The Student Room Group

Who else here calls a 'cast' a 'pot'?

*Talking to my flatmate about my brother's hand (he broke it last week)*

Flatmate: Is he having a pot on his hand?
Me: A what?
Flatmate: A pot
Me: What's that?
Flatmate: You put it on your arm
Me: Huh? Do you mean a cast?
Flatmate: Don't you call it a pot?

I have reached the conclusion that NHS Yorkshire must be experiencing serious cuttbacks :redface:

Same with the whole 'breadcake' vs. 'bread roll' debate.

You northerners really do flummox me sometimes :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never heard it referred to as a pot before. I live near Manchester. Before clicking on this thread, I wasn't even sure what "cast" it would be e.g. as in the actors/actresses for something or cast in the sense you are talking about.
Reply 2
I would do if it was old school plaster of paris and pot like... but casts usually seem to be made out of high tech glass reinforced plastic now, calling one of those 'pot' wouldn't seem apt.
Reply 3
Never heard of it being called a pot.
Reply 4
A pot is something that holds a plant, or noodles, or soup, or tea, or gold under the rainbow.
Not hands.
Reply 5
I love this thread! My boyfriend is from West Yorkshire and we have had that exact discussion! I'm from Surrey and had never heard the term before chatting to him. And the bread cake/bread roll debate too. I think this thread has made my day! Ha!
Reply 6
It's "cast", and "bread roll"

And "bath" is pronounced "barth", not "bahth", dammit. :lol:
Original post by Redolent
And "bath" is pronounced "barth", not "bahth", dammit. :lol:

I don't see an r in bath, sorry
Reply 8
I call it a pot!
And anyone who says there is a wrong and a right way to pronounce, bath, grass etc has obviously never heard of the words: accent and dialect.
Reply 9
Original post by + polarity -
I don't see an r in bath, sorry

I don't see a 'z' in the word "boys" but it's still pronounced "boyz". :awesome:

Original post by 747-400
I call it a pot!
And anyone who says there is a wrong and a right way to pronounce, bath, grass etc has obviously never heard of the words: accent and dialect.

Or they're joking
Reply 10
My friend once told me her mum was getting a pot on her ankle. I thought she was trying to be funny :dontknow: I'd never heard it before that.
Reply 11
I live in Manchester and have never heard it being a pot before, just a plaster cast or a cast
Since meeting my Northern boyfriend (West Yorks) I have been in a constant bread roll/ break cake/ tea cake/ cob/ butty argument.

It went too far when he got his mum to call me and explain to me I'm wrong for thinking tea cakes have raisins, are toasted and served with butter in charming tea shops on posh high streets in the South.

While I know I'm exaggerating with my above description, it annoys me about how passionate he is that bread rolls are tea cakes, casts are pots, Yorkshire puddings and gravy is a meal on its own (?!), SPAM fritters are edible and a curd tart is a normal thing.

I also get yelled at for saying bath like 'Baarf' not 'baff'.

I had better prepare myself for UoH 2013 :')
Reply 13
Confused Scottish person here, so does most of England pronounce "bath" as "barth"?? In my head only the strongest of English accents would do that.
I've never heard pot before, I'd say bread roll, but I would eat Yorkshire puddings and gravy as a meal on its own :smile:

Also teacakes = Tunnocks ones, with marshmallow?
Hahahaha, yeah in Yorkshire that's what we call it! Although I have heard the term 'cast' as well :smile:
I've been living and studying at Hull for 3 years and my best mate is from yorkshire. Never, ever have I heard the term 'pot' in use
Original post by Clioashlee
Since meeting my Northern boyfriend (West Yorks) I have been in a constant bread roll/ break cake/ tea cake/ cob/ butty argument.

It went too far when he got his mum to call me and explain to me I'm wrong for thinking tea cakes have raisins, are toasted and served with butter in charming tea shops on posh high streets in the South.

While I know I'm exaggerating with my above description, it annoys me about how passionate he is that bread rolls are tea cakes, casts are pots, Yorkshire puddings and gravy is a meal on its own (?!), SPAM fritters are edible and a curd tart is a normal thing.

I also get yelled at for saying bath like 'Baarf' not 'baff'.

I had better prepare myself for UoH 2013 :')

If you mean Hull or Hudderfield then there is no problem with this. :tongue:
Original post by Guru Jason
If you mean Hull or Hudderfield then there is no problem with this. :tongue:

Huddersfield! My grandparents are devastated that I'm slowly moving further and further north :')
Original post by conway!
Confused Scottish person here, so does most of England pronounce "bath" as "barth"?? In my head only the strongest of English accents would do that.

I live in Bath and here we call it 'Barth'. Don't know about the rest of England, but trust the locals :biggrin:

(My Mum's family come from Leicester and call it 'Bahth', so it must change somewhere north of the M4).
If I stayed in a hotel in Barth I would want a room with a baath.

Latest