The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Mass Media AQA

Can anyone help me with whether the first 33 mark question was about Ownership and control or simply about the new media? I wrote both to save myself from a re-take, but I'm just so not sure!

Anyone?
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wrote about both too! If I had chosen just one then I doubt it would have been enough, also my teacher told me that if the question hints at two things then write about them. I'm so worried…I feel like I just spat information onto the page without making any sense :/

What did you write for the 9 marker?
Reply 2
As I said elsewhere, it could be on anything as long as it related back to the question. Mainly pluralism (which is a part of O and C) and active audiences but as long as you could link it it didn't matter too much. No real wrong answer for 33 marks unless you're absolutely miles off, which you're not.
Reply 3
Original post by williwould
I wrote about both too! If I had chosen just one then I doubt it would have been enough, also my teacher told me that if the question hints at two things then write about them. I'm so worried…I feel like I just spat information onto the page without making any sense :/

What did you write for the 9 marker?

9 marker.. I wrote about symbolic annihilation, limited roles, 'Glass ceiling' women make up 50% of advertising but are only 26% managers and 15% execs, the male gaze, the beauty ideal, slimness. I could have written so much more but ran out of time and I wrote a page of CRAP.

And I wrote about EVERYTHING for the 33 marker, pluralism, postmodernism, marxism, neophiliacs and cross evaluated it haha. Three pages of absolute rubbish.

Respresentation was so easy, I will pick up most of my marks there. Hope it went well for you!
Reply 4
Original post by JD95
As I said elsewhere, it could be on anything as long as it related back to the question. Mainly pluralism (which is a part of O and C) and active audiences but as long as you could link it it didn't matter too much. No real wrong answer for 33 marks unless you're absolutely miles off, which you're not.

Haha...yup I literally wrote every approach and cross-evaluated within each other. I was running on around 50% revision productivity beforehand and everything contained was what I revised...how fortunate!
Reply 5
Original post by und3niable_
9 marker.. I wrote about symbolic annihilation, limited roles, 'Glass ceiling' women make up 50% of advertising but are only 26% managers and 15% execs, the male gaze, the beauty ideal, slimness. I could have written so much more but ran out of time and I wrote a page of CRAP.

And I wrote about EVERYTHING for the 33 marker, pluralism, postmodernism, marxism, neophiliacs and cross evaluated it haha. Three pages of absolute rubbish.

Respresentation was so easy, I will pick up most of my marks there. Hope it went well for you!

Thank you! I'm glad, I think you covered a few more bases than me though! I didn't mention the glass ceiling specifically but everything else was pretty much in there somewhere haha. Agree with you on representations and the 33 marker. I exploit the fact that they can't take marks off, so I like to write as much as I can incase ANYTHING helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you! I'm glad, I think you covered a few more bases than me though! I didn't mention the glass ceiling specifically but everything else was pretty much in there somewhere haha. Agree with you on representations and the 33 marker. I exploit the fact that they can't take marks off, so I like to write as much as I can incase ANYTHING helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yea..like literally. Even if you're wrong they ignore it and focus on the right things. Last year unit 2 education- the research methods question was about stats and the ADV...guess who wrote about ADV+DIS. And still got 118/120 :tongue:

Sociology is great in that respect!
Reply 7
So what did you get then? Any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
So what did you get then? Any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

An A, yourself?
Reply 9
Well done! I got an A in my retake of the education module and also an A in the media so I'm very happy :smile: 1 B and 2 A's now so hopefully an A overall!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Well done! I got an A in my retake of the education module and also an A in the media so I'm very happy :smile: 1 B and 2 A's now so hopefully an A overall!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm depends on the UMS. I have a solid A now. Just need a 94 in unit 4 for an A* otherwise I should get an A with hard work
Reply 11
Yeah I think most A Levels depend on the UMS…should hopefully get an A with hard work as well. Can't really say…who knows how the actual exam will go

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah I think most A Levels depend on the UMS…should hopefully get an A with hard work as well. Can't really say…who knows how the actual exam will go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could get a high B and still get an A..but I don't wanna f**k with my university place. I only have one firm :/
Reply 13
I'm quite optimistic about things like that though. I've got friends who are at unis despite getting 2 or even 3 grades lower than they were offered (strange, I know). I also see clearing as a saviour rather than the last resort that my sixth form think it is. Where is your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'm quite optimistic about things like that though. I've got friends who are at unis despite getting 2 or even 3 grades lower than they were offered (strange, I know). I also see clearing as a saviour rather than the last resort that my sixth form think it is. Where is your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My firm is UEA. I need AAB. It's gonna be a stretch this year. I need to start consolidating crime and deviance. Can't afford to fluke another A.

What's your firm and insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Loughborough is my insurance but I'll be firming Plymouth because it's closer to home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Loughborough is my insurance but I'll be firming Plymouth because it's closer to home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool...good luck! :biggrin: Let me know how you get on in august. I'll drop you a contact request
Reply 17
Thanks, you too! It's good to talk to someone about it because I'm the only one left doing sociology in my school now. Speak soon!
Reply 18
Anyone got any predictions for the scly3 media paper in June?
Reply 19
Original post by emmab0
Anyone got any predictions for the scly3 media paper in June?

Sorry, no. I can suggest looking at the relationship between the topics for jan and June papers in recent years. You'll see that it resembles quite similarly. Then revise those topics strongly for the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending