The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revising for Summer exams?

Scroll to see replies

15 exams, 3 science resits after getting B's. Running low on motivation. Need some. Arghh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3mma_gal96
15 exams, 3 science resits after getting B's. Running low on motivation. Need some. Arghh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

stick a calendar up at your study space and mark the days with exams, 3 months until your university fate is decided
Original post by soohyun_hoon
On weekdays I revise 6 hours, and on weekends, around 12 hours to 15 hours - I know it isn't good to revise so much, especially all in one go, though I get complained at if I don't. Right now, my parents are in the next room, so I just secretly take breaks :] - I used to watch tv from the time I wake up until I sleep, but I cut it back to 40 mins a day at most

Edit: And I still get complained that I'm doing too little revision -.-

Flipping heck, that is seriously unhealthy. Tell your parents to shove it where the sun don't shine, too much revision like that can actually harm rather than help! Short bursts, with a reward afterwards, are much better than slogfests.
Original post by ADAOBI123
yessssss !! ive got 9 exams !!!!! 5 resits-which are all AS.....Lord help me

i have got 8 exams and dey re all as aswell! college is soo hard? wt subject are u doing?
Not had the best results but not sure if i revise now if it will stay in my head seen as the exams are a couple of months away... Is it worth the risk of forgetting... I don't think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Er...No.

However, it dawned on me this morning that the reason I'm currently sitting nice and happily on a B rather than the A I need in Maths was because I didn't take the A/S exams seriously enough and pretty much failed them (by the standards I was hoping for).

I am now left with ABB, but need A in Maths to get to the university I want to get to in September but have A in ICT right now.

I'll definitely start revising earlier or at the very least thoroughly reviewing each topic after we've gone through it in class from now. I guess I'm more motivated to try harder than I've ever been, which is nice.
Reply 86
I'm going to start next week. I have 7 AS exams since I didn't do Jan exams.
Reply 87
I should be starting this weekend. Need to make a mini revision plan, being in A2 June is my last chance-then it's August and that's it.
After getting horrible results, I've started today after college. Just did 1 hour and a half and hopefully doing more after I get a fee things done.
Aiming for B"s but a C will satisfy me I suppose.
Any revision techniques?
Yes from today i got exams 1 resist which i got a u in :frown:((
Reply 90
Would it be possible to leave Biology and Chemistry until mid march before I look at them again? I really am fed up with both of them tbh

eugh
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Flipping heck, that is seriously unhealthy. Tell your parents to shove it where the sun don't shine, too much revision like that can actually harm rather than help! Short bursts, with a reward afterwards, are much better than slogfests.

Try telling that to my parents - my dad will end up shouting at me, and my mum will nag, like normal

Disadvantages of having strict parents :frown:
I started today, managed 4 hours before I started losing focus. :frown:
Original post by Wick3d
I started today, managed 4 hours before I started losing focus. :frown:

4 is way too much, id do inbetween 2-3 hours and take 30 min break then repeat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
LZS
OP
Original post by CosmicVengeance
4 is way too much, id do inbetween 2-3 hours and take 30 min break then repeat

Posted from TSR Mobile

What results do you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Right I've started, scared myself today thinking of everything I've got to do :tongue: Going to try and carry on doing C3 before I forget it all completely, and I've put the organic synthesis thingy back on my wall so I can keep looking at that for my Chem4 resit. I just keep telling myself to suck it up and that this is what everyone will have to do next year :tongue:
Reply 96
LZS
OP
Do posters of specific things help? For example if I was to put some spanish tense rules on my bedroom wall where I would see them a lot, would it help me to learn them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by LZS
Do posters of specific things help? For example if I was to put some spanish tense rules on my bedroom wall where I would see them a lot, would it help me to learn them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, just occasionally test yourself as well to make sure it's going in. I've done this for memorising maths and chemistry equations a lot :smile:
I was quite happy with my results, got AAA in bio, chem and maths in the end, so my revision technique can't have been too shabby. This is how I've been revising:

- Start revising from the start. Some days I'll do 30 minutes a day, some days I'll do 3 hours a day, sometimes I won't do any revision at all today. Just go over what you did in your lessons that day, read the pages over, make sure you understand it all. If not, work at it until you do. If it only takes 5 minutes to understand everything, just leave it at that, and relax.

- In your free periods, actually do work. I usually do revision in this time. I usually alternate between bio and chem, and it just helps to refresh my memory so I don't forget things. I usually do maths solomon papers in the morning before college starts, just to try and slot some revision in.

- I usually save my homework until the weekend, but I don't do any revision at the weekends.

- Most of the time, don't bother wasting your time on pretty posters etc. Just learn it.

- Do all past papers when you've finished the syllabus. Then do them all again just before your exam. Memorise the mark schemes, key phrases etc. (Mostly applies to bio and chem).
I never bothered reading around the syllabus/reading examiners reports etc. I tried it, but felt like I was wasting my time.

Hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by calla_lily
I probably ought to but my teachers literally won't stop setting us pointless work that we are learning nothing from. I would love to spend my time making my own notes and reading textbooks but I just don't have the time at the moment. I think I'm okay for maths, but the other subjects need a lot of work!!

Ignore the teachers work. My friend works his ass off, 5 A's at AS and 3 A's at A2 so far, all 90% in Chem, Economics, Maths and Biology and Further Maths at AS. He completely disregards all of the homework's we set unless he thinks it necessary and beneficial to him, doing his own work instead. As long as the teachers know you're working and you're on track to get the best grades you can they should let you off.

Quick Reply

Latest