans still overtly see themselves as superior beings to other nationals.

Hows this different to just shooting somebody. Predators are a great piece if kit. Incidentally you may want to read this before you start saying the yanks are pushing people around.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_attacks_in_Pakistan

it would appear that the Pakistanis let it happen.
Of course, I meant it as a reflection on the absurdity of the current situation, the main point of the thread is that the insane situation has arisen that the US Attorney can assure Congress that the US President has the legal right to target US civilians for assassination using drone strikes anywhere in the world - including in the USA! I was curious about just how far such a bizarre development could be taken.

The truth is that the security state madness, war paranoia and 'terrorist threat' psychosis have reached fever pitch and the US security establishment and authorities are using it (as here) to demolish civil liberties and democratic government.

If this was what Bin Laden had in mind (assuming he really was the mastermind of 9/11 - we still await proof beyond his own ramblings and US propaganda of that one) he is pretty much achieving his goals.

If you look back in history the most powerful countries are generally bullies. The US have the most technologically advanced military ever seen, let them use this to their full capability. It'll help them scare enemies and allies.

You really are stupid. They're making sure their military is growing and keeping up to date with modern technologies, what's wrong with that? They're trying to remain on top, a strong military helps this happen.

You're a crazy hippie. What democracy are they destroying? In fact, they're making sure the Afghani people have some sort of democracy.
I was responding to the tone of many of the postings, which seems to be about discussing the detail of robotic warfare rather than the moral context.

There does seem to me to be a tone of "it's all fine - relax and let the experts take care of it" coming out of the military-influenced or connected people here.

I can't think of a single valid reason why we civilian students should take note of the words of military people on this. Over and over and over again during the last years, we have been systematically lied to about almost every aspect of these wars.

You may be a perfectly nice military man for all I know, you may have valid points, but it's just hard to listen, given what is transpiring. At the moment, what we see is the US resorting to remote-control killing as the 'solution' to Afghanistan, when it is no such thing. It is a vile abuse of human rights and the results will come home to roost.

I responded to your moral arguments, I clearly said that civilian casualties happen but there is a much larger, much more important goal. Small loss=large gain.

How have you been systematically lied to? The government does not need to release all their information to 'civilian students'.

There isn't just remote control killing going on, there are infantrymen out there fighting. It's not black and white you know. You think it's so easy to completely change a country that's been in fractions for a very long time, it's not so easy to do that. You need to intertwine with the population and the culture, we're doing that as well but we must get rid of the extremists. They're the ones that have started the war, we're the ones that are going to end it. The Afghan military is terrible. we're lending them a hand. Telling them to do this, and to do that.

Were our operations in the Yugoslav War destroying human rights?

Were our operations in the Gulf War destroying human rights?

Civilian casualties happen, they happen but victory is more important.
Original post by lonelybrummie
I responded to your moral arguments, I clearly said that civilian casualties happen but there is a much larger, much more important goal. Small loss=large gain.

How have you been systematically lied to? The government does not need to release all their information to 'civilian students'.

There isn't just remote control killing going on, there are infantrymen out there fighting. It's not black and white you know. You think it's so easy to completely change a country that's been in fractions for a very long time, it's not so easy to do that. You need to intertwine with the population and the culture, we're doing that as well but we must get rid of the extremists. They're the ones that have started the war, we're the ones that are going to end it. The Afghan military is terrible. we're lending them a hand. Telling them to do this, and to do that.

Were our operations in the Yugoslav War destroying human rights?

Were our operations in the Gulf War destroying human rights?

Civilian casualties happen, they happen but victory is more important.

Well there is other remote killing going on in the form of IEDs.

its hard to transfer western values to out there. One of the most disturbing things I saw was a group of children leading a heard of goats through a minefield followed up by their father. One of our guys berated the father until he explained that his goats were more valuable than his children as they weren't of an age for earning an income. There's a reason they have big families out there. They don't expect them all to survive and life is cheap. However NATO service personnel always used western standards and always attempted to minimise the risks to civilians. It's just a pity the other guys didnt care about it as much.
Well there is other remote killing going on in the form of IEDs.

its hard to transfer western values to out there. One of the most disturbing things I saw was a group of children leading a heard of goats through a minefield followed up by their father. One of our guys berated the father until he explained that his goats were more valuable than his children as they weren't of an age for earning an income. There's a reason they have big families out there. They don't expect them all to survive and life is cheap. However NATO service personnel always used western standards and always attempted to minimise the risks to civilians. It's just a pity the other guys didnt care about it as much.

That's what we're trying to tell her, she just doesn't listen.
That's what we're trying to tell her, she just doesn't listen.

I guess she'll be getting freaked out when she reads this then

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1995/srg_str_00002-01-180604.pdf

http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/23/cctv-sky-police-plan-drones
UAVs coming to the uk soon
(edited 11 years ago)
I guess she'll be getting freaked out when she reads this then

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1995/srg_str_00002-01-180604.pdf

UAVs coming to the uk soon

She's so annoying. I mean she doesn't listen to anyone, I'd hate to meet her in real life.

That'll kill her! :biggrin:
She's so annoying. I mean she doesn't listen to anyone, I'd hate to meet her in real life.

That'll kill her! :biggrin:

Shes not annoying. She just holds a different viewpoint based on bounded rationality
Shes not annoying. She just holds a different viewpoint based on bounded rationality

True.

She doesn't listen to anyone other than herself though. I mean she keeps on going on about how drones do this and that, yet she doesn't see what good we do and what bad the enemy does.
Original post by Inzamam99
Apologist implies I'am somehow directly or indirectly defending the Taliban when in actual fact my aim is to demonstrate to you not only your hypocrisy but that of the West and the latter's misguided policies. In terms of human cost, Taliban atrocities have been admittedly worse but your strategy of making the Northern Alliance the good guys on the basis that they have killed less is a touch flawed. People like Dostum are still responsible for the deaths of thousands of people and indeed currently it is you who stands as an apologetic for murderers and warlords not me. Scapegoating Pakistan of course is a fairly common approach for the West which continues to try and shovel off the blame for the mess in Afghanistan on any other party it possibly can.

I'll reply in full later.

I've never defended Dostum, once again putting words in my mouth. The only Northern Alliance faction I advocated was Ahmad Shah Massoud's. I'd like to know where I'm even defending the actions of Northern Alliance? If you bother to actually re-read my post, I said the Mujahideen were the 'freedom fighters'. Just as the Taliban is not the same, neither is the Northern Alliance. There's no scapegoating of Pakistan, they are guilty of everything I accuse them of, are you denying they fully backed the Taliban? Are you denying they continue to support them today, even while sending troops to die fighting them?
Sure, the UIF were hardly angels, but they (Massoud's faction) advocated a secular democracy with equal rights, and were by far the lesser of two evils. They certainly wouldn't have harboured Al Qaeda and allowed them to plan attacks on the West. There's no hypocrisy at all, you need to stop trying to compare unequal situations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 158
Hows this different to just shooting somebody. Predators are a great piece if kit. Incidentally you may want to read this before you start saying the yanks are pushing people around.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_attacks_in_Pakistan

it would appear that the Pakistanis let it happen.

Where have I purported this assertion? I don't get what you're asking or trying to get out of me.
Original post by miser
The US has already used drones in extra-judicial killings of US citizens outside of America. If Americans have that right outside of America, why not in America too? America's judiciary system is exceptionally dangerous.

They aren't extra-judicial. All of these strikes have been against enemy combatants - a legitimate target under IHL and American law. The strikes are regulated by the issues of Congress and are open to challenge in US courts. To suggest they happen purely outside of the legal realm is specious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending